Is water a draw in swamps?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

RidgeGhost
500 Club

Is water a draw in swamps?

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:31 pm

I'm heading out to scout a swamp in the next few days and I had a question based on my aerial scouting. Will a buck be attracted to a water hole or pond on a hot day if he is bedding in a swamp? Seems like a dumb question since he is probably surrounded by water where he is bedded but I had to ask. I've noticed some water holes just on the edge of the swamp transitions that have my attention.

Weaver.b

Re: Is water a draw in swamps?

Unread postby Weaver.b » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:43 pm

I have wondered that myself. I know a spot on public where there is a small but deep water hole in some crp type terrain that had alot of tracks around it this summer. I didnt see any big tracks and thought maybe does bedding near there are just going for a quick drink. There is a marsh with better bedding about 300 yards away.
When my time upon this earth the days they are fulfilled let me die at least as clean as those I killed
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:01 pm

I’ve got a spot where deer bed in dry cattails that eventually turns into open water. I have seen them leave the cattails to drink out of a river near by. Then 180 and leave. In that instance I think they prefer to avoid the mud to get to “stank” water and head to the clean water source.

Would it be different if they were bedded on an island and had to walk THROUGH water to get to cleaner water? Maybe. If your water hole is a draw there will be trails. And probably some buck sign by it, but that’s just speculation. If you think it looks good and might be hunt worthy, check that water hole on hunt day for Mr. Big’s tracks.
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:15 pm

By and large, I don't get too excited about water in a swamp. That is like finding a food source in a corn field. Rather, I try to stick a swamp's strengths, bedding and cover, and scout accordingly.
Bogle

Unread postby Bogle » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:17 pm

I would say no unless there is a reason for him to hit it. If it’s located near a food source, does use it during rut or it’s the only available water during really dry years. Down here it seems that hunting water holes is pretty useless unless one of the above scenarios exist.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:23 pm

I usually focus on the water thermals in the swamps vs drinking water. Although lockdown brings up a good point, I think I ready somewhere that moving water is usually cleaner and better for drinking than standing water so any deer might be naturally drawn to that if it is close to a bed. Otherwise its pretty pointless because there can be water everywhere.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:05 pm

headgear wrote:I usually focus on the water thermals in the swamps vs drinking water. Although lockdown brings up a good point, I think I ready somewhere that moving water is usually cleaner and better for drinking than standing water so any deer might be naturally drawn to that if it is close to a bed. Otherwise its pretty pointless because there can be water everywhere.

I agree.

Here’s my two cents. I’ve duck hunted a lot of stinky sloughs. Some smell god awful! The water can’t taste great although I’m sure they do drink it. I’ve seen them drink out of mud puddles that are chocolate brown so obviously they’re opportunists :lol:

The way I look at it is if your only options at home are to drink tap water from the kitchen fawcet that tastes a little off, or bottled water out of the fridge in the basement, which one do you choose? Not sure about you but I’m probably walking past the sink and heading downstairs.

If the water is cleaner and it’s close to bedding, I wouldn’t overlook it.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:29 pm

In my opinion, if a deer is bedded in a swamp with water they won’t be leaving for a different water source. The reason I believe this is because of the security factor. In their bedding area is where they feel the most safe.

Now if it’s farm country and there isn’t a lot of water sources, I would consider looking into nearby ponds, creeks, etc.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:04 am

Imo i think they will use the water source if there is sufficient security cover. But just like food sources it’s probably gonna be at the brink of darkness. At least if its a mature buck and its in his home range
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:15 am

I appreciate the input guys. I figured it would be a mix of responses. Basically it's going to be situational like most things it seems like.

Water holes in the mountains are gold on a hot day if you know where he's bedded.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:22 am

NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:In my opinion, if a deer is bedded in a swamp with water they won’t be leaving for a different water source. The reason I believe this is because of the security factor. In their bedding area is where they feel the most safe.

Now if it’s farm country and there isn’t a lot of water sources, I would consider looking into nearby ponds, creeks, etc.

IMHO in either situation they’ll hit it as long as it’s close and SECURE. I might go to the basement for water, but I’m not walking to the store. In the deer’s case it’s too far and too dangerous.

My Dad hunts the area I mentioned earlier quite a bit. He’s seen the same things I have. They’re probably bedded 30 yards from standing water. But they walk 100-150 to drink out of the river.

I think if that water hole is within 100 yards of his bedding and it’s hot, he just might show during shooting light. Like you said Ridge, lots of variables come into play.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:34 am

Lockdown wrote:
NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:In my opinion, if a deer is bedded in a swamp with water they won’t be leaving for a different water source. The reason I believe this is because of the security factor. In their bedding area is where they feel the most safe.

IMHO in either situation they’ll hit it as long as it’s close and SECURE. I might go to the basement for water, but I’m not walking to the store. In the deer’s case it’s too far and too dangerous.

My Dad hunts the area I mentioned earlier quite a bit. He’s seen the same things I have. They’re probably bedded 30 yards from standing water. But they walk 100-150 to drink out of the river.

I think if that water hole is within 100 yards of his bedding and it’s hot, he just might show during shooting light. Like you said Ridge, lots of variables come into play.

I'm sure what you are saying is very true and have experience with it. In my experience (mostly bigwoods), with the swamp areas we hunt, there can be abundant sources of water for deer. There are not exactly places where you can pin point a singular water source since there are so many. It's almost the same as to try to pin point a food source in bigwoods. It's there, but not all that obvious and it's hard to justify to hunt over one water/food source in bigwoods in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”