False Color IR - Caltopo

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NYBackcountry
500 Club

False Color IR - Caltopo

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:54 am

Has anyone used the "False Color IR" layer in caltopo, and gone in the filed to verify its accuracy? If its accurate it could be a really nice tool for swamps. Any input would be great, thanks.

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Re: False Color IR - Caltopo

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:03 am

NYBackcountry wrote:Has anyone used the "False Color IR" layer in caltopo, and gone in the filed to verify its accuracy? If its accurate it could be a really nice tool for swamps. Any input would be great, thanks.

one of the beasts has a whole thread on caltopo
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:05 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
NYBackcountry wrote:Has anyone used the "False Color IR" layer in caltopo, and gone in the filed to verify its accuracy? If its accurate it could be a really nice tool for swamps. Any input would be great, thanks.

one of the beasts has a whole thread on caltopo

hears the link viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23604
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:32 am

I don't use it but I just checked it out and it really makes cedar trees stand out (versus other conifers) in the areas I looked at. It is always a good idea to check any new aerials you come across with known elements in your hunting area. I have mapped out pockets of oak trees in the northwoods that just happen to stand out in a certain photo taken at a time of year and sun angle that makes certain features stand out. You can do the same with swamps. Certain pictures make the slight elevation changes you are searching for stand out... Etc.
Wolfofmibu

Unread postby Wolfofmibu » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:04 am

I’ve been messing around with this feature and it does look like it shows the transitions better . I’m going to try and verify it in field this weekend and I’ll let you know !.
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:21 am

Thanks for the link Ghoast.

Same here Wolf, stay tuned.
shotcaller

Unread postby shotcaller » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:51 am

I'm very interested in the False Color IR imagery. I think Cal Topo's data set is a bit outdated, at least in my area. I'm assuming he is using the data from the NAIP program (https://www.fsa.usda.gov/programs-and-s ... p-imagery/). I can find newer data online. You can pull it into Google Earth via Webservice. Or find it here. https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?i ... 8141da1e21

Also, if you have a real imagery or gis tool, you can play with the spectrum and find things that aren't obvious in the common view like you see in CalTopo. See this example, you can see things in the lower image that you can't see in the top one. http://www.resourcemappinggis.com/image_true.html. I'm not positive that is the same thing, or if that data is available, but that is very interesting to me.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”