Bit of a pickle

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

Bit of a pickle

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:59 am

Yesterday I had a small business owner here locally tell me I can hunt his land if I will give him a deer. I know the man well and he is a meat hunter who just does not have the time to even go once. I'm familiar with his property, I hunt a diff parcel two properties over, he has 75 acres which he has feeders and a food plot for tax purposes.

My dilemma is my family can easily eat all I can legally shoot and we enjoy venison. I don't wanna do without and I'm not a law breaker who uses someone else's tag. My wife does not care to shoot one, my kiddo is still to young. So I thought maybe I would use the place to introduce a kid to hunting. But it just doesn't seem right to let someone take there first deer and make them give it away. Takes away from the experience IMO.

Properties are hard to come by and it sounds like a good deal but I really don't know what to say. I've done it b4 with bad results, when the landowner wants meat if you don't hurry up and produce he will find someone who will. Which is a complete waste of your time.

What would u guys say?

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
<DK>
500 Club

Re: Bit of a pickle

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:03 am

I did it once and decided it wasnt for me... would prefer not to talk about it but it was a small deer and the last one ill ever shoot
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:10 am

If you regularly fill your doe tags and eat them all, I wouldn't do it. You could propose a counter offer and offer to set a couple stands, prep them and if he does have time to hunt, put him in the best position to get one. I'm like you though, I shoot a deer, I want to eat it, cause that is why I shot it. Would hate to give it away. I'd much rater break my back helping him shoot it than just give away a used tag knowing I could be throwing those backstraps in a pan with some onions and bacon.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:58 pm

I think that family comes first when you’re filling the freezer, so would pass on the offer.
fireforeffect

Unread postby fireforeffect » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:09 pm

You could always try it for a year. If you don't think access to his property is worth a tag, then opt out the next year.
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:26 pm

Nice thing here in NY is that land owner gets a doe tag for more than 50 acres & can sign it over to you. Maybe they have something like that? Mike
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:44 pm

I would have a hard time giving up my deer even if I could keep the rack. Eating the venison is the best part after the hunt. Just wouldn’t feel right giving away the only deer I have a tag for. If you can get multiple tags that’s a different story. Shoot him an antlerless deer then hunt for a nice buck.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:08 pm

Boogie if you can find a way to get it too you from delaware next season i would actually shoot a deer for you if you really need be. Its totaly legal. Id be glad to help out
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:44 pm

This is a really rough one. Are you really gaining anything with this permission in this case? I guess if there is a good shot at a mature buck could be worth giving up some meat, but would be a tough one for me if I had limited tags.
SidewayZ
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SidewayZ32

Unread postby SidewayZ » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:56 pm

I tend to side with the thought that if it doesnt feel right or if it is not right, then pass on the opportunity, it never seems to work out in the end regardless of circumstances.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
-SidewayZ-

I'm not scared to fail, I just fear regret!
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:33 pm

Jonny wrote:If you regularly fill your doe tags and eat them all, I wouldn't do it. You could propose a counter offer and offer to set a couple stands, prep them and if he does have time to hunt, put him in the best position to get one. I'm like you though, I shoot a deer, I want to eat it, cause that is why I shot it. Would hate to give it away. I'd much rater break my back helping him shoot it than just give away a used tag knowing I could be throwing those backstraps in a pan with some onions and bacon.

x2...this is a great solution.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
EdC

Unread postby EdC » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:56 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:its a complete waste of your time

I think you said it all if those are the expectations
Everyone Gets Close - Few Finish The Job
HELENVILLEHUNTER

Unread postby HELENVILLEHUNTER » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:23 am

For me this is an easy one, I would take the new hunting opportunity and see how it goes. Ultimately the decision will be up to you and whats most important for you and your family. My question for you is, would it be harder to be sitting in your stand and thinking about all the bucks on your friends property, or sitting at the dinner table eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich after shooting a nice buck knowing your friend is eating some fresh back straps?
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:36 am

HELENVILLEHUNTER wrote:would it be harder to be sitting in your stand and thinking about all the bucks on your friends property, or sitting at the dinner table eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich after shooting a nice buck knowing your friend is eating some fresh back straps?

For me the latter would be far more difficult ...no way a head on a wall beats dozens of sizzling hot venison dishes on my family's table. But that just me.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:58 am

All great answers and thanks for the replies. Still not for sure what I'm gonna do. I have limited tags, although I did expand my scouting to new counties this year to give me afew more kill opportunities. But I hate to count my chickies b4 they hatch.

In reguards to setting him up, he has stands in place just does not have the time to ever go. There's good bucks in that area, and I hate to walk on a non pressured spot that holds good deer. That's my bread and butter lol. He is a super guy who lets me park at his house to access the lake, so I also don't want to disappoint him.

We will see, I always got my dad. Think I can bribe him with some fish and deer jerky and make everyone happy.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”