Post Season Scout

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jadamsnatural

Post Season Scout

Unread postby Jadamsnatural » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:17 am

I am currently formulation my plan for a post season scout on a 2000 acre piece, the question is where to start, this is river bottom ground, predominately flat, willows, cottonwoods, brush, pecan, very thick, not much change in elevation other than the occasional old slough bed or remnants of an old flow bank, ground is surrounded by ag.

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Re: Post Season Scout

Unread postby Rob loper » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:18 am

Id start wherever it is wet and nasty. Hard to get through stuff.
The thickest nastiest part of the property if not
Any water or swamp areas
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:31 am

I'd focus on the river bottom and any transition lines you find. I've had great luck finding beds on the edges of thick brush that are along a river. The key is to focus on transition lines.
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:32 am

Depending on the flow and size of the river, hopefully winding, look for oxbows and maybe steeper banks. If they are present, look for beds w/wind blowing into the "C" shape and crossings where it straightens out. If you find cover you'd think twice about entering...you're there.
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:49 am

Look at the aerial and cross off all the areas hunter frequent. Then of the remaining area left, define your transitions and foliage edges. Next find your wet and nasty areas. Start with the transition near the wet areas and work your way to dry transitions.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:06 am

2000 acres is way too much to scout in an offseason. Use what everybody else has stated to cut it down to at most 10% of that. Probably will find that a good portion of that 10% won't have the sign you want.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Jadamsnatural

Unread postby Jadamsnatural » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:23 am

Thanks for the advice, I am currently trimming it down to a manageable size and will work from there.

Thanks!
john
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:32 am

The key to any scouting you do is...Trying to only focus on the most productive looking spots.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”