Rope mock scrape

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Pitbull88
Facebook: Andrew Helm

Rope mock scrape

Unread postby Pitbull88 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:10 am

Hello guys i am a new subscriber to the hunting beast. Have a question? I believe i have heard that some of you use a rope tactic for mock scrapes with pre orbital gland sxent on it. I just picked up a new lease in illinois and wanted to put some cameras out but cant use bait of any kind. Will this tactic work this time of year to get some inventory of bucks on property if still holding horns. I know they uae scrapes year round but wondering if this wil spook deer right now? Thanks for any advice

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Rope mock scrape

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:40 am

I've played with moc scrapes for many of years. Take my word for it the rope tactic is just used to sell u some scent! A moc scrape will not attract deer, if it was in a spot to attract them there would already be a real one there. Place them on a good edge and they will repeatedly stop sniff around and smile for the camera. Field edges are great places if u don't mind night pics. Put a overhead branch, and tear up the dirt on a good travel edge and nothing else is required.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:12 am

Pitbull88 wrote:Hello guys i am a new subscriber to the hunting beast. Have a question? I believe i have heard that some of you use a rope tactic for mock scrapes with pre orbital gland sxent on it. I just picked up a new lease in illinois and wanted to put some cameras out but cant use bait of any kind. Will this tactic work this time of year to get some inventory of bucks on property if still holding horns. I know they uae scrapes year round but wondering if this wil spook deer right now? Thanks for any advice

if you want to add scent to a scrape save all the hocks from deer buck and doe put them in a mason jar then boil water dump it over the tarsal glands then pour the stink tea water in dirt tie a grape vine with 550 cord for the licking branch. place the scrape near intersecting trails near bedding you can also freshen up naturally made scrapes with the tarsal tea
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:57 pm

I listened to a podcast with Barry Wensel a while ago. He tried the rope thing for a couple years and said he found it to not work as good as a regular overhanging branch. I run my cameras on existing scrapes and also on mock scrapes that I make in areas that there arent already scrapes. I can honestly tell you that I get more videos of deer hitting my mock scrapes than the already existing scrapes. I dont use any urine in the scrapes. I use smokeys pre orbital scent on the overhanging branch. Thats all you need. They will start using it. I dont put my cams out until the beginning of August and run them all the way through bow season
I take my Bowhunting seriously
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:07 pm

A mock scrape will absolutely work in the right areas with the right buck to doe ratios. I have several friends, here in Iowa, that use rope mock scrapes with great results. Now they're not hunting over them, but using them for buck inventory, so keep that in mind.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:09 pm

I tried the ropes last year with limited success.

I had zero success trying to start a mock scrape with an overhanging rope.

The only success I had was on existing scrapes. But, the existing scrapes that I did not have a rope on had just as much or more activity.

In my area, there are too many bears to use the ropes. Once they find them it's like a big chew toy. They pull them down and roll around with them on the ground.

I would find some really good community scrapes and hang a cam on those.
Missionshooter
500 Club

Unread postby Missionshooter » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:12 pm

I tried the 1" thick rope zip tied to a grape vine and used Smokeys preorb lure last yr. I had a couple bucks investigate, but not like I expected. I was fairly disappointed bc that stuff wasnt cheap and Wensel and don higgins spoke so highly of it.
STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8
Bogle

Unread postby Bogle » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:13 pm

I think if you search Bucky’s posts he uses them and has a few variations of it as well.
MikePerry

Unread postby MikePerry » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:20 pm

I also tried the rope zip tied it to a stick then zip tied that combo to a branch to make the rope at about average overhanging height, I scraped out the ground underneath but did not use any scent other than my own urine, I’d say about half of them are still getting hit the last three years the other half never got touched. I was just expecting to see if I could get them to stop in s certain spot in thicker areas so I would not have to cut a bunch of shooting lanes. Not sold on it at all.
Persistence pays!!!
Treewalker87

Unread postby Treewalker87 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:56 am

I use mock scrapes each year. I start them in July/August when I set out my cameras. After clearing the ground, I put a drip bag full of my and let the deer do the rest. You would be amazed how good FREE human pee works. Make sure there is a licking branch (or make one there with zip ties). I don't hunt over them, but use them as a way to inventory bucks. Doe and bucks all visit, get their picture taken and then move on to the next one. Don't waste money on any scents.
Tater

Unread postby Tater » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:22 am

I agree, i too have had good success using mock scrapes as an inventorty tool. I also only freshen with my own. I dont spend money on scents anymore.
Interested in a custom tune . . . . .

Visit us at http://www.tatersarcherysolutions.com
llcooljames

Unread postby llcooljames » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:39 am

I have pretty good luck with scraping my boot on the ground a little bit and then Peeing in it.
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:42 am

Missionshooter wrote: used Smokeys preorb lure .

Ive always played around and tried things just to see what I could get on camera

This seems to be the most consistent thing that ive experieced that seems to draw bucks in if any are around.

What I have also noticed too though, was they didnt spend any time licking and such....they just swung by to smell
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:50 pm

I really think real tarsal is the best deer pee threw them into scrapes for a reason. that gland dramatically changes odor threw out the season they are easy to collect just go to the venison processer and start cutting them off you can freeze them for later use. and I've never been turned down when I ask for them. just pack a mason jar full add boiling water let the tea brew and pull the oils off the hair.then dump the brew right on the scrape it will keep it active year round.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:59 pm

I have made tons and tons of mock scrapes, many with rope. Manila 3/4” with 9wire hog ends and stiffner will work better then most branches aside from Basswood. Scents are for suckers. As others have stated here, location and soft soil are the keys. Also, why are you making a mock Scrape? There lots of tactics people discuss but many do not understand the tapestry to which they fit. Sort of like someone learns how to boil pasta and then opens a restaurant with only that skill.
Green and growing... Or red and rotting

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”