cool weather hunting suits

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bkraus

cool weather hunting suits

Unread postby bkraus » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:39 am

So, I was talking with a fellow beats member today, and we were discussing hunting suits for cool weather, like cool November mornings. I have the heater body suit and I like it for sub zero weather, but I don't like it in mid season. I also just received merino wool base layers, which I like. I guess what I'm looking for is a nice outer layer for those chilly days. I was looking at sitka fanatic lite bibs and jacket. It would be nice to hear what others wear, or layer up for those chilly fall days. thanks

Jonny
500 Club

Re: cool weather hunting suits

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:08 am

Love cabelas wooltimate but I think it got discontinued.

Wore the jacket and pants for what little rut hunting I got. Would suggest bibs over pants though although I’m gonna try a thin pair under the wooltimate
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:11 am

sitka is so awesome but out of my league . you really need a small loan for thier products but im sure its worth every penny love sitka but cant afford it right now
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:23 am

I got a Nomad Dunn primaloft jacket & pants last season and really like it alot. I got some really good sale prices too.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:51 pm

TheBuckPsych wrote:sitka is so awesome but out of my league . you really need a small loan for thier products but im sure its worth every penny love sitka but cant afford it right now

I agree. I use their stuff in the optifade pattern here a lot. I bought a cool weather jacket and pant on sale on black friday here. I wear it a lot. Great gear. I wear the first lite sanctuary set for cooler weather. Not as durable as the sitka gear so far, but really nice stuff.

While these expensive brand name stuff are cool and all, I don't think I'll be buying them next time unless they hold up exceptionally well. Sure you get what you pay for but there's better bang for your buck outside of the hunting industry.
Bowonly

Unread postby Bowonly » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:24 pm

I have worn the standard fanatic suit for a few years now. For me the comfort range is up to low 40s with minimal layers and down to single digits with sufficient layers.

It's good stuff but not without fault. The high nap fleece is horrible about stick tights and can be like Velcro against certain tree bark.

I don't have any experience with the fanatic lite.
Take someone hunting or fishing.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:10 pm

Sitka Stratus.....the WindStopper is a huge plus on cold November days.
MikePerry

Unread postby MikePerry » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:33 pm

On cold November all day sits I usually wear two pairs of warm Marino wool long underwear tops and bottoms with the scent blocker rain blocker wind blocker suit, I also pack in a Marino wool pull over but I don’t always wear it. I liove the rain blocker wind blocker because it keeps me warm and dry but it does not do anything to help control scent in my opinion.
Persistence pays!!!
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:08 am

as soon as it gets into the 20`s, im in the Iwom, Mike
BAS4109

Unread postby BAS4109 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:11 am

Ack wrote:Sitka Stratus.....the WindStopper is a huge plus on cold November days.

X2 I love the Stratus. I put a kelvin lite jacket under it and it keeps me warm enough.

You just have to keep watching for the sales.
beartruth2

Unread postby beartruth2 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:55 am

I been looking at the predator G2 suit here in texas 40 is cold.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:50 pm

bkraus wrote:So, I was talking with a fellow beats member today, and we were discussing hunting suits for cool weather, like cool November mornings. I have the heater body suit and I like it for sub zero weather, but I don't like it in mid season. I also just received merino wool base layers, which I like. I guess what I'm looking for is a nice outer layer for those chilly days. I was looking at sitka fanatic lite bibs and jacket. It would be nice to hear what others wear, or layer up for those chilly fall days. thanks

I've had great success with this jacket and matching paints threw whole season https://kryptek.com/vellus-jacket-highlander
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:53 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:
bkraus wrote:So, I was talking with a fellow beats member today, and we were discussing hunting suits for cool weather, like cool November mornings. I have the heater body suit and I like it for sub zero weather, but I don't like it in mid season. I also just received merino wool base layers, which I like. I guess what I'm looking for is a nice outer layer for those chilly days. I was looking at sitka fanatic lite bibs and jacket. It would be nice to hear what others wear, or layer up for those chilly fall days. thanks

I've had great success with this jacket and matching paints threw whole season https://kryptek.com/vellus-jacket-highlander

for a base layer I use a kryptek mid weight merino and there grid fleece hoodie the stuff is tuff as nails and feature packed and well designed
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
beartruth2

Unread postby beartruth2 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:38 pm

MikePerry wrote:On cold November all day sits I usually wear two pairs of warm Marino wool long underwear tops and bottoms with the scent blocker rain blocker wind blocker suit, I also pack in a Marino wool pull over but I don’t always wear it. I liove the rain blocker wind blocker because it keeps me warm and dry but it does not do anything to help control scent in my opinion.

How do you like the rain suit?
AR Hunter

Unread postby AR Hunter » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:49 pm

Babshaft wrote:
TheBuckPsych wrote:sitka is so awesome but out of my league . you really need a small loan for thier products but im sure its worth every penny love sitka but cant afford it right now

I agree. I use their stuff in the optifade pattern here a lot. I bought a cool weather jacket and pant on sale on black friday here. I wear it a lot. Great gear. I wear the first lite sanctuary set for cooler weather. Not as durable as the sitka gear so far, but really nice stuff.

While these expensive brand name stuff are cool and all, I don't think I'll be buying them next time unless they hold up exceptionally well. Sure you get what you pay for but there's better bang for your buck outside of the hunting industry.

What are some good brands outside the hunting industry that you’re aware of?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”