Peninsula Bedding - How buck uses the wind?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Natenlsn2

Peninsula Bedding - How buck uses the wind?

Unread postby Natenlsn2 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:52 pm

I have found a few buck beds on the ends of peninsulas of high ground extending out into swamps and marshes. The bucks are accessing the beds through the peninsula with rubs going in and out on the peninsula. My question is, will they access the tip of that point with wind in the face or wind to the back? It is my understanding that the bucks like to go to a point and overlook the swamp with the wind at their back coming from the high ground. In that scenario, the buck would enter the bed with the wind at his back and not have the advantage of scent checking his bed before entering. 2nd scenario, buck enters through the peninsula to get to bed with wind in his face, j hooks and watches his back trail. Disadvantage to this scenario is now he doesn’t watch the marsh and has to visually spot a predator coming from the high ground instead of using his nose. Which scenario does a big buck prefer/what kind of wind should I plan to have to hunt this so that the wind is right for the buck to want to bed there? Do I want the wind blowing up the peninsula to the bed of from the marsh to the bed? Not sure if this makes sense haha

Nathan Nelson
Still Water Outdoors

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Peninsula Bedding - How buck uses the wind?

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:24 pm

In my area the bucks return b4 light and use the still dropping thermal to there advantage and let the rest of the herd that's still feeding cover the back door.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:47 pm

Catching them going in there is a lot harder than coming out. They come into there beds from down wind most of the time. When they leave a lot of the time they walk right up the hard land point. With wind blowing from the swamp they tend to bed on the point, back to swamp and wind, looking up the point for danger. When the wind is blowing down the point they tend to bed into the swamp a little smelling the point and using sound / sight to detect danger from the swamp. They bed both ways on most good points, but preference seems to lean towards points that have the wind coming down the point predominantly.
Wolfofmibu

Unread postby Wolfofmibu » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:36 am

Well dan pretty much awnsered your question , I shot a buck two years ago off a point like this . The point was going the same direction as the predominant wind . And he seemed to like to bed there on that wind. So I hunted it with just an off wind just to the side so he still felt comfortable coming down the point. It was a sw wind point and I hunted it on a west wind but hugged the bottom right side so my scent stream went out into the swamp. Hope this helps .
Primetime41

Unread postby Primetime41 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:57 am

dan wrote:Catching them going in there is a lot harder than coming out. They come into there beds from down wind most of the time. When they leave a lot of the time they walk right up the hard land point. With wind blowing from the swamp they tend to bed on the point, back to swamp and wind, looking up the point for danger. When the wind is blowing down the point they tend to bed into the swamp a little smelling the point and using sound / sight to detect danger from the swamp. They bed both ways on most good points, but preference seems to lean towards points that have the wind coming down the point predominantly.

I found a bed on a "peninsula" that extends into a small pond. It appears the buck beds with his back against a good-sized tree and faces the pond, with the wind blowing from his back-side. I've set up a camera in the area to monitor activity entering/exiting bedding, but I can't tell if it's being used now that the pond has iced over, so I"m not sure I'll get many pics until it warms up. How would you expect a buck to enter this bed? In order to come in from downwind, he would need to cross the pond, which is only a few feet deep, but has a mucky bottom, making it difficult to cross. Would he scent check it from a distance and loop around the pond and enter from upwind?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:12 am

Primetime41 wrote:
dan wrote:Catching them going in there is a lot harder than coming out. They come into there beds from down wind most of the time. When they leave a lot of the time they walk right up the hard land point. With wind blowing from the swamp they tend to bed on the point, back to swamp and wind, looking up the point for danger. When the wind is blowing down the point they tend to bed into the swamp a little smelling the point and using sound / sight to detect danger from the swamp. They bed both ways on most good points, but preference seems to lean towards points that have the wind coming down the point predominantly.

I found a bed on a "peninsula" that extends into a small pond. It appears the buck beds with his back against a good-sized tree and faces the pond, with the wind blowing from his back-side. I've set up a camera in the area to monitor activity entering/exiting bedding, but I can't tell if it's being used now that the pond has iced over, so I"m not sure I'll get many pics until it warms up. How would you expect a buck to enter this bed? In order to come in from downwind, he would need to cross the pond, which is only a few feet deep, but has a mucky bottom, making it difficult to cross. Would he scent check it from a distance and loop around the pond and enter from upwind?

One very large buck I hunted that bedded on an oxbow peninsula I watched enter his bed on the same wind two different days, two different ways. The 1st time he came from straight down wind and crossed a very deep river, next time he came wind to back and circled the oxbow edge to come to the bed from down wind. I would expect either could be going on.
Best not to screw with it with cameras and such or it will just go dead. Monitor it for rubs and big buck sign in the area from a distance and when something worthy is in the area, give it a sit.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”