Beast help

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jed33

Beast help

Unread postby Jed33 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:50 am

Here is a picture of a clear cut that is about 7 years old outlined in red. The heavy black outline is the property lines, and the yellow line is the access from the county road. The amount of trails in and out of the thicket to the neighboring fields is ridiculous. My beast question is how do you guys scout an area Ike this? It is super thick and nobody is hunting it for obvious reasons. I would like to throw a beast style hunt at it if I can find good buck bedding. How would you access and set up in an area that is super thick?

After listening to Dan repeatedly talk about hunting the overlooked spots this came to mind.

Jed33

Re: Beast help

Unread postby Jed33 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:58 am

Wrong picture and I don’t know why it is flashing. I will repost
Jed33

Unread postby Jed33 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:01 am

Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:19 am

I'm unable to view the picture. Try re-posting.

Click and copy direct link from postimage. Paste into your body area. Highlight the link and click the image icon above. Then preview to see if it worked.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:56 am

Points and bowls are gonna be bedding any tall single mature trees out withing the young trees will most likely have a bed. Throw a hunt at each section points bowls etc. see what happens. Remember guys do t realize
If you cant crawl through it a mature buck isnt either they cant get horns through there
Jed33

Unread postby Jed33 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:59 am

NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:I'm unable to view the picture. Try re-posting.

Click and copy direct link from postimage. Paste into your body area. Highlight the link and click the image icon above. Then preview to see if it worked.

Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:30 am

My first thought is that it looks like a good morning spot. Access it from the NW corner and get set up on that transition edge of the cut and the tree line.

You really need to just pound through it following the trails until you find the beds. Then you can figure out how best to set up on them.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:00 am

I’d guess most of this would be Doe bedding, with the exception of the couple areas with larger trees/shrubs. From my experience with CRP, you’ll find buck sign, but a lot of the time it’s laid at night. However the tree island area to the west, just outside of the red circle looks good. If it’s public, a lot of guys will walk the power lines, heading south. I could see a buck bedding in that tree island with a W/NW wind, scent checking the lines and watching the CRP to the East. For setup, from the potential bed, the NE or SE edge of the timbers over looking the CRP. He’ll most likely travel into the wind towards food (assuming the power lines get pressure).
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:16 pm

TheBuckPsych wrote:If you cant crawl through it a mature buck isnt either they cant get horns through there

This is really good advice that he offered to me in a swamp setting. I used it the other day when my dog went through an opening in a really thick area and jumped a buck for me. If you find a trail in that thick stuff that you think a buck could get a big rack through with no issue; change your profile and crawl. Sounds stupid, but bring knee pads, wear gloves and eye protection and make your way in there. I did it yesterday and only had to go 10 yards to find an opening inside with good beds and a few really nice rubs.

If nothing comes from it at least you have it a shot and now you know what they’re doing in there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”