Rope mock scrape

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Cohactah

Re: Rope mock scrape

Unread postby Cohactah » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:26 am

I made a mock scrape 3 years ago. It wasnt until last season the deer really used it and it was and experiment camera. I made it larger this year vs previous probably 3ftx4ft with a rub on a 4inch diameter tree and a licking branch that I had to replace 2-3x thru the season from bucks destroying it.. I know it's very controversial being human scent but I just spit literally on the licking branch and I did pee in the scrape this year.. I noticed on the days I did this the doe would use the scrape and pee over mine thus getting the bucks interested in the scrape. Now this only happened THIS year so it's not a confirmed behavior just a hypothesis and I know human scent is enemy #1 and I only had 2 mature bucks use this scrape. BUT I've never had mature deer on camera in this exact area it was an experiment area for that reason(not worried about spooking shooters). Once the deer started using the scrape 3-4 satellite scrapes popped up and the doe checked/used it daily along with a lot of younger 1.5-2.5 year old bucks..

Would I say use this tactic in area where there is bigger deer NO.. BUT it does warrant further testing.. yes deer have different scent they put into the scrapes and licking branch but IMO saliva is saliva.. and urine is urine.. we just lack those added scents from tarsal or orbital glands. The rest should be similar and enough to warrant the animal to check it out and that to me is all you need the curiosity of one to start the rest coming in.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:36 am

muddy wrote:A mock scrape will absolutely work in the right areas with the right buck to doe ratios. I have several friends, here in Iowa, that use rope mock scrapes with great results. Now they're not hunting over them, but using them for buck inventory, so keep that in mind.

Absolutely correct. Trail cameras will confirm this if you make one and set a camera up on it.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:27 am

I have had good success with it. Location is key... also you don’t “need” scent but it sure helps. I find that a well placed mock around Oct 18-25th is hunt-able. I killed a 140” 10pt off one two yrs ago.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
MN Slick

Unread postby MN Slick » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:03 am

Jim Ward's rigs have worked great for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-htJLQ9UOk

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”