Dead Things in beds

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

llcooljames

Dead Things in beds

Unread postby llcooljames » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:15 am

I scouted a chunk of land a few days ago near my house. Its not very big and access might be tricky. I didnt see a whole lot of sign but I did find one promising bedding spot. It was a small elevated stand of trees maybe 10x10. All of the trees had substantial deer damage. I think if they are bedding here I have a great opportunity on this property with a south or east wind.

The issue is, right in the middle of the bedding area there is a dead coyote. It looks like it died at some point this winter, you can see the scavenger trail coming through the marsh grass from the woods. I assume this will deter deer bedding there?
How long before you think they will use the island? Are deer weary of dead things? Ive shot does with my gun that were within feet of an earlier gut pile, but I dont know if theres a difference with a predator carcass.

<DK>
500 Club

Re: Dead Things in beds

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:58 am

Man deer are funny sometimes... all depends.

One thing iv noticed and verified w others is predator sign close to buck bedding areas. Dont let it steer you away from the area, remember its winter so the preds are traveling more for find food and theyll take the same trail a lot. One spot I found recently I literally was stepping in crap bc the coyote does it there all time.

Deer shift areas based on patterns too so I would just confirm the bedding area is being used by finding tracks, bumping them, trail cam or check the beds pre season or pre hunt. The bucks could use it more during the rut too. With the subtle sign in the beds it may be better than that though. Good rut beds usually have some sign around or in it.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:59 am

The worst part about a dead coyote is nothing eats it!
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:45 am

I would have tossed that thing in the swamp.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:15 am

If your worried about it, move it.
llcooljames

Unread postby llcooljames » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:39 am

I kicked away the big chunks, but honestly it was fairly spread out.

Im not so much concerned with this particular spot. Im more curious to how the deer would treat a situation like it.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:50 am

As DK said, I’ve seen coyotes and bucks nearby each other many times. Often not at the same time but I have killed bucks out of bedding areas and later scouting would jump a coyote out of the same area. I definitely, like PK mentioned, would of moved it out of there tho.
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:48 am

I think if its fairly spread out, its been rotting a while. I think they probably don't care now but even if they do, once it warms up and the insects come out, it will be bones and fur pretty quick and at that point, deer could care less. They see and smell dead things all the time.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:14 am

Bigb wrote:I think if its fairly spread out, its been rotting a while. I think they probably don't care now but even if they do, once it warms up and the insects come out, it will be bones and fur pretty quick and at that point, deer could care less. They see and smell dead things all the time.

X2

I have a pile of skinned yotes behind the house and watch deer walk right past the pile fairly often. Every time I throw another one back there they steer clear for a day or two that's it. As soon as its warm enough for flies to lay eggs and maggots to hatch they melt away in a few days. Mother nature will take care of it she does not waste. 100% confident it will have no impact next fall.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:36 am

llcooljames wrote:I kicked away the big chunks, but honestly it was fairly spread out.

Im not so much concerned with this particular spot. Im more curious to how the deer would treat a situation like it.

I bet they get used to it pretty quick and realize it is not a threat. But that is a total guess.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:50 am

I have read and have been told that (i dont know if its the right information but) adult deer do not worry much about coyotes they are more after the fawns and scavenge dead deer.i read an article the other day somewhere that they are leaning torwards coyotes being more scavengers anymore than hunters but will hunt if need to I could be wrong but i would think it would take a pack of at least 4-5 yotes to take down a full grown deer I think adult does with young ones would worry about yotes more than adult buck would
But. Ive been told wrong info before about predator behavior
llcooljames

Unread postby llcooljames » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:22 am

Thanks for all the replies. I won't worry about it too much then. This place will be difficult to hunt anyways so I already have it low on the list.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:25 am

llcooljames wrote:Thanks for all the replies. I won't worry about it too much then. This place will be difficult to hunt anyways so I already have it low on the list.

Np anytime by the way.
I love and cant live without my radio lol
I love llcooljay.
Jeff25

Unread postby Jeff25 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:34 am

I found a good buck bed the other day with a dead buck 30 yards away and wondered the same thing. Looks like he died after shedding his antlers

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”