DIY part two Andy May (ridgerunner7)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Wetfoot
500 Club

Re: DIY part two Andy May (ridgerunner7)

Unread postby Wetfoot » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:26 am

Awesome!! I was wondering if you had to fight anyone off to tag him, lol. Great story. I may have to rethink some of my areas. I find myself backing out typically if I feel others are too close. Can't imagine seeing a stud like that in the UP. Congrats on a terrific hunt. 8-)

tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:37 am

Ridgerunner7 wrote:
tgreeno wrote:One of the best hunters around here, along with some others!

If Andy reads this I'm wondering...If his post season scouting that showed the buck was still alive, was strictly trail cams or something more? And also, if the area has that many guys, how does he not get his trail cam stolen???

Thanks guys. tgreeno: My camera in 2015 had the SD card stolen but the camera remain (locked up). That happened in November sometime but I kept using it. The next year in 2016 the camera was actually stolen. It was locked up but they must've broke the housing to get it loose because all that was left was my python lock. 2017 I went cameraless and I won't use any cameras out there any more, just too risky. In 2015 I actually got a picture of the buck on January 12 at night which proved he made it. IN 2016 I was out scouting in February and came across some tracks, one of which was extremely large. It was obvious it was him as like I mentioned in the story, I had no evidence of even a two year old buck any where in that area. Later on in in the spring I when I was scouting I saw several deer enter the giant crop field nearby. There was a deer that stood out from the rest in body size. I put the glass on him and noticed the significant white rings around his eyes. They really stood out on this buck. My original story was condensed down by Joe because it was too revealing to where I actually shot this deer. I'm long winded I guess and that's the only reason Joe needed a two part series..lol.

Ok Thanks Andy! I was just curious, because I'm not a big camera guy because of getting them stolen & alerting others I'm in the area. I get my most of my intel by tracks, rub & scrapes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:39 am

Ridgerunner7 wrote:
Swampbuck wrote:It's crazy a buck can survive with people surrounding him within 100 yds. It's also amazing what a difference 100 yds can make when hunting.

Incredible job there getting him. The one question I have... did you drag that deer out with other guys watching :lol:

No sir. I heard him crash and new he was down but waited until late night for the retrieval for two reasons: 1. that spot would be ruined permanently. 2. I really wanted to wait for my two buddy's to get there just to share that moment. (and help drag :D )

Hahaha, that's awesome!! I figured you waited and didn't want to ruin that area.

That's at the tops of big buck successes I've heard of. Congrats!!
Make It Happen
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:06 am

Awsome story!!aand a great big buck killer! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:17 am

Cool story!!! :clap:
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:40 pm

Great read!
MikePerry

Unread postby MikePerry » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:48 pm

Great story and great buck, much respect Andy
Persistence pays!!!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:36 pm

Outstanding buck! Outstanding story!

Your hunting pressure in that area is unreal. Way to get it done :dance:
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:40 pm

Good stuff Andy! :clap:

Gotta love MI hunting eh! :lol:
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:46 pm

One of the best hunt documentary on a mature buck kill I have read. Hats off to Andy for a well executed and persistent effort over several sessions...... and in MI. Outstanding.
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:44 am

Ridgerunner7 wrote:
tgreeno wrote:One of the best hunters around here, along with some others!

If Andy reads this I'm wondering...If his post season scouting that showed the buck was still alive, was strictly trail cams or something more? And also, if the area has that many guys, how does he not get his trail cam stolen???

Thanks guys. tgreeno: My camera in 2015 had the SD card stolen but the camera remain (locked up). That happened in November sometime but I kept using it. The next year in 2016 the camera was actually stolen. It was locked up but they must've broke the housing to get it loose because all that was left was my python lock. 2017 I went cameraless and I won't use any cameras out there any more, just too risky. In 2015 I actually got a picture of the buck on January 12 at night which proved he made it. IN 2016 I was out scouting in February and came across some tracks, one of which was extremely large. It was obvious it was him as like I mentioned in the story, I had no evidence of even a two year old buck any where in that area. Later on in in the spring I when I was scouting I saw several deer enter the giant crop field nearby. There was a deer that stood out from the rest in body size. I put the glass on him and noticed the significant white rings around his eyes. They really stood out on this buck. My original story was condensed down by Joe because it was too revealing to where I actually shot this deer. I'm long winded I guess and that's the only reason Joe needed a two part series..lol.

Great story man!! Really enjoyed that. Just goes to show that even in HEAVY pressured areas that you can outsmart them! (The deer and the other hunters :lol: )
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:19 am

Great read! I love stories like this when the odds seem stacked. Andy mentioned one of the keys to his continued success was his devotion to shooting form and beating target panic. I would love to see an article or podcast in the future where you discuss this in more detail. I think a lot of us are always looking for ways to be a better shot, especially in the field.
Primetime41

Unread postby Primetime41 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:56 am

Great read! Would be awesome to get a HB podcast with Andy.
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:23 am

Very good read. Thanks for sharing. His hunting career is still young too!
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:45 am

Stud of a buck Andy! And great story, well deserved
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”