Cam jam as an adjustable aider?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Motivated
500 Club

Cam jam as an adjustable aider?

Unread postby Motivated » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:37 pm

https://youtu.be/9EDZvNivgBc

At 4 min 52 seconds he uses a cam jam as an ascender. Does anybody here do this? Is it safe? Practical?

If so, I may have to try it out.

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Jonny
500 Club

Re: Cam jam as an adjustable aider?

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:44 pm

I have a couple of those. No way would I do this. They work great for lashing gear to a stand though.

Spend the money and buy a ropeman ascender and climbing carabiner. Would do the exact same thing but now you have stuff rated for climbing.

Pretty slick idea though
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:12 pm

Jonny wrote:I have a couple of those. No way would I do this. They work great for lashing gear to a stand though.

Spend the money and buy a ropeman ascender and climbing carabiner. Would do the exact same thing but now you have stuff rated for climbing.

Pretty slick idea though

Yeah, I thought it kind of was a slick idea too, so I thought I would bring it to everyone's attention. I tend to use the Cranford steps and a nylon aider for setting trail cams up 10-12 feet high. Easier than toting around a stick when doing an all day scouting session through all of the thick and nasty stuff.

I do have ropeman1 ascender that I use on my lineman's belt. I just never considered doing anything similar to SRT (single rope technique) for any hunting application. That is kindof what he is doing.

I always see the cam jams in the store but I've never used one. So I don't know how sturdy they are. I know they are not likely climbing rated. But honestly the sit drag is not either and guys use it as a saddle all of the time. So I thought I would bring this up and see what people thought about it.
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:59 pm

Got a pic anyone of a camjam?
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:50 pm

Here’s the thread on saddle hunter where he explains a bit more and some other guys added some more advice:

http://saddlehunter.com/community/index ... anford-ezy®-climb-folding-rope-tree-step.5201/

Here’s a link to the can jam lope:

http://www.niteize.com/product/camjamxt ... htener.asp
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:28 am

Motivated wrote:
Jonny wrote:I have a couple of those. No way would I do this. They work great for lashing gear to a stand though.

Pretty slick idea though

Yeah, I thought it kind of was a slick idea too, so I thought I would bring it to everyone's attention. I tend to use the Cranford steps and a nylon aider for setting trail cams up 10-12 feet high. Easier than toting around a stick when doing an all day scouting session through all of the thick and nasty stuff.

I do have ropeman1 ascender that I use on my lineman's belt. I just never considered doing anything similar to SRT (single rope technique) for any hunting application. That is kindof what he is doing.

I always see the cam jams in the store but I've never used one. So I don't know how sturdy they are. I know they are not likely climbing rated. But honestly the sit drag is not either and guys use it as a saddle all of the time. So I thought I would bring this up and see what people thought about it.

The thing with a sit drag is you are typically wearing it over a rock climbing harness so you have a fail safe. He is using a linemans belt but that won't do much if anything breaks. With a working load of 500lbs and breaking of 1500lbs in theory you will be fine. But like everything in the world, nothing is guaranteed.

The cam jams are sturdy in that the rope won't slip through them. I actually prefer them to bungees for strapping gear down as long as I have some clothing for shock absorbing, but you can get them very tight and solid. Wish they would make a climbing version of it since it just combines a ropeman and biner into one piece construction
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:45 am

I'm in agreement with Jonny.

I like them a lot for tying my kayak down, but I'd have a hard time trusting my fat climbing with one. Even though it says 500 lbs and I'm 180, it'd still scare me that I'm pushing it to the limits. They're pretty cheap so it's tempting to just give them a whirl and trust your lanyard in case it goes.

It'd be awesome if they'd make a climbing rated one with a quick release.
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:47 am

Something I forgot to add is:

I know Justin (the guy in the video) has used that system for at least a half dozen hunts with no problems (he mentions that in the saddlehunter thread). He saw no visible signs of damage to the cam jam.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:37 am

Babshaft wrote:Here’s the thread on saddle hunter where he explains a bit more and some other guys added some more advice:

http://saddlehunter.com/community/index ... anford-ezy®-climb-folding-rope-tree-step.5201/

Here’s a link to the can jam lope:

http://www.niteize.com/product/camjamxt ... htener.asp

Cool thanks babs
Onemanwolphpack

Unread postby Onemanwolphpack » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:35 am

Just curious if anyone has tried these? They look slick.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:21 am

Looks sweet but makes me nervous lol.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”