8.5 Assualt on Ebay

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ERICBROOKS

8.5 Assualt on Ebay

Unread postby ERICBROOKS » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:25 pm

Just saw there is a 8.5 LW Assualt on Ebay for anyone looking.

Be prepared to shell out some $!!

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Re: 8.5 Assualt on Ebay

Unread postby Rob loper » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:19 am

Yea just the shipping is probably off the hook if its not free. Good find though bro
Enkriss
500 Club

Unread postby Enkriss » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:04 am

link?
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:35 am

You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
tbowers

Unread postby tbowers » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:07 am

How do you tell its the older 8.5lb model? When did they stop making them and move to the 11lb model ?
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:17 am

tbowers wrote:How do you tell its the older 8.5lb model? When did they stop making them and move to the 11lb model ?

On that particular stand I went by the little "ears" off the sides of the platform. Also it has the tree bracket kind of like the sticks have instead of a batwing. The 8.5s have a 1" seat post tube.
tbowers

Unread postby tbowers » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:33 am

I sold an old Assault that must have been the 8.5 lb one just last year on ebay. I found it out on public land, it was all grown into the tree and had to chop it out. I didnt have a need for it at the time so thru it on ol ebay and got $126 for it. Now I wish i would have kept it as I'm in the market for a new lightweight portable. Been using an old API Alum i Loc- which is very lightweight but thought i would try something new
Enkriss
500 Club

Unread postby Enkriss » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:31 am

Thanks.

I have an old sand cast one that I use that is about 8.5lbs or so. Those with the batwing style I thought were a little heavier?
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:32 pm

Enkriss wrote:

Thanks.

I have an old sand cast one that I use that is about 8.5lbs or so. Those with the batwing style I thought were a little heavier?

Yeah this is the model between the sand cast and the assaults with the batwing. I have the model with the 8.5lb platform but with a batwing and bigger tube. Absolutely love mine.

Mine was a short time period before they went to China. Came back and totally changed it to have a wider base
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:56 pm

It's at 165 right now. I paid more than that for mine... Like the OP said - I had to shell out to get my grubby hands on one. But - I got it. Thing is I'm not so sure it was worth it. I weighed it without the strap or set cushion and it was exactly 8.5 pounds. I weighed my brand new assault 2 without straps or seat cushion and it was 9.25 pounds. Was a lot of loot to save under a pound.. The weight difference isn't as drastic as one would think. Remember -the 8.5 pound advertised weight was absent seat and strap. The assault 2 advertised weight of 11 lbs is complete - both straps and the seat.

You start to consider that and suddenly it's not worth it. Prolly shouldn't be sharing this info as I'm probably going to try to sell the 8.5 pounder to recoup some loot. But - my conscience wouldn't let me sleep at night if I didn't. All considered - I wouldn't go for it again. I would go with the assault 2 which has a bigger seat, bat wing, and bigger V in the platform for a more secure attachment to the tree. It's an all-around better stand.
ERICBROOKS

Unread postby ERICBROOKS » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:02 pm

I had one as well, currently use an Alpha for run and gun.

The Alpha is the better stand for me.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:25 pm

My opinion is those 8.5's are overrated....tiny seat, don't bite the tree well and the leveling feature is a pain to change at height....the main reasons I got out from under the one I had. What put the nail in the coffin was when I was trying to level mine out 15 ft up and I dropped the knob after taking it off......no more.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:19 pm

ThePreBanMan wrote:It's at 165 right now. I paid more than that for mine... Like the OP said - I had to shell out to get my grubby hands on one. But - I got it. Thing is I'm not so sure it was worth it. I weighed it without the strap or set cushion and it was exactly 8.5 pounds. I weighed my brand new assault 2 without straps or seat cushion and it was 9.25 pounds. Was a lot of loot to save under a pound.. The weight difference isn't as drastic as one would think. Remember -the 8.5 pound advertised weight was absent seat and strap. The assault 2 advertised weight of 11 lbs is complete - both straps and the seat.

You start to consider that and suddenly it's not worth it. Prolly shouldn't be sharing this info as I'm probably going to try to sell the 8.5 pounder to recoup some loot. But - my conscience wouldn't let me sleep at night if I didn't. All considered - I wouldn't go for it again. I would go with the assault 2 which has a bigger seat, bat wing, and bigger V in the platform for a more secure attachment to the tree. It's an all-around better stand.

Only problem with the assault 2 is if you are tall and have long legs. Sitting comfortably, my heels are on the edge of my 30” assault and xop silver. With a 26” assault 2, I would have to tuck my legs under me.

That’s why I like my assault so much. Weight is probably the same as the new assault and has the easy leveling but still have the length of the 8.5. The narrow v hitting the tree sucks but a second strap helps a lot.

There is no right answer as to what is the best since everybody is different. But no way would I shell out $200+ for the 8.5 assault, knowing what I know now.
Enkriss
500 Club

Unread postby Enkriss » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:44 am

Jonny wrote:
ThePreBanMan wrote:It's at 165 right now. I paid more than that for mine... Like the OP said - I had to shell out to get my grubby hands on one. But - I got it. Thing is I'm not so sure it was worth it. I weighed it without the strap or set cushion and it was exactly 8.5 pounds. I weighed my brand new assault 2 without straps or seat cushion and it was 9.25 pounds. Was a lot of loot to save under a pound.. The weight difference isn't as drastic as one would think. Remember -the 8.5 pound advertised weight was absent seat and strap. The assault 2 advertised weight of 11 lbs is complete - both straps and the seat.

Only problem with the assault 2 is if you are tall and have long legs. Sitting comfortably, my heels are on the edge of my 30” assault and xop silver. With a 26” assault 2, I would have to tuck my legs under me.

That’s why I like my assault so much. Weight is probably the same as the new assault and has the easy leveling but still have the length of the 8.5. The narrow v hitting the tree sucks but a second strap helps a lot.

There is no right answer as to what is the best since everybody is different. But no way would I shell out $200+ for the 8.5 assault, knowing what I know now.

I made a 24" seatpost for my sand cast assault and added a versa button. its perfect...
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:54 am

Ack wrote:My opinion is those 8.5's are overrated....tiny seat, don't bite the tree well and the leveling feature is a pain to change at height....the main reasons I got out from under the one I had. What put the nail in the coffin was when I was trying to level mine out 15 ft up and I dropped the knob after taking it off......no more.

I traded for an original sand cast LW and made a new seat post for it. Easy to do with a drill press, grinder with a cut off wheel, and flat file.Not real pretty but it works fine.

Nice thing about making my own is I could make it the height I like. My Alpha is almost to tall for me to hold my bow on my lap.I dont know if I'll like it for long sits, but I think it'll be a sweet little stand.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”