Ground blind scent containment

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JonNc

Ground blind scent containment

Unread postby JonNc » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:08 am

After some scouting this weekend, I found a spot that looks great, but I will need to hunt from the ground due to no suitable trees. It's on a new piece of private so I can set up a ground blind (probably a couple months in advance). I was wondering what everyone's experience is on how much your scent can be contained from the use of a ground blind. The deer can approach from any direction in this spot so at some point deer may be downwind.

Thanks

brancher147
500 Club

Re: Ground blind scent containment

Unread postby brancher147 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:01 am

I hunt from the ground. Never used a ground blind, as there is no flat ground where I hunt, and bears like to destroy them, and I like to be mobile. But I have less issue with my scent on the ground than I did from a tree. I think there is a lot more wind current and swirling a lot of times up in a tree.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:02 pm

I wouldn’t count on the blind containing scent. It could help I guess. Could you block some trails to make their approach more predictable?
JonNc

Unread postby JonNc » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:18 pm

matt1336 wrote:I wouldn’t count on the blind containing scent. It could help I guess. Could you block some trails to make their approach more predictable?

I might be able to block a couple spots. That's a good idea if I can get up there in the offseason to get it done.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:06 pm

I wouldn't count on it to contain your scent, but I could see how it might deflect it somehow. Setting up an observation stand out of range might be an option until you figure out the most probable travel routes. Then move in for the kill and setup accordingly. Pay attention to the wind and a strong steady wind might be all you need. Good luck!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”