Overlooked Spots - The Burbs

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NH Teufelhund

Overlooked Spots - The Burbs

Unread postby NH Teufelhund » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:34 pm

It looks like many beasts are getting mature deer in overlooked public spots based on the recent poll. We all know the basics of these spots based on Dans articles and podcasts, and if you don’t know what I mean then you better start googling.

So my question is, does this apply to urban areas? I’ve been to Wisconsin in Dans neck of the woods and it’s not like southern New Hampshire. Folks in the northeast know what I mean. I just feel that every bit of land near roads is preasured hard round here. But I feel like I must be wrong! And that exact mentality is creating overlooked gems. But if that’s true, what are the characteristics of overlooked gems in suburbia?

One thing I think might be a characteristic is proximity to shopping malls like wal mart and Kohl’s. Not even kidding. There seems to always be thick stuff near by without tons of stands. But what else makes up the overlooked gem chriteria in suburbiA?

ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Re: Overlooked Spots - The Burbs

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:34 pm

I'm here in MA and do a lot of suburban hunting. There are some spots that are overlooked and close to the road. It's usually where there's no parking anywhere near by. Think of it like this. Most guys are kind of lazy. If they have to walk deep into the woods or walk far along a road - either way they avoid long walks. I have my GF drop me off in what I call a tactical insertion. She won't do the mornings though so it's evenings or the walk for me.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:09 pm

The burbs overlooked areas are the same as any other just the property lines are much smaller and most of the timber is just drainages that won't allow for development.

Have not hunted those kind of areas in many a moon due to the aggravation it caused me. Eithier other hunters, dogs, hikers or just the sound of people took away from my enjoyment. However, there's giant bucks in those areas and if it was my only option I would jump on it again.

Overlooked areas that have worked the best for me in those conditions were quite honestly getting permission where others couldn't. Every town has rumors of the mean old man who hates hunters and curses you up and down if u ask. This is most often not the case at all! When the patch of timber is only 30 yards wide and its littered with stands for miles your chances are slim to none. Eithier get in somewhere no one else can or look for alternative travel routes that avoid those heavily hunted timbered areas. These were usually just brushy ditches or fence rows through pretty open areas. No tree stand needed lol. Also had some luck on overgrown foreclosed properties. In any case it was my opinion that these deer just don't move as much as deer with more acerage. The have much more to worry about than your average woodlot deer. Even during the rut last light always seem to get the most action if I remember correct.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
NH Teufelhund

Unread postby NH Teufelhund » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:22 am

ThePreBanMan wrote:what I call a tactical insertion.

Love that :lol:
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:42 am

Yes there are many overlooked spots!

Most of these spots are best used during the rut as ambush spots and located around Doe's / travel corridors...

As long as you don't mind listening to kids play, leaf blowers or lawn mowers you'll fit right in...

I've watched people eating at their kitchen tables as the sun dropped!
I've tracked deer by finding an old basketball that had drops of blood on it...

You get the point ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Prairie Sasquatch
500 Club

Unread postby Prairie Sasquatch » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:31 am

I think people would be surprised how many deer there are in some suburban areas. I live in a small development with 2.5 acre lots. My trail camera in the back yard had 6 bucks on it last fall with one really big 6x6. It was during the rut that he showed up so I’m not sure where he is most of the time but I’m sure going to try and find him this summer.

I don’t hunt my yard as these deer only come around at night with the activity and dogs but I hunt the land around it and shot my buck last fall about 300 yards away from my house on a neighbors property. The key is to get permission on anything you can even if it’s small. If you live in the area and present yourself well you would be surprised what’s hidden and available to hunt.
Prairie Sasquatch
500 Club

Unread postby Prairie Sasquatch » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:32 am

I think people would be surprised how many deer there are in some suburban areas. I live in a small development with 2.5 acre lots. My trail camera in the back yard had 6 bucks on it last fall with one really big 6x6. It was during the rut that he showed up so I’m not sure where he is most of the time but I’m sure going to try and find him this summer.

I don’t hunt my yard as these deer only come around at night with the activity and dogs but I hunt the land around it and shot my buck last fall about 300 yards away from my house on a neighbors property. The key is to get permission on anything you can even if it’s small. If you live in the area and present yourself well you would be surprised what’s hidden and available to hunt.
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:26 am

I liked this podcast about suburban bowhunting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7EFKUXB8I4

I wish they gave more details about their setups....but that's understandable haha.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:40 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:The burbs overlooked areas are the same as any other just the property lines are much smaller and most of the timber is just drainages that won't allow for development.

Have not hunted those kind of areas in many a moon due to the aggravation it caused me. Eithier other hunters, dogs, hikers or just the sound of people took away from my enjoyment. However, there's giant bucks in those areas and if it was my only option I would jump on it again.

Overlooked areas that have worked the best for me in those conditions were quite honestly getting permission where others couldn't. Every town has rumors of the mean old man who hates hunters and curses you up and down if u ask. This is most often not the case at all! When the patch of timber is only 30 yards wide and its littered with stands for miles your chances are slim to none. Eithier get in somewhere no one else can or look for alternative travel routes that avoid those heavily hunted timbered areas. These were usually just brushy ditches or fence rows through pretty open areas. No tree stand needed lol. Also had some luck on overgrown foreclosed properties. In any case it was my opinion that these deer just don't move as much as deer with more acerage. The have much more to worry about than your average woodlot deer. Even during the rut last light always seem to get the most action if I remember correct.

I agree boogie urban areas in extreme south jersey i hunted urban pieces for a few years and its just a nightmare. Every other house on the block had a bait pile behind it. There were stands every 80-100 yards. The middle of these pieces were the best but you walk through bedding to get to bedding.and every guy who hunted behind his house owned it. It was his woods. Ive heard the line ive been hunting this woods for 10 years its mine. Lol. it just was totaly frustrating. And just discouraging and not very enjoyable at all. Ive ran into people on urban pieces who would want to fight over stand locations. Just ridiculous behavior. I gave up on it very quickly after a few seasons. I did kill couple decent 2-1/2 year olds though when i hunted between peoples bait piles. Guys would get so mad. Lol. You cut me off!! Etc.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:15 am

TheBuckPsych wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:The burbs overlooked areas are the same as any other just the property lines are much smaller and most of the timber is just drainages that won't allow for development.

I agree boogie urban areas in extreme south jersey i hunted urban pieces for a few years and its just a nightmare. Every other house on the block had a bait pile behind it. There were stands every 80-100 yards. The middle of these pieces were the best but you walk through bedding to get to bedding.and every guy who hunted behind his house owned it. It was his woods. Ive heard the line ive been hunting this woods for 10 years its mine. Lol. it just was totaly frustrating. And just discouraging and not very enjoyable at all. Ive ran into people on urban pieces who would want to fight over stand locations. Just ridiculous behavior. I gave up on it very quickly after a few seasons. I did kill couple decent 2-1/2 year olds though when i hunted between peoples bait piles. Guys would get so mad. Lol. You cut me off!! Etc.

Sounds like you had a lil rougher situation than myself lol. Majority of my troubles came from dogs or kids ditching school. Best one was this husband and wife getting in a screaming match a 100 yards away. That poor buzzard got called every name in the book, I mean got his privates verbally assaulted. I couldn't stop snickering to save my life.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:33 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
TheBuckPsych wrote:

Sounds like you had a lil rougher situation than myself lol. Majority of my troubles came from dogs or kids ditching school. Best one was this husband and wife getting in a screaming match a 100 yards away. That poor buzzard got called every name in the book, I mean got his privates verbally assaulted. I couldn't stop snickering to save my life.

Oh yea ive overheard that too. Lol.
The best one was. I swear its so wrong and against everything I believe in i love my wife and family with all my heart and always will. But this was hilarious and like a movie. There was a certain piece i hunted it was really behind houses in a development. Well a spot i had behind this certain house was pretty good. I sat there quite a bit in the afternoon well this gentleman who had resided at this house i hunted behined drove a hot rod camaro. He would come home from work at around 5 every day. I sat there one night and he pulled up like clockwork and all of a sudden here comes another guy exploding out of the back door of the house and yes with no pants on and trying to get dressed. He ran right by me and circled back and ran into the house next door. So its pretty obvious the wife was not very faithful to him. It was like a movie i was peeing myself laughing when this happened. I do wonder if that guy ever found out about his wifes infindelity. I hope so. Lol. It was terrible but hilarious. Movielike
cw2gsp

Unread postby cw2gsp » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:46 am

IMO its nearly impossible to find spots in the bottom half of NH that doesn't have some level of hunting pressure. There's just not big enough woods around here. By the time you get back in 2 miles your already standing at another access point.

That said you are spot on. The one thing I've been focusing on is overlooked spots. This might sound silly but one of the things I do is find the small recreation area's with hiking trails and hunt very close to these trails. Seems like other hunters avoid them and the hikers don't set foot off the trails. I haven't killed a 6 year old buck in these spots yet but I've seen plenty of dandy's that I'd be happy to hang on my wall. The deer seem to tolerate my scent more. If you scroll through Dan's hunting log from this year I think he hunted very close to one of these hiking trails as well. Just my 2 cents.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:48 am

My grandfather has five acres, and at the very end and along the side is a little strip of woods, and it attaches to a bigger chunk of woods maybe six acres. On the other side of that is a field. Lining the woods are 5 houses that I can see from my grandfather's yard. His yard is like a playground for does and fawns. Last year I had a family group of six on a trail camera in his yard. Tracks go everywhere. So last year during a late rut he had four different Bucks moving into his yard, all at night. One of them had some of the biggest tracks I've ever seen, and when I caught a glimpse of him on the edge of the camera he was huge above his head ,tall and tight. I'm like most other guys when it comes to hunting, I want to be out where there's nobody around... But these are the woods that I grew up playing in as a little boy, I think it would be awesome to put down a monster that's been just chilling in there with no hunting pressure for years!
I'm looking forward to trying to formulate a plan to get this big guy...
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:39 am

ThePreBanMan wrote:I'm here in MA and do a lot of suburban hunting. There are some spots that are overlooked and close to the road. It's usually where there's no parking anywhere near by. Think of it like this. Most guys are kind of lazy. If they have to walk deep into the woods or walk far along a road - either way they avoid long walks. I have my GF drop me off in what I call a tactical insertion. She won't do the mornings though so it's evenings or the walk for me.

Thats a new Beast term I've never heard...Tactical insertion.... 8-)
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:19 pm

I wouldn’t call the urban spots around me “overlooked”. I know a few spots that I see big bucks on right from the road. Good luck getting permission to hunt them. Everyone has a brother, son or cousin that hunts around here. I had a really good spot that I hunted once. The next time I went to hunt, I was told I couldn’t because a relative heard I was in there and he wanted to hunt it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”