Minimum size for Marshes

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

comeback_kid

Minimum size for Marshes

Unread postby comeback_kid » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:21 am

In my area marshes are not too common and this one piece of public does have a small marsh but it's got a road on one side and a well-used walking, running trail on the other side.

So my question is, in your experience, what is the minimum size of a marsh(that's connected to other parts of public) that would hold a mature buck? Particularly keeping in mind that humans are frequently walking on one side of the marsh and a road is on the other

this particular spot is only a few hundred yards wide.

Thanks fellas.

tgreeno
500 Club

Re: Minimum size for Marshes

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:05 am

IMO...I don't think there is a minimum. I've jumped bucks out of small little potholes, right next to the road. 100 X 75 yards.

They keys are: Does it provide security? Is it void of human presence?

It doesn't matter if it's next to a walking trail, as long as no walkers ever enter it. Bucks will tolerate human intrusion, yet they'll have an invisible barrier, that you cannot cross or they'll be gone.

Is the sign there? That's the big question.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:04 am

I just found a marsh on public that's pretty close to what you're describing. I bet it isn't 1/2 acre and there was a dang buck bed right in the middle of it under a lone tree!
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:55 am

i found buck beds on a slim pice of brush between a road and a marsh with a large pond very hard access and the beds are probably 20 yards of the road the thicket is 40 yards wide at most but all the beds are on the pond side edge just inside the brush from right on edge to 20 yards in im sure a few are doe beds but there was two big tell tale mature buck beds
so to answer your question i really dont think there is a minimum area . if there is security cover and escape routes and access it could be any size a back yard or a couple 100 -100 square
comeback_kid

Unread postby comeback_kid » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:01 am

tgreeno wrote:IMO...I don't think there is a minimum. I've jumped bucks out of small little potholes, right next to the road. 100 X 75 yards.

It doesn't matter if it's next to a walking trail, as long as no walkers ever enter it. Bucks will tolerate human intrusion, yet they'll have an invisible barrier, that you cannot cross or they'll be gone.

Sounds good guys. Yes it does provide security AND void of human presence. While close to the road and walking trail, I don't think anyone is going in there.

I will know if the sign's there in the next week or two.

Thanks for the input!
BigStick

Unread postby BigStick » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:11 pm

comeback_kid wrote:
tgreeno wrote:IMO...I don't think there is a minimum. I've jumped bucks out of small little potholes, right next to the road. 100 X 75 yards.

Sounds good guys. Yes it does provide security AND void of human presence. While close to the road and walking trail, I don't think anyone is going in there.

I will know if the sign's there in the next week or two.

Thanks for the input!

I agree with the other reply’s. You really need to jump in and see what you can find. I get surprised on some of the bed locations but when you step back and think about why, it all makes sense.

Let us know how it goes and good luck!
comeback_kid

Unread postby comeback_kid » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:28 pm

Was able to get out this afternoon and scouted this marsh. Found a good track in the corn field just below and then in a transition area right on the edge of the marsh. HOWEVER, I did not find one bed and I looked at most of the trees, islands etc. I was surprised.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:03 pm

The bigger the better. Need areas that has the potential for long term survival and can escape gun hunters and the deer not being bumped around like a pinball machine. The bigger and nastier the better
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:22 am

Looks like it's time to move on. Maybe have a look at it again in June, to see if you can find better sign?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:38 am

I recently scouted a marsh right off the road and found awesome sign, it was approximately 50yd x 50yd. IMO it does not matter, just like tgreeno said.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”