Anyone a moon guru?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
JoeRE
500 Club

Re: Anyone a moon guru?

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:20 pm

wolverinebuckman wrote:Wow I don't know anything about the moon deal. What does the whole overhead/ under foot thing mean, and how does it relate to hunting?

Just my advice....don't dabble in it till a hunter has a sound working knowledge of all the major factors that effect deer movement. Hunting pressure, rut activity, weather, different food sources starting and ending...if you think you understand that, then dig into the moon stuff.

Everybody has a slightly different theory. I don't claim to understand them all. In general from what I have observed, there is a modest increase when the moon is directly overhead, underfoot, rising, and setting...but I firmly believe it is overshadowed by almost every other factor I listed first...

But that's just my opinion. I guarantee you can find folks that will disagree with me. And then they will disagree with each other :lol:

Do a search of old threads about the moon! There are some doozies.

I am not a moon guru!

UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:26 pm

wolverinebuckman wrote:Wow I don't know anything about the moon deal. What does the whole overhead/ under foot thing mean, and how does it relate to hunting?

There are some good moon talk threads you can find!

Andre has proved that big bucks can be taking in the morning near beds by hunting moon over/head theory, with moon straight up anytime with in the first hour or so of the morning bucks will tend to come back to bed later!! But like stated before low hunting pressure probably key for success! Dan will agree there is something to it, and alot others will too! Adam Hayes swears by it, but i dont believe in it totally but some.
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:27 pm

JoeRE wrote:

Just my advice....don't dabble in it till a hunter has a sound working knowledge of all the major factors that effect deer movement. Hunting pressure, rut activity, weather, different food sources starting and ending...if you think you understand that, then dig into the moon stuff.

Everybody has a slightly different theory. I don't claim to understand them all. In general from what I have observed, there is a modest increase when the moon is directly overhead, underfoot, rising, and setting...but I firmly believe it is overshadowed by almost every other factor I listed first...

But that's just my opinion. I guarantee you can find folks that will disagree with me. And then they will disagree with each other :lol:

I am not a moon guru!

I think you are correct with this. This can be a factor but something that should be used in the advanced stages of hunting!
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:28 pm

JoeRE wrote:

I am not a moon guru!

I agree. Its just another thing you can pay attention to just like weather, rut, pressure etc. I've only paid attention to it one year (last fall) and Ive been bowhunting 30 years. I will be paying more attention next fall to see if I have the same results. One thing that I have noticed over my hunting career is that during the full moon phases the deer move more in the middle of the day, especially during the rut phases.
Last edited by Mathewshooter on Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I take my Bowhunting seriously
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:29 pm

Used to slide down that slope too man...I only put value in it if they do the same tomorrow an hour later. :think:
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:51 pm

Dewey wrote:This is for the Central Time Zone so should be the same times down in Texas.

Dewey what app or site is that? It would come in handy musky fishing ;)
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:33 pm

JAK wrote:
Dewey wrote:This is for the Central Time Zone so should be the same times down in Texas.

Dewey what app or site is that? It would come in handy musky fishing ;)

iSolunar

If you want a real good app for musky fishing download the Musky Hunter app. I use it whenever on the water.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:47 pm

I dont know much about how the moon effects deer but i think its the light is why. I asked dan about this same thing Like during full moon the deer deer seem too move less during daylight hours and in new moon they move more. Dan told me if i remember his words correctly i think he said it like this. “Its like a time shift in movement thats all because of the more light the deer move later and earlier and during the new moon less light they move earlier and later” It does make sense if you think about it. I have also read alot that deer move mid day a little more during full moon but i have no idea if this is true or not though lol
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:25 pm

UofLbowhunter wrote:I realate the moon phases more to weather than i do deer. If payed attention to you will notice more active weather before a full moon. I think all the moon phase stuff will work but there has to be minimal hunting pressure.

I wasn't talking about moon phases at all, just good overhead/underfoot days but when you combine those with the rut or weather it can be even better. I don't think anyone has the moon stuff fully figured out yet either, we just have some loose guidelines to go by.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:32 pm

headgear wrote:
UofLbowhunter wrote:I realate the moon phases more to weather than i do deer. If payed attention to you will notice more active weather before a full moon. I think all the moon phase stuff will work but there has to be minimal hunting pressure.

I wasn't talking about moon phases at all, just good overhead/underfoot days but when you combine those with the rut or weather it can be even better. I don't think anyone has the moon stuff fully figured out yet either, we just have some loose guidelines to go by.

I wasnt stating you your relateing to moon phases to deer i was relating weather to the moon phases and how they both can influence things togather
MikePerry

Unread postby MikePerry » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:41 pm

Nope
Persistence pays!!!
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:13 am

I've had good movement on days with overhead/underfoot times within 30 minutes of closing time, along with high barometric pressures. I always try to be out when both coincide.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:54 am

In general when the moon is directly over your head or under your feet that is considered the major period.

When it's at the equator or horizon it's considered the minor phase.

When these periods occur at dusk/dawn is when it's best.

As joe stated there are plenty other factors more important but it is a factor.

The lower the pressure the more effect u will see. Start paying attention and you will notice often times the woods are quiet and all of a sudden u will notice everything starts moving, birds chirping. 9 times out of 10 that moon phase is occurring.

This same thing holds true for bass fishing
Make It Happen
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:52 am

:shock:
Yeah, I think I will learn a few other things before I worry too much about this...
Thanks for the info though!
I'm still figuring out bedding.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:51 am

Ok i hear it alot and just dont get it or how to figure it at or what to even read or watch to explain it. Im sorry but what is or does it mean when the moon is underfoot or overhead? Im not real savy on moon stuff but im lost when i hear it. Can anyone explain this stuff?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”