Minimum size for Marshes

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

comeback_kid

Minimum size for Marshes

Unread postby comeback_kid » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:23 am

In my area marshes are not too common and this one piece of public does have a small marsh but it's got a road on one side and a well-used walking, running trail on the other side.

So my question is, in your experience, what is the minimum size of a marsh(that's connected to other parts of public) that would hold a mature buck? Particularly keeping in mind that humans are frequently walking on one side of the marsh and a road is on the other

this particular spot is only a few hundred yards wide.

Thanks fellas.

Weaver.b

Re: Minimum size for Marshes

Unread postby Weaver.b » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:37 am

I have little experience to answer this so I would put more stock in some of the repies to follow.

But from the scouting I have done around my area I dont think it matters how big it is. Just last weekend I scouted a spot with a friend that was maybe an acre of cattails that transitioned into hardwoods and was close to pressure. There were many beds in there and a couple mature buck rubs on the transition. Not saying for sure he was bedding in there it could have just been rut action checking doe bedding.

If it is overlooked and has sign id say it is very possible.
When my time upon this earth the days they are fulfilled let me die at least as clean as those I killed
Lockdown

Re: Minimum size for Marshes

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:22 am

It doesn’t take much. If there are terrain features conducive to bedding and the buck sign is there, then that’s all you need. Let the sign tell you if it’s worthy or not. Kind of a generic statement, but it is true no matter where you’re scouting.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”