Need help with my poop....large area of large Pellets

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Babshaft
500 Club

Need help with my poop....large area of large Pellets

Unread postby Babshaft » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:45 am

Not really my poop, as I get lots of fibre. I was scouting a point leading into a swamp/marsh and nearing the point I found a 15' X15' area that was covered with large deer pellets. I mean A LOT of it. I'm suspecting due to the size of the pellets that it's buck poop. My question is did he bed in this particular spot a lot this winter and that's why there's so much of it? As the snow melts it's revealing more of it? Just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. Thanks again for the help.

magicman54494
500 Club

Re: Need help with my poop....large area of large Pellets

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:54 pm

i cant tell much from your pic but people often mistake porcupine poop for large deer poop. porcupines poop a lot in a small area.
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:02 pm

magicman54494 wrote:i cant tell much from your pic but people often mistake porcupine poop for large deer poop. porcupines poop a lot in a small area.

Thanks for the help magic man. Time to do a google search for porcupine poop.

If my wife ever checks my browser history I’m a goner.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:39 am

Babshaft wrote:Not really my poop, as I get lots of fibre. I was scouting a point leading into a swamp/marsh and nearing the point I found a 15' X15' area that was covered with large deer pellets. I mean A LOT of it. I'm suspecting due to the size of the pellets that it's buck poop. My question is did he bed in this particular spot a lot this winter and that's why there's so much of it? As the snow melts it's revealing more of it? Just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. Thanks again for the help.

Might be doe beds too babs pretty open area for mature buck.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:54 am

From what I was told, it is a myth that buck poop stays tight in a ball, and that doe poop spreads out. I would agree with that as well. Anyone else have thoughts or confirmation on that?
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Wolfofmibu

Unread postby Wolfofmibu » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:50 am

magicman54494 wrote:i cant tell much from your pic but people often mistake porcupine poop for large deer poop. porcupines poop a lot in a small area.

x2, that’s exactly what that looks like.
Wolfofmibu

Unread postby Wolfofmibu » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:51 am

Babshaft wrote:

Thanks for the help magic man. Time to do a google search for porcupine poop.

If my wife ever checks my browser history I’m a goner.

The porcupine turds are more narrow looking and look like pellets from a guinee pig or hamster . I believe lighter in color also.
Wolfofmibu

Unread postby Wolfofmibu » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:54 am

Chuck B wrote:From what I was told, it is a myth that buck poop stays tight in a ball, and that doe poop spreads out. I would agree with that as well. Anyone else have thoughts or confirmation on that?

From what I’ve read here on the beast , both doe and buck can have clumped poop so usually guys look at the size of an individual turd. But the clumping is due to a bad diet and mostly bucks have the bad diet during /after the rut. So that’s why mostly assume it’s from a buck and which there is a good chance that’s what it’s from. Hope that helps !
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:02 am

Thanks for the help guys. The pellets are about the size of the first digit of an index finger. They're all pretty well the same consistent size and varying stages of decay. Could be does or bucks or porcupines - I really don't know. I have never seen anything like that before, but because of the location of it (right at the end of a point leading into a swamp), it really had me wondering.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:38 am

after looking at the pic on a big screen i'm almost positve it is a porky. It looks like there is a lot of debris from trees as well. I'm guessing there is a porky feeding above in the tree. look for cut branches and areas of tree bark stripped from the tree. If you find clumps then it is not a porky. porky poop is as big or bigger than deer poop. it will be brown in color where as deer poop tends to be darker. it is also very grainy because it is a byproduct of eating tree bark.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:56 am

I would agree with Magicman that it's porcupine poop. ;)
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:57 am

magicman54494 wrote:after looking at the pic on a big screen i'm almost positve it is a porky. It looks like there is a lot of debris from trees as well. I'm guessing there is a porky feeding above in the tree. look for cut branches and areas of tree bark stripped from the tree. If you find clumps then it is not a porky. porky poop is as big or bigger than deer poop. it will be brown in color where as deer poop tends to be darker. it is also very grainy because it is a byproduct of eating tree bark.

Yeah if I'm remembering correctly. Porky poop is much lighter on the inside than outside. Whereas deer poop is almost just as dark in and out.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:42 am

Awesome guys. Thanks for solving that for me! I’m glad my dog didn’t run in to the porcupine yesterday. Would’ve been a crappy day for him (pun intended).
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:57 am

Babshaft wrote:Awesome guys. Thanks for solving that for me! I’m glad my dog didn’t run in to the porcupine yesterday. Would’ve been a crappy day for him (pun intended).

one area i hunt is over run with porkies. it is tricky when i scout with my dog. i have been lucky so far. she really checks them out but so far hasnt grabbed one.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:05 am

magicman54494 wrote:
Babshaft wrote:Awesome guys. Thanks for solving that for me! I’m glad my dog didn’t run in to the porcupine yesterday. Would’ve been a crappy day for him (pun intended).

one area i hunt is over run with porkies. it is tricky when i scout with my dog. i have been lucky so far. she really checks them out but so far hasnt grabbed one.

It's one hellascious mess when they do. Alot of the quills go through into the dogs nasal cavity. Removal is 1 at a time with heavy duty pliers. With large dogs a couple of extra people to hold them down. Then lots of meds to knock out the infection.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”