when setting up on a buck should seeing along ways matter or should you just set up where you can kill him

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: when setting up on buck should seeing along ways matter or should you just set up where you can’t kill him?

Unread postby dan » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:16 am

I like to be where I can see, but that is really secondary. #1 is your as close as possible to where he is bedding. At least that's how it works when bed hunting. A lot of the time with t6he big bucks it can be a matter of 20 or 30 yards as to whether you shoot him in daylight or can't shoot.
Ragingun

Re: when setting up on a buck should seeing along ways matter or should you just set up where you can kill him

Unread postby Ragingun » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:46 am

Dan of course nailed it.

As human hunters we use our sight as our main sensory. This gives us limited perspective to truly position ourselves in the best possible location to kill a buck. Good hunters like Dan take this into consideration but allow better judgement when necessary to be the determining factor when choosing a tree. It's very hard to have enough self discipline when it comes to close quarter setups and have the faith in them even when you can't see or shoot past 10 yards.

My 'ole man always preached that it takes ONE deer, ONE lane, and ONE shot. The buck can't walk down 2 trails at the same time, choose the one he is using to the best of your ability.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Re: when setting up on a buck should seeing along ways matter or should you just set up where you can kill him

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:00 am

The spot I am going to hunt the most is pretty solid with cats. Its going to be bang- bang seeing to shooting. 10-20 yard visibility in most places. I found out pretty quickly last season that the places that I could see a long ways for deer, all I saw were young bucks and does.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
llcooljames

Unread postby llcooljames » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:16 am

As close as you can to the bedding the better I think
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:25 am

As close as you can get without him seeing, smelling or hearing you!

As long as you can see decent the direction you expect him to come from.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:36 am

I've killed them both ways, moving right in close as possible for the kill and staying back where I can see, and then moving in. It just depends on how confident I am on the setup. I don't see much reason to hang farther back if I am pretty sure of where he is coming from and where he's going. As long as you can verify it's the one you want before he hits your shooting lane that's about all you need :mrgreen:
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:30 am

pic the best setup buy the wind and thermals distance then visual you cant kill what knows your there. if its hard to see make sure you pre ranged and ready no blogging :lol: no distractions only one thing matters killing the buck.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Jon308

Unread postby Jon308 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:38 am

ghoasthunter wrote:pic the best setup buy the wind and thermals distance then visual you cant kill what knows your there. if its hard to see make sure you pre ranged and ready no blogging :lol: no distractions only one thing matters killing the buck.

True
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:36 am

I prefer to be able to kill them basically at the same time I first see them. Less time for jitters to set in.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:39 am

Bucks travel more in thick cover during daylight hrs. :think:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:09 am

I always enjoy sitting in a spot where I can see deer coming from a long ways off. The excitement builds as they get closer. Probably counter productive for when the moment of truth arrives and your shaking with anticipation. But it makes it fun.

Like has been said hunting big ones means getting close to bedding in thick areas that they feel safe in so your not usually in a spot where your going to be able to see very far. Being able to see deer coming from a ways off and getting a crack at a mature buck are two luxuries that rarely coexist.

After sorting through the plethora of good information on this site I'm going to try to focus more on observation stands this year, so seeing a big buck off in the distance without the expectation of getting a shot is the primary objective there. Then planning the set up in a good ambush spot right up close to seal the deal on short notice will be the result of that spot with the great view.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:09 am

In general, if I’m not in the thick, I’m not in the game.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:13 am

Put it this way, find me a hunter who consistently kills good bucks in open areas on pressured ground. Especially outside of rut. ;)
perchsoup

Unread postby perchsoup » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:07 am

wolverinebuckman wrote:[glow=red]The spot I am going to hunt the most is pretty solid with cats.[/glow] Its going to be bang- bang seeing to shooting. 10-20 yard visibility in most places. I found out pretty quickly last season that the places that I could see a long ways for deer, all I saw were young bucks and does.

Feral cats are really putting a hurting on our wild bird populations. Keep that in mind when the hunting is slow but the cat sightings are thick.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”