Buck Bedding vs. Bear Bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

CHMJ0914

Buck Bedding vs. Bear Bedding

Unread postby CHMJ0914 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:18 am

So I've just recently scouted some hill country that I have always turkey hunted. Last spring I was walking out of the turkey woods when and I spooked a black bear that was bedding on the leeward side of a hill off of a small knob. I just scouted that same hillside a couple days ago and I found a bunch of beds on that same knob. There was white belly hair in all of the beds and there were probably 4 or 5 beds around the knob. I'm no bear hunter but I've heard of bears having a very strong sense of smell, will they bed like whitetail's?

Use your reason, but trust in god.
KLEMZ

Re: Buck Bedding vs. Bear Bedding

Unread postby KLEMZ » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:03 am

I also know nothing about bear hunting, but I have found mature buck bedding that also was used by bears. This is in far northern Wisconsin. I plan to put a camera right above the bed this spring (and leave it there for 6 months) to see what the heck is going on. My interpretation of the beds is based on finding big buck tracks, poops, and white belly hairs in a much larger than typical "bed", and also, finding fresh bear tracks and tree clawings. It is not the typical buck bedding though.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”