Anyone a moon guru?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

Anyone a moon guru?

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:11 am

This morning I saw deer everywhere between 8 and 830. Not just young ones, afew older age class bucks one still had both antlers. Prob saw 50 or 60 deer in a 30 min farm country drive. Also weather is warm and muggy 68 so it's not front related. Curious what the moon says for that time frame.

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Re: Anyone a moon guru?

Unread postby Tim H » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:25 am

I'd be interested in what Experienced Beasts take on how the moon effects deer movement. My opinion is if I have the time to hunt, and the wind seems right, I'm gonna hunt regardless of moon phase. But it's a curious subject for sure!
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:29 am

Not sure where you are located but in the eastern time zone the overhead times were 8 AM to 10 AM. In my opinion you can really see the effects more outside of hunting season because there are less factors that can trump it. When you’re driving around this summer and it’s been 80° for a week straight and stagnant weather take a look at a moon chart when you see deer out feeding at one in the afternoon in a field. In my opinion it definitely has an effect on movement but I believe there are other factors that trumpet especially during the hunting season.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:31 am

This is for the Central Time Zone so should be the same times down in Texas.

Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:37 am

NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:I'd be interested in what Experienced Beasts take on how the moon effects deer movement. My opinion is if I have the time to hunt, and the wind seems right, I'm gonna hunt regardless of moon phase. But it's a curious subject for sure!

I'm the same way, I'm going reguardless. But I have b4 seen younger deer flock to feeding fields matched up with overhead underfoot times. Now if I was chasing a world class deer on a property I had sole permission. I would prob try to throw as many positive conditions as possible into my first sit for him. Moon phase, first hard cold front timed with early seeking sounds good to me, heck I would even carry a rabbits foot just in case lol
-John Wayne-
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:39 am

Thanks Ridge and Dewey! Crazy I new something special was going on. I also didn't leave the house until 8 so early morning could have been plumb nasty out there.
-John Wayne-
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:43 am

Ridgerunner7 wrote:Not sure where you are located but in the eastern time zone the overhead times were 8 AM to 10 AM. In my opinion you can really see the effects more outside of hunting season because there are less factors that can trump it. When you’re driving around this summer and it’s been 80° for a week straight and stagnant weather take a look at a moon chart when you see deer out feeding at one in the afternoon in a field. In my opinion it definitely has an effect on movement but I believe there are other factors that trumpet especially during the hunting season.

I would agree...thats when I saw correlations with moon overhead/underfoot, in the summer when I was younger and glassed every evening all summer long. The biggest bucks showed up in daylight when overhead/underfoot lined up with last light again and again. In-season, I honestly struggle to notice correlations that are moon position related. The only ones I notice are moon phase - full moon at night means little activity at first light, that sort of thing. Hunting pressure, weather, and the stage of the rut trump moon all day every day....
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:00 am

JoeRE wrote:
Ridgerunner7 wrote:Not sure where you are located but in the eastern time zone the overhead times were 8 AM to 10 AM. In my opinion you can really see the effects more outside of hunting season because there are less factors that can trump it. When you’re driving around this summer and it’s been 80° for a week straight and stagnant weather take a look at a moon chart when you see deer out feeding at one in the afternoon in a field. In my opinion it definitely has an effect on movement but I believe there are other factors that trumpet especially during the hunting season.

I would agree...thats when I saw correlations with moon overhead/underfoot, in the summer when I was younger and glassed every evening all summer long. The biggest bucks showed up in daylight when overhead/underfoot lined up with last light again and again. In-season, I honestly struggle to notice correlations that are moon position related. The only ones I notice are moon phase - full moon at night means little activity at first light, that sort of thing. Hunting pressure, weather, and the stage of the rut trump moon all day every day....

Do u suspect if someone had a tv hunter scenario, where u have the entire home range of a giant and the best food money can buy as well as you are the only one hunting it. That the moon would be a killer tactic like u describe in non hunting season for us po folk? I have multiple properties that are not pressured other than myself but they are small and the other side of the fences are getting pounded so it doesn't seem to sway any odds for me.
-John Wayne-
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:14 am

This past fall was the first time I paid any attention to the moon. I made my own calendar based off what Bill Vale teaches in his book. I was amazed at how accurate it was. He gets a lot more involved than just overhead/underfoot times. The more of his factors that come into play at the same time, the better. I agree that you hunt whenever you can but some days are just better than others according to him and those are when you go to your best spots. The calendar also made me go in the woods at times I normally wouldn't have and I saw deer, including a 150 class 10 point that I screwed up on. He was out at 2:30 in the afternoon! The overhead/underfoot time started at 2:20 that day and it was also a perigee day.
I take my Bowhunting seriously
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:32 am

Mathewshooter wrote:This past fall was the first time I paid any attention to the moon. I made my own calendar based off what Bill Vale teaches in his book. I was amazed at how accurate it was. He gets a lot more involved than just overhead/underfoot times. The more of his factors that come into play at the same time, the better. I agree that you hunt whenever you can but some days are just better than others according to him and those are when you go to your best spots. The calendar also made me go in the woods at times I normally wouldn't have and I saw deer, including a 150 class 10 point that I screwed up on. He was out at 2:30 in the afternoon! The overhead/underfoot time started at 2:20 that day and it was also a perigee day.

Bills book is a lil pricey for me. But I'm aware of the diff between perigee/apogee from fishing. Perigee has a stronger gravitational pull. So was curious if he mentions anything about super moons and such enhancing the effects. I'm a believer in stacking the odds in your favor, but that only applies if you know the spot is not getting any traffic. On a public playground that's rarely the case. If that's what Bill does suspect he does what I do a lil of finding overlooked spots that no one else thinks to hunt.
-John Wayne-
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:23 am

I'm strait north of you and have the moon peaking just before 8am so I think we have a winner here.

Ridge any factors form the book you can share with us?
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:26 am

JoeRE wrote:I would agree...thats when I saw correlations with moon overhead/underfoot, in the summer when I was younger and glassed every evening all summer long. The biggest bucks showed up in daylight when overhead/underfoot lined up with last light again and again. In-season, I honestly struggle to notice correlations that are moon position related. The only ones I notice are moon phase - full moon at night means little activity at first light, that sort of thing. Hunting pressure, weather, and the stage of the rut trump moon all day every day....

When the pressure is down there is certainly some more activity. The moon for me is similar to weather, it makes a good thing even better, now if you can get the rut the weather and moon all working together those can be some fun days to be in the woods.
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:36 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
Mathewshooter wrote:This past fall was the first time I paid any attention to the moon. I made my own calendar based off what Bill Vale teaches in his book. I was amazed at how accurate it was. He gets a lot more involved than just overhead/underfoot times. The more of his factors that come into play at the same time, the better. I agree that you hunt whenever you can but some days are just better than others according to him and those are when you go to your best spots. The calendar also made me go in the woods at times I normally wouldn't have and I saw deer, including a 150 class 10 point that I screwed up on. He was out at 2:30 in the afternoon! The overhead/underfoot time started at 2:20 that day and it was also a perigee day.

Bills book is a lil pricey for me. But I'm aware of the diff between perigee/apogee from fishing. Perigee has a stronger gravitational pull. So was curious if he mentions anything about super moons and such enhancing the effects. I'm a believer in stacking the odds in your favor, but that only applies if you know the spot is not getting any traffic. On a public playground that's rarely the case. If that's what Bill does suspect he does what I do a lil of finding overlooked spots that no one else thinks to hunt.

I only hunt Public Land but I find the spots nobody else hunts....so do the deer. I dont recall Bill mentioning super moons but his moon chapter is quite a lot of info. I plan to read it again and learn more. This past season I mainly paid attention to moon overhead/underfoot, moonrise/moonset, perigee days(the day before, day of and day after perigee) and how close these times fall to sunrise/sunset. He also goes into a whole bunch of detail about when does will come into heat according to the moon but I didnt pay much attention to that. His book is pricey but its around 500 pages long and has a ton of info. I think its well worth the money. Its a tough read though, his editor needs glasses lol!
I take my Bowhunting seriously
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:03 pm

Wow I don't know anything about the moon deal. What does the whole overhead/ under foot thing mean, and how does it relate to hunting?
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:17 pm

headgear wrote:
JoeRE wrote:I would agree...thats when I saw correlations with moon overhead/underfoot, in the summer when I was younger and glassed every evening all summer long. The biggest bucks showed up in daylight when overhead/underfoot lined up with last light again and again. In-season, I honestly struggle to notice correlations that are moon position related. The only ones I notice are moon phase - full moon at night means little activity at first light, that sort of thing. Hunting pressure, weather, and the stage of the rut trump moon all day every day....

When the pressure is down there is certainly some more activity. The moon for me is similar to weather, it makes a good thing even better, now if you can get the rut the weather and moon all working together those can be some fun days to be in the woods.

I realate the moon phases more to weather than i do deer. If payed attention to you will notice more active weather before a full moon. I think all the moon phase stuff will work but there has to be minimal hunting pressure.
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”