The confession box...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

The confession box...

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:23 am

Lets take a second to look in the mirror... ( Not literally!!! I just scared myself! :lol: ) Lets each reflect on what our strongest asset is in hunting deer. In other words, what helps you succeed the most?

Mine would likely be my confidence, and mental ability to not dwell on failure.

Then lets flip the coin, and ask that guy in the mirror what is your weakest asset... What makes you fail the most?

Mine would be my shooting, im a bad shot. All the work in the world is useless if you fail at the shot.

Ok, so now that we built ourselves up, then beat ourselves up, what can we do to enhance what we do good? And to fix what we do bad?

I think I have my mental attitude pretty well nailed having worked at it a while, but it got a little shaky when there were several failures in a row last season. So, for me, if I fix the second part of the question (fixing what I do bad) it will enhance my confidence and mental strength even more.

I need to practice shooting a lot more to fix the bad... And even though I don't like the sounds of it, Im thinking about trying out a range finder. I just don't have the distance judgment down like I did in my younger years...

Ok, I sat in the confession box ... Whose next?

csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Re: The confession box...

Unread postby csoult » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:32 am

Lets take a second to look in the mirror... ( Not literally!!! I just scared myself! :lol: ) Lets each reflect on what our strongest asset is in hunting deer. In other words, what helps you succeed the most?
Willingness to do whatever it takes. Open to ideas.

Then lets flip the coin, and ask that guy in the mirror what is your weakest asset... What makes you fail the most?
Indecision. I'm always second guessing myself.

Ok, so now that we built ourselves up, then beat ourselves up, what can we do to enhance what we do good? And to fix what we do bad?
Continue to put in the time and listen to others theories. Trust my intuition.
HELENVILLEHUNTER

Unread postby HELENVILLEHUNTER » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:52 am

I think my strongest asset is my preparation. Getting ready for the next deer season is a year round hobby. Even with life's crazy pace these days, I almost always make time to get the necessary steps completed to be ready when opening day arrives. I am blessed to have a piece of private land to hunt with family members and working on the property with them makes the preparation that much more enjoyable. Food plots, tree stands, water holes, hinge cuttings and scouting is all finished by the time we are ready to hunt.

My weakest asset is second guessing myself. I think this happens to a lot of people though. With two young boys and a busy work schedule there is only so much time each fall that I can justify sitting in a tree and not spending time with the family. So when I do hunt, I am always worrying about making the right decision as to where I should be sitting. More than one time each fall I find myself in a stand dwelling on where I should have gone instead of concentrating on where I am. I hate that feeling, I am hunting to be outdoors and not be stressful, however sometimes I make it stressful for no reason.

I believe my preparation should give me confidence in each stand I hunt. I need to not worry so much about results but instead be happy with the opportunity to be hunting and enjoying the outdoors.
Jussbowz

Unread postby Jussbowz » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:04 am

Lets take a second to look in the mirror... ( Not literally!!! I just scared myself! ) Lets each reflect on what our strongest asset is in hunting deer. In other words, what helps you succeed the most?
Probably my biggest thing that helps me succeed is ability to be patient. It doesn't bother me to sit in a spot and not see a deer if I am confident in the spot or area.

I think my weakest asset is I second guess myself to the point of misery. From ways to access to where I am going to hunt, I seem to second guess everything I do to the point of frustration.

I need to come up with a plan, stick to the plan best I can and don't second guess the plan. I need to just make my decision and go with it. There must be a reason I came up with it in the first place.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:09 am

Lets each reflect on what our strongest asset is in hunting deer. In other words, what helps you succeed the most?

Open mind. I will try anything even if everyone says it is impossible. (Like still-hunting off a paddle board). I don’t focus on why things won’t work, I try to figure out how they can work.

Lately it is probably giving up early on hunts. Since I have had small kids at home I look for any excuse to get back to see them.

Heavily debating ‘Andy Maying’ my season this year and take a higher number of shorter duration out of state trips vs a long rutcation. But that is up in the air as of now.

This will give me a chance to hunt different areas/terrain and tactics while not being away from the family for so long at once.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:22 am

dan wrote: what helps you succeed the most?

I think it's a combination of a few things. Success breeds success. I believe I will be successful. There is a huge difference between being afraid you will fail and being surprised that you did not succeed. I believe that faith does move mountains and things that are beyond my control work in my favor. I also believe that my 40+ years of knowledge doesn't hurt either. This might sound odd but I reached a point where it is not as important to kill, as a result I hunt with a more relaxed state of mind. I have witnessed a huge success increase since reaching this point.
I struggled with some health issues this last season. Tracking was going to be tough. I went anyway and just kept the frame of mind that the deer was going to have to stand there and give me time to shoot. well, guess what happened. I jumped a buck and he ran a short distance, turned and took a few steps back and froze there. 8-)

dan wrote: Then lets flip the coin, and ask that guy in the mirror what is your weakest asset... What makes you fail the most?

My weakness is time. I would be more successful if I put more time into hunting. Work gets in the way but i'm getting up in age and am trying to put money away for retirement. Also, I am interested in other things as well and don't really want to spend all my time hunting. Hunting is just not as big of a priority as it used to be. how many deer do I have to kill to be happy? What really changes in my life if I kill another buck?

dan wrote: Ok, so now that we built ourselves up, then beat ourselves up, what can we do to enhance what we do good? And to fix what we do bad?

I don't feel the need to fix anything. I am very happy where I am.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:27 am

Lets each reflect on what our strongest asset is in hunting deer. In other words, what helps you succeed the most?

I'm able to enjoy myself even during tough times and tough conditions, which keeps me going and gets me through down periods and lets me persevere.

I'm too willing to give myself excuses. Generally I'm not just sitting my but on he couch and writing it off, but I convince myself I'm too busy, or I have to be home early to get stuff done so don't go deep enough etc.. I have real time constraints between career and young family, but sometimes I let myself off the hook on pushing harder because of it. Last season I was sitting on my final buck tag and took the week off during when the big boys came off lockdown and probably missed my best chance to take down a monster because of it.

I don't want to change the good at all, because every minute of it and every terrible walk in the marsh is still fun to me. As far as the bad, I plan to push mysself harder in the off season to scout more and be better prepared going into season to be on top of things. That should take away what doubt is there and help me keep pushing. I've already scouted about 6 small properties closest to my house that I like to keep yearly tabs on. I have four larger areas I plan to get to by early May and put some real miles on. That is ahead of the last couple of years for me.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:53 am

Lets take a second to look in the mirror... Lets each reflect on what our strongest asset is in hunting deer. In other words, what helps you succeed the most?

What helps me succeed the most is my perseverance. I just don't quit, even when I'm down. The bigwoods like many places makes you work a little harder than some. You see by far less deer and it's disheartening and depressing at times. My perseverance helps me overcome this and gives me confidence that I can make it happen. I have a belief deep down that it only takes a moment and if I quit I can't experience that moment.

I'm a person who is over analytical. Sometimes I have too much information in my head to consider. This makes me indecisive at times which is not good. When I want to understand something I seek out information and answers, but a lot of the time the information I find might not be relevant to my personal situation. For example there are many hunting styles out there that can help hunters be successful in certain environments. Like hunting in agriculture or farm country. However their style won't work in bigwoods environment.

I feel if I can do better at my scouting, it will help my confidence and perseverance. The more efficient I can become in my scouting the more it will pay off in future dividends. In order to fix the bad, I need to learn to be more instinctual. I need to trust my own judgement before others and learn from my experience. I need to learn to shut off my analytic nature and hunt more with feel and less with other people's suggestions. Sometimes I need to just go for it and let it go.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:42 am

dan wrote: Lets take a second to look in the mirror... ( Not literally!!! I just scared myself! :lol: ) Lets each reflect on what our strongest asset is in hunting deer. In other words, what helps you succeed the most?

Perseverance, working hard, getting up early, staying late. Generally being willing and able to put a decent amount of time in while being still being able to balance family and life obligations.

Bad decisions in the heat of the moment that often comes from flying by the seat of my pants. Just kind of who I am as a person, not all that organized or methodical, but creative and hard working and always up to try some far fetched plan. Very ADHD. It occasionally works out really well in that I see a lot of new territory and get on some hot sign, but it also puts me in no man's land from time to time. When I blow an early season sit doing something speculative I am fine with it, but when it comes to the prime rut days I've lost confidence not sticking to my high percentage plays, and when I lost confidence is when it ceases being fun for me.

Be more methodical, come up with plans, follow through on my scouting. Not saying to have a strict plan to sit in this tree on this day necessarily, still need to read and react to fresh sign, but spend less time speculating on areas I don't know that well and more time targeting bucks I've actually scouted.

Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:58 am

Strengths:
Patience, confidence, hunting close to home, time afforded to chase, determination, prior experience in same woods for years and putting my time in post season.

Weakness:
Sometimes cocky & overconfident, complacency, don't venture to far from my comfort zone, wait on a buck that doesn't exist, and dwell on mistakes or bad fortune.

The Fix:

I'm sticking to my guns of patience and positivity while at the same time spreading my wings to new areas with new tactics to broaden my horizon on north Americas most adaptable prey animal. Looking forward to the challange...
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:15 am

The need and want to learn and get better every time out.

Lack of hunting time and in the field experience, as well as physical fitness.

I need to continue wanting to learn every time out. I need to find more time to hit the woods, and I need to start working out year round, not just a few months before season!!!

Ok, I sat in the confession box ... Whose next?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:35 am

Strengths:
I am persistent and never give up. Keeping a positive attitude no matter what has also worked very well for me. I learned early on that hunting has much more to do with your mind than just about anything. Be patient while staying positive then add in a never give up attitude and great things will happen.

Weakness:
I tend to be a little stubborn sometimes with my goals. If I decide this season I’m going to kill a big marsh buck nothing else will matter and I will focus so much on this that I close myself to all other options. I planned on hunting hill country more this past season after my Iowa success in 2016 but never followed through on it. It’s hard for me to balance out what I want more. My stubborn nature kept me in the marshes but in hindsight did provide me with some great opportunities. Didn’t capitalize on them but opportunity is all I ask for.

The fix:
I need to spread my wings more. I have hunted outside my comfort zone with much success over the years so I know the value in that. Just have to commit myself to it much more often. I am confident hunting in any terrain and love the challenge of each one.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:01 am

I think willingness to put in the work is my biggest asset. I'm not afraid to put in the tine & miles scouting.

I have many weaknesses. Learning to marsh hunt is probably my biggest. I've never marsh hunted til last season. A huge learning curve for me! Heading 2 miles out in the cattails, puts me way out of my comfort zone.

Trying to venture out of my comfort zone as much as possible. Only expanding my experience & knowledge will make me feel more confident.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:33 am

Strengths:
Attitude is probably my biggest strength. No matter what, I also make sure I have a positive attitude even when things don't go well. This past year I was forced to go to the hospital for poison sumac, nearly got frostbite after I flipped a canoe in near zero degrees, broke my quiver, and broke my bow, and laughed it all off. :lol: Life is too short to have a negative attitude.

Weakness:
If I'm being honest, it's probably confidence. Not in a sense that I ever consider giving up or anything, but more about confidence in my approach and setup. This past year was my first as a beast. Bow hunted roughly 6 times and saw 2 P&Y bucks. Not a bad ratio but neither was close enough for a shot.

Fix:
What I need is more experience. Experience in everything beast style. This next year will be my second year beast hunting, but first after a full spring of scouting. My answer to these questions could easily change after next year.
Octoberjohn

Unread postby Octoberjohn » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:57 am

Great topic!

Strengths:

I have almost a sixth sense when it comes to stand placement/setups. I put a lot of thought into my setups and I am extremely confident in where I am hunting on a given day and why. I have also been able to help out numerous friends/relatives with their set ups which have led to their success as well. Almost all of my success is directly related to rut hunting. I also make sure that I try and learn something new every trip out to the woods.

Weakness:

My biggest weakness for sure is figuring out this whole "beast style" hunting. I am terrible at finding buck beds or where an individual buck beds. I think if I could figure this style of hunting out I would be a complete hunter. Until then I will continue to struggle early season until we get the big weather systems in to get the rutting activity started.

Fix:

Continue to learn everything that I can via this website and everyone on here. Obviously I'll never figure everything out but it sure is fun trying!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”