New to the beast

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

daveynewman
500 Club

Re: New to the beast

Unread postby daveynewman » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:33 am

Welcome

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:15 pm

Jake1991 wrote:Beasts,
I am beyond ready to dive into the beast style of hunting. It's really speaking to me and I'm eating it up. I've listened to every podcast. I've been browsing through the forums. I've watched some material on YouTube.

I'm hunting a farm that backs up to a 1000 acre wood lot. Farm is 350 acres with about 80 wooded. (So basically 100 acres of hunting ground considering there are a few fields mixed in the woods). The farm is also neighbored by other farms growing crops as well. I have found bedding (which i think is does bedding based off observation) i do not know where the bucks are bedding for sure. Scrapes and rubs are everywhere. I plan on doing pre season glassing. I had two mature bucks on camera past season. Didn't seal the deal on either. And that's where I'm at.

My question: for someone new to this, where should I start? Seems like the hill country bucks DVD is foundational. Should I buy that? Do I just keep reading forums, and watching what videos are on YouTube? I NEED to improve the learning curve as much as possible.

Thanks in advance

if i were you i would buy marsh swamp and hill its all relative to each other and imo teaches you alot of different stuff in different scenerios so just get all three and be done with it . they are worth every cent . you wont regret it
Weaver.b

Unread postby Weaver.b » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:55 pm

I am still fairly new to this but something I have found myself doing is too much reading/research and not enough scouting.

I am not saying its bad to read all this stuff at all. I have learned alot but I finally just had to say alright you have the basics now go and actually apply it!

It has been great. I have been hunting for about 15 years and for the most part have ditched most of the things on how I thought you should hunt deer. Since doing that and switching to beast tactics I am finding beds where I never would have looked and am getting much better at knowing where to look. Good luck man hit the all time best tactical threads and then hit the woods and be amazed at what you find!!
When my time upon this earth the days they are fulfilled let me die at least as clean as those I killed
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:09 pm

Welcome to the Beast!

As soon as you can afford the other DVD’s get those too. (Just make sure you buy them from the HB store and not elsewhere on the web.) All the bedding terrains intermix to a certain extent.

My biggest piece of advice is to know your property intimately. If it’s flat that makes it tougher. Section it off and scout one section at a time until you know everything about it. That will speed up your learning curve so when you do see a target buck you will have something to relate it to.

I hunt farm country and see a lot of the bedding in out of the way drainages and fingers off the “main” body of habitat. Little Rock piles and grassy swales in the middle of standing crops get used too.

If you’ve got some hills it doesn’t take much for them to use the hill bedding tendencies. I see them bedding on points even in 10-15’ elevation changes.

Also, start a journal. That will make it a lot easier to put together patterns and tendencies. Good luck man!
Bonehead

Unread postby Bonehead » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:18 pm

Welcome aboard!
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:31 am

Welcome. There is so much info to take in my advice is to pace yourself. I would start with one topic at a time. Search for every thread/video you can find on that topic then move to the next. Given the time of year I would start with post season/spring scouting. Then move to something like trail cams then summer glassing then stand setups etc... don’t be afraid to bump old threads and ask any questions you have. This place is all about helping and sharing info.

You will be in good shape by this fall and for seasons to come. My biggest advice is not to forget to simply enjoy the process of taking in info and applying it in the woods. Remember that even the most respected and successful hunters all have ups and downs, successes and failures each season. The struggle is part of the journey.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:57 am

Welcome to the beast!!!
Jake1991

Unread postby Jake1991 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:54 pm

Thank you guys for welcoming me and for the advise. I'm excited to watch my DVD as soon as it comes in the mail and I'm excited to obtain a lot of info here on the forum. I've already been browsing that list of tactical threads and reading those. Y'all pointed me in the right direction. Just wanted to say thanks!
SwampThing1980

Unread postby SwampThing1980 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:16 am

Welcome to the Beast way Jake! I myself am fairly new to this and honestly, this is probably the best thing that ever happened to my hunting education curve.. my suggestion is to ask any question you have, read the all time best threads on here and then when you can, go to a scouting session with Dan. This, by far, had the biggest impact on my understanding of the beast way.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:36 am

Welcome to the best hunting forum on the planet. I’d start with the bedding threads and then check out the thread called “why are you on edge all the time”. Those transitions usually have a lot of useful information.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”