Mature Buck Travel Radius

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Danny1977
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/danny.mannywithabigfatfanny/

Mature Buck Travel Radius

Unread postby Danny1977 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:19 am

Just curious on the average travel radius of a mature buck during the pre-rut. How far will one travel from his home bed in order to find the ladies? Had a nice buck on cam last year so now I'm trying to find out how big of a circle should I draw on my topo map before selecting those poss buck bed areas and scouting them. BTW this is in mountain/hill country if that helps.

Thanks all

Spent all of my money on archery and hunting gear.....the rest I just wasted
Jdw
500 Club

Re: Mature Buck Travel Radius

Unread postby Jdw » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:53 am

I think it depends on a lot of different factors. Type of terrain, deer density, buck to doe ratio, food availability, and the temperament of the individual buck.
In my experience the mature bucks travel less than younger age classes.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:34 am

Jdw wrote:I think it depends on a lot of different factors. Type of terrain, deer density, buck to doe ratio, food availability, and the temperament of the individual buck.

I pretty much agree. i would say that mature bucks travel wisely with purpose.
as far as a distance, think miles. low doe densities these bucks will travel 6 miles (this is how far I have followed them). probably much further.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:36 am

I saw a mature buck I have been hunting for 3 years (probably 6 or 7 years old) heading North on a mountain top following a doe and had pics of him 12 hours later 3 miles to the South at the bottom of the mountain. This was second week of November full rut. Not sure what you are calling pre-rut. I have no idea where he beds, well I have an idea but have never determined it to be true... I had three different mature bucks this year covering that distance between 2 properties. This was private land unbroken forest big woods type area with very high deer density (not uncommon to see 30 deer some days).
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
harold

Unread postby harold » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:48 am

Completely agree with what Jdw said about the factors. There are too many variables and the answer is not going to be the same across the board.

If you haven't checked this out it is worth a read:

viewtopic.php?f=157&t=43812

The study has a lot of other maps and videos on their site from other bucks/does they tracked too. The study is being done in similar terrain to what you're asking about.
Danny1977

Unread postby Danny1977 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:48 am

harold wrote:Completely agree with what Jdw said about the factors. There are too many variables and the answer is not going to be the same across the board.

If you haven't checked this out it is worth a read:

viewtopic.php?f=157&t=43812

The study has a lot of other maps and videos on their site from other bucks/does they tracked too. The study is being done in similar terrain to what you're asking about.

Great insight on the study. Looks like they might not travel as far as I assumed. Yet this probably varies from buck to buck.

Thank you for sharing this
Danny1977

Unread postby Danny1977 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:52 am

magicman54494 wrote:
Jdw wrote:I think it depends on a lot of different factors. Type of terrain, deer density, buck to doe ratio, food availability, and the temperament of the individual buck.

I pretty much agree. i would say that mature bucks travel wisely with purpose.
as far as a distance, think miles. low doe densities these bucks will travel 6 miles (this is how far I have followed them). probably much further.

I agree with you both as I am Farley new to chasing bucks in their own bed. In our area we seem to have a pretty good balance from buck to does but I’m certainly no expert. Now it does make sense that a mature deer will travel less and be more wise about it.

Thanks for the insight man
Danny1977

Unread postby Danny1977 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:56 am

Thanks JDw. I suppose this could have a very broad answer since so many variables have to come into play. I do know that there was a nice deer in the area from late oct until mid nov. Therefore I plan to hopefully find out where he beds as I dissect the area.

Thanks for the help
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:10 pm

Danny1977 wrote:

Thanks JDw. I suppose this could have a very broad answer since so many variables have to come into play. I do know that there was a nice deer in the area from late oct until mid nov. Therefore I plan to hopefully find out where he beds as I dissect the area.

Thanks for the help

Good luck finding where he is spending his time the rest of the year.

There is a good chance if he made through the season he will be in the same area near the same time / same condisions next year.

There are some good threads on here about using historical data to your advantage and rut circuits, where bucks check for doe groups near the same time and place for multiple years.
Danny1977

Unread postby Danny1977 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:15 pm

Jdw wrote:
Danny1977 wrote:

Thanks for the help

Good luck finding where he is spending his time the rest of the year.

There is a good chance if he made through the season he will be in the same area near the same time / same condisions next year.

There are some good threads on here about using historical data to your advantage and rut circuits, where bucks check for doe groups near the same time and place for multiple years.

This is good news. Thank you. I will look up those threads. This website just keeps getting better
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:18 pm

You asked for pre-rut, but I think this will answer some of your questions.

But like already said, all depends on your location and the herd situation there. If there is an abundance of does, don't see a reason for them to move far. If its a total sausage party, they will move. Just like guys at a bar looking for chicks. If you walk in and its all guys, I leave. If I walk in and its all girls, I pump my fist and thank god cause I hit the lottery :lol:
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:21 pm

I have a shed off a buck that was killed 10 miles from where I found it. This is mostly semi flat farm country with about 75% open fields. The buck scored 210” when shot ,very mature.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:45 pm

Last fall my #1 buck was shot in early November (twice actually... by two different people) roughly 3.5 miles from where I shined him in late October.

Flat farm country
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:20 pm

Is he crossing a saddle or traveling a bench or running a top? What time of day?

Don’t draw a circle, just follow the elevation. Bucks generally travel during daylight at the same elevation that they Bed. I mean, not always and of course they travel up and down to get to different areas but they generally don’t start traveling that broad during day until rut and pic looks more like Oct?

I could be way off, tough to know without having more Intel but I agree with earlier post I would hunt right there on that date next fall likely the day on either side as well...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:59 pm

Ive read this from several, sites ,books,and one of our biologists back in jersey that a bucks home range is around 600 acres. Anyone know if this is correct?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”