Getting out of “the thick”

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NH Teufelhund

Getting out of “the thick”

Unread postby NH Teufelhund » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:52 am

Hey fellas, this is my first post! Im a self taught guy, no family or friends have taught me anything, I just always had a burning desire to bow hunt. I finished my 4th season, and have one buck so far but I read everything I can on here and bought the swamp DVD.

Here’s my question - so far my primary lesson every year is to get deeper. I’ve gone from being a dumby and sitting dead center in the timber to hunting the edge. And now I’m about to go IN the swamps next year and hunt like a beast as best I can. But how do I get out? Do you guys use headlamps? Do you use white or red lights? How do you stay quite getting out of the middle of a damn swamp?

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Getting out of “the thick”

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:13 am

Getting out quiet is not near as important as getting in silent. Your first sit is your best shot! Most don't hunt a spot more than once unless unusual circumstances. Most folks who have never been taught the wrong stuff tend to do better so your being self taught is prob a blessing. As a old coach used to say, I would rather have a guy who knows jack squat and start from scratch then have to deal with years of bad technique and teachings that they all seem to fall back on come crunch time. Good luck this season 8-)
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:16 am

Yep headlamp and compass is the way to so, some guys use a gps too but always have a backup compass or two. After dark you still have about a half hour of decent light to see, use that time wisely to get somewhere you know. It also helps to have a plan if you get lost, like knowing a road a trail within a mile or so if you walk in a certain direction. Once you get use to traveling in a swamp after dark it just becomes 2nd nature. I don't worry about making noise unless I know I am coming back the next night, which is only if I see a target animal so I just make a ton of noise on exit because I might not be back for a while.
RDubs44

Unread postby RDubs44 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:22 am

Welcome.

Biggest thing is to familiarize yourself with the swamp with post season scouting. Find the best interior transitions....Small wooded islands....Small lakes...lone trees...etc.

To navigate use whatever makes you comfortable and safe. Map and compass. GPS. Landmarks.

I think it depends on how you handle navigating in the dark. I have heard with 'the Hunting Public' fellas use the green LED lights to get around in the woods without spooking deer.

Always tell a close friend or family where you plan to hunt just in case.

Tip: watch dans youtube vids and pay attention to the small details makes a world of a difference :D
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:33 pm

If you're a new guys, so starting with the basics. First look at an aerial. Find out what direction any roads are, for emergency escape. Second, I take a compass reading when entering unfamiliar areas. Then you know to head to opposite direction coming out. With a GPS you can create a track and follow it back out in the dark if needed. Typically in the marsh you are following trails to get to your destination. Typically you will be following the same trails back out.

I've always used a green headlamp, when needed. Just my personal preference. It's easier on my night vision. And I think it spooks less game then a white light. But opinions vary.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:51 pm

When it's overcast and bone dark you gotta have a compass and a light to see the compass with.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:31 pm

Like others have said, a good flashlight compass are a must. I always have my gps and extra batteries for it and my flashlight as well. As far as noise goes, I’m not nearly concerned about noise on the way out as I do on the way it. Also, try to keep your head up in the dark. If you stare at the ground, you can quickly get turned around. This happens a lot when tracking a deer. At least for me it does. :lol:
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:09 pm

I won’t reiterate what the others have said because I do the same thing. Something I will add though is I’ve walked up to deer at night (bedded and standing) using regular white light LED lights and they do not know what you are AS LONG AS THEY DONT CATCH YOUR SCENT.

Your exit wont be as stealthy as your entrance, the exit is more about getting home in one piece. Sometimes that’s easier said than done
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
MikePerry

Unread postby MikePerry » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:22 pm

I’ve used a regular white light headlamp for years and have walked up on deer in the dark, I really do not think the color of the light matters much. Depending on the conditions wet, dry, lots of water whatever it is your going to make noise. I try to approach and leave the as slow and quiet as I can for at least 100 yards, after that I worry less about the noise I make but I always try to just move slow. I use a app on my phone to recognize exactly where I am in most situations if I feel the need to and of course carry a compas.
Persistence pays!!!
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:37 am

I heard a smart guy say this.

Yeah the swamps are intimidating, they're scary, you run into some nasty stuff, some thick stuff, some wet stuff, and when you're following those transition lines a lot of times, they feel like they're straight, and you're really walking in a circle, and all of a sudden you're going in a different direction in which you thought you were, and people get mixed up. But really, take your compass, take your gps, and just go out there and do what you gotta do, and don't be intimidated, and after awhile you get used to it. ~Dan Infalt

I think it's good advice. 8-)
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:51 am

It can be an adventure. I took my kayak in to a spot where there was just enough water to float IF YOU STAYED RIGHT IN THE CHANNEL. Needless to say that in the dark finding that channel is tough. I was almost ready to just give up and swim my kayak out. I learned the importance of mapping that day!
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:13 am

I use onx maps on my I phone with the aerial overlay. You can see thickets and tangles that you have to avoid and it points you right in the direction you need to go. I also carry a compass and back up battery pack. Like said just know the direction to roads in case the phone dies and you have to use a compass.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:15 am

Hawthorne wrote:I use onx maps on my I phone with the aerial overlay. You can see thickets and tangles that you have to avoid and it points you right in the direction you need to go. I also carry a compass and back up battery pack. Like said just know the direction to roads in case the phone dies and you have to use a compass.

I have onx the free version and all i see is green where woods are. Are you using different app. Is there a timeline on there like google earth. I can only see early summer or mid summerlike aireals. Am i missing somthing here on this app?
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:03 pm

Compass and headlamp phone if you get service. Main thing is being familiar with the area. But if your not I try to find a ditch or dike anything that I know takes me to where I need to be can seem like a daunting task no matter how well I know something I do still get turned around sometimes.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:35 pm

Lopedog699 wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:I use onx maps on my I phone with the aerial overlay. You can see thickets and tangles that you have to avoid and it points you right in the direction you need to go. I also carry a compass and back up battery pack. Like said just know the direction to roads in case the phone dies and you have to use a compass.

I have onx the free version and all i see is green where woods are. Are you using different app. Is there a timeline on there like google earth. I can only see early summer or mid summerlike aireals. Am i missing somthing here on this app?

There is no option for a timeline of photos I’m pretty sure. There is enough detail to see the different vegetation changes tho to tell if it’s brush, cattails, or trees. It might help you to turn off the color that highlights public land while navigating. Can do it in the map layers option. Google earth is better at showing details cyber scouting. I use both

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”