My Beast Senses Are Tingling

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowfisher

My Beast Senses Are Tingling

Unread postby Bowfisher » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:06 pm

Alright guys, those little beast hairs on the back of my neck just stood up. I was ariel scouting maps of a new area (typical) and I may have just found a killer set up. It's one of those "I'm either crazy or a genius" type spots. Small swampy section, between houses, an industrial lot, and a road. There are two small islands of brush/small scrub trees in the sea of cats and brush (suspected bedding), with large groomed hay fields somewhat nearby that I am predicting will be a destination food source (direction of travel). There are no trees within 70 yards of the bed, and none along the suspected travel route. Plan would be to slip in there CLOSE with a ghillie, since I'm sure IF there is a decent buck there he won't rise until right at dark. I almost think I'm crazy for even thinking about hunting this spot, but maybe that is what it will take ;) or maybe it'll be a complete bust with no beds or buck sign at all :lol: a scouting trip here soon will tell the story! Anyone have success in a spot somewhat like this?

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: My Beast Senses Are Tingling

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:19 pm

I've had good success in similar situations. In most cases what made them good was the surrounding area was receiving heavy pressure. It's the kind of spot u need to do your homework and observe exactly where the buck is exiting and how close u can get cause more than likely u will only get one crack at it.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:36 pm

Bowfisher wrote: I almost think I'm crazy for even thinking about hunting this spot, but maybe that is what it will take

Those are the exact spots where the big bucks lay.....good luck with it.
bigbucks1234

Unread postby bigbucks1234 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:00 pm

This spot sounds tailor made for a beast hunt. Why not throw a sit at it. If your thinking your crazy for it that should confirm it warranting a hunt. Any way to scope those alfalfa fields for big deer entering fields at last light?
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:03 am

Do you see any travel routes through the cats on overhead? This is the exact style of hunts I'm looking to improve on this year, ground sits in the cat tails with no trees nearby. Should be exciting!
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:43 am

If you are able to put boots on the ground there, I would do that. That usually puts a spot in my "game on". Sometimes aerial photos can be a few years old and not show what's going on right now...
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:23 am

It's funny how the two terms of crazy and genius coincide. If it works you're a genius, if it doesn't you're crazy. :D
mnswamphunter

Unread postby mnswamphunter » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:21 am

I hope you get a slob out of your set up. :D
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:02 pm

NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:It's funny how the two terms of crazy and genius coincide. If it works you're a genius, if it doesn't you're crazy. :D

First off I'm not crazy, I'm special! And everyone knows if it doesn't work out its because it's someone else's fault basic whitetail 101 :lol:
-John Wayne-
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:33 pm

Nothing solidifies a plan like boot on the ground! You gotta get in there to make sure your observations are correct.

I shot a 120" 10 pointer bedded 20 yards off a busy logging road. Watching the truck drive by. Never say never!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Tim H
500 Club

Unread postby Tim H » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:45 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:It's funny how the two terms of crazy and genius coincide. If it works you're a genius, if it doesn't you're crazy. :D

First off I'm not crazy, I'm special! And everyone knows if it doesn't work out its because it's someone else's fault basic whitetail 101 :lol:

You don’t happen to shoot Rages and complain when they don’t open up do you? :lol:
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:11 pm

NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:

You don’t happen to shoot Rages and complain when they don’t open up do you? :lol:

Only when they have a scratch and dent sale! The rest of the time I shoot great value! How's the book coming along, I'm not much of a tv person so I do a lot of reading, and history is my fav subject..
-John Wayne-
Tim H
500 Club

Unread postby Tim H » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:15 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:

Only when they have a scratch and dent sale! The rest of the time I shoot great value! How's the book coming along, I'm not much of a tv person so I do a lot of reading, and history is my fav subject..

Haven’t started it. Been pretty tired after work each night. I’ll start it tonight! Thanks for the reminder. ;)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”