Sticks/Stand backpack

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HuntFish978

Sticks/Stand backpack

Unread postby HuntFish978 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:41 pm

Hey guys just joined the forum I’ve been listening to Dans podcasts for a bit so much great info. My question is what kind of backpacks are you guys running with your stand and sticks? I’ve always ran a sit and climb and clipped my backpack chest strap around the stand, and it’s always flopping around. I want to make the switch to sticks and stands and want to find a better way to pack the backpack. I’ve seen the Sitka tool bucket had anyone tried these out? The frame detaches from the pack and the sticks and stand go in between. I’m just curious if this investment would be worth it or if my regular pack will be fine after making adjustments. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dan

Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Re: Sticks/Stand backpack

Unread postby Tim H » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:20 pm

I own the tool bucket and it’s pretty decent for stand and sticks. The thing I don’t care for is how long it takes to pack it all together with my mobile setup. But overall it’s a very nice pack. I use it mostly for scouting and this upcoming season it’ll be my kill pack. I intend to go as minimal as possible this season so probably won’t use it on the hunts.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:05 pm

Most guys run padded shoulder straps and a kidney belt (search molle). And either put their stuff in pockets or a small pack.

I use a small fanny pack and just bungee it on my stand wherever it fits best without sticking out. I avoid taking anything bigger, and if it’s all day I’ll take a bigger jug of water that doesn’t fit in the pack.

Another option like the tool bucket is the eberlestock x2. Ive heard they are great but not very adjustable if you aren’t the right size and shape.

Xop also came out with a system that is an upgrade over molle straps and runs about $60. One thing you will find with using sticks and a hang on, is that you will really start to think twice about what you bring with you in the woods
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:17 pm

I did not like having the weight of a pack hanging off my stand. I use a fanny pack. And wear it around my waist in front of me. It feels to me like it distributes the weight better when I'm walking. Then I'll typically bungee my jacket to the stand.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
fireforeffect

Unread postby fireforeffect » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:08 pm

I am still making adjustments myself. I prefer to not carry my bag, but when I do I use the cinch straps to attach the stand and sticks to the bag. That way I can use the waist belt and chest straps of the pack instead of the straps on the LW. I use an Osprey Stratos.
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:24 pm

Here's the setup I use at times. Typically, I only carry the pack when I plan an all day hunt. I also use the pack for scouting and attach the sticks to the gun boots so in case I need them to see or place a camera higher in a tree.

Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:00 am

The only time I use a pack is when it gets colder out or I'm going to sit all day. In that case, I'll just bungee cord it to the stand. It's very quiet and doesn't move. Also, I added a hip belt to my setup which has helped out greatly to distribute the weight.
HuntFish978

Unread postby HuntFish978 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:01 am

Awesome thanks for the replies, I’ve pretty much settled on the lone wolf alpha or assault, but for climbing sticks what do you guys prefer, lone wolf? I’m considering lone wolf or waiting until dans sticks come out. Are there any others I should be looking into?
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:29 am

I have the tool bucket and here are a few my thoughts:

1. Tough to pack re: the stand...(time consuming to attach/detach stand ...at least for me it was). Perhaps you could leave the part that attaches to the stand on during the hunt. I never tried but that might be a possibility (perhaps others have experience doing this)

2. It's a big pack - big packs hold a lot of stuff - a lot of stuff adds weight - added weight decreases mobility

3. I do have some remote areas I take minerals on private land - HUGE benefit was strapping a 50lb bag into the system designed for the stand. Made transporting the minerals a breeze. And much better than throwing a bag on my shoulder.

4. I will probably keep it for then"just in case" scenario (and transporting minerals) but doubt it will be used much. I'd rather have the value back to reinvest in other gear that I believe might be a better fit for me.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:37 am

I have an old Cabelas fleece fanny pack that appears to no longer be made. It has shoulder straps you can add also. It's zipper is starting to crap out and the most suitable replacement I've found when it dies is the Mountainsmith series. Not camo but fine by me.

I like the fanny pack because I do one trip up the tree with my fanny pack on and the stand on my back and 2 sticks attached to my rock harness.

I use 2-4 bungees to secure everything for the walk in, depending how bulky the clothes are I also bungee to the stand. I can't stand stuff protruding or flopping around.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:41 am

HuntFish978 wrote:Awesome thanks for the replies, I’ve pretty much settled on the lone wolf alpha or assault, but for climbing sticks what do you guys prefer, lone wolf? I’m considering lone wolf or waiting until dans sticks come out. Are there any others I should be looking into?

I personally wouldn't use single steps, to me it's borderline dangerous in sketchy trees, but I'm not that comfortable with heights to begin with.

Dan's look great and should be the lightest on the market.

If you prefer a folding step as I do to reduce bulk at the sacrifice of some weight, Hawk Heliums are great. I cut mine down to 2 steps 23" apart and did the rope/versa button mod as well. Of course voiding all warranties and stuff but the three steps are too bulky for me. Many threads on here already if you search for climbing sticks.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:11 am

I have stick talons on my stand that hold 2 stocks on each side of the stand.

IF I have a need for a pack, I attach it to the stand.. usually the pack between the sticks and center post and my coat and cold weather gear on the opposing side. Bungee cords keep everything secure.

I don't usually take a pack unless I'm planning for a dark to dark or I'm packing in trail cams or something. Don't need much for a few hour hunt.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:18 am

Unless you have a lot of filming stuff, I'd try to dump the backpack or downsize to small fanny pack. Strap the sticks and fanny pack to stand. Add Backpack straps and waist belt if you want more comfort.

Filming, I would consider an Eberlestock X2 and use the wings to strap the stand and stick to the pack. It's a sweet pack that works well for hauling ground blinds as well.

That being said, I carry all my gear in a 2800 cu in Horn Hunter Mainbeam. I hunt from a saddle mostly these days. I recently switched over from sticks to Wild Edge Stepps late last year. They take a little more practice to use but I can climb 40 feet high with six of them if I want to and they pack a heck of a lot better. 6 WE stepps weight a touch under 6 lbs and pack up to the size of a small loaf a bread that easily fits into a backpack. Camera arm, base, camera, and other typical tree stand stuff goes in the pack. I have a little 3 lb stand for a platform that I strap to the backpack along with any cold weather clothing to avoid sweating up.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:26 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:Unless you have a lot of filming stuff, I'd try to dump the backpack or downsize to small fanny pack. Strap the sticks and fanny pack to stand. Add Backpack straps and waist belt if you want more comfort.

Filming, I would consider an Eberlestock X2 and use the wings to strap the stand and stick to the pack. It's a sweet pack that works well for hauling ground blinds as well.

That being said, I carry all my gear in a 2800 cu in Horn Hunter Mainbeam. I hunt from a saddle mostly these days. I recently switched over from sticks to Wild Edge Stepps late last year. They take a little more practice to use but I can climb 40 feet high with six of them if I want to and they pack a heck of a lot better. 6 WE stepps weight a touch under 6 lbs and pack up to the size of a small loaf a bread that easily fits into a backpack. Camera arm, base, camera, and other typical tree stand stuff goes in the pack. I have a little 3 lb stand for a platform that I strap to the backpack along with any cold weather clothing to avoid sweating up.

Bass,

Are you using aiders with the WE steps? If so, curious of your attachment point to the step
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:54 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:Unless you have a lot of filming stuff, I'd try to dump the backpack or downsize to small fanny pack. Strap the sticks and fanny pack to stand. Add Backpack straps and waist belt if you want more comfort.

Bass,

Are you using aiders with the WE steps? If so, curious of your attachment point to the step

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe he uses a multistep climbing aider, hooks it onto a tether with an ascender for quick length adjustment, and girth hitches it above the step directly onto the tree. So he puts a step 6 or so feet up, attaches the aider to the tree, uses a lineman's belt to climb the aider until he can stand on the step, attaches another step 6 feet higher, moves the tether/aider up and repeats.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”