Ideal time to prep stands?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

pewpewpew

Ideal time to prep stands?

Unread postby pewpewpew » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:34 pm

When do you believe is the best time of year to prep your stands/trees, and why? Leaves on or leaves off? Closer to season opener or now?

daveynewman
500 Club

Re: Ideal time to prep stands?

Unread postby daveynewman » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:37 pm

I like to do mine in March. And not touch it until I am ready to hunt it. Less time in and out close to the bedding better ur chances are.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:45 pm

anytime now that season is done but im now a pretty much 85% mobile setup man now but
get out anytime now and set up the earlier the better the deer forget the longer they arent disturbed
Lastcast#1

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:51 pm

Cant trim here on public so if I do anything its on the ground generally. I just figure out away to make it happen. My young career has taught me many lessons.
1. You have to have a shot bonehead!
2. You have to have a shot bonehead.

Most locations will only see me in them once anyway and often once season begins, I am making adjustments on the fly which often involves moving to a different tree. It seems the less I mess, the more deer I see. It has certainly cost me opportunities though.

Chad
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:25 pm

If I am hunting a spot,rather than current sign. I like to have it done well in advance. Due to the amount of time I'm in that area getting everything the way I want it, I saturate the area with my scent. So, I take my time get everything the way I want then I stay out until I hunt it.

Even on public or private that will not allow cutting I bend limbs and tie back with wire, I remove debris around my tree and disturb area way to much to hunt anytime soon.

If u r doing very minimal damage and only hunting the spot once I don't see a need for doing this.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:25 pm

Typically while I'm scouting it, if there's a need to. I only have to prep maybe 50% of my set-ups.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
MikePerry

Unread postby MikePerry » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:34 pm

Once the season ends up till greenup I’ll trim lanes at trees I’ve chosen to hunt the next year and at the traditional trees I hunt each year. I often adjust to other trees during the season and do little trimming then. It has cost me shot opportunities and this past season a deflection but I just don’t like to trim once the season is in.
Persistence pays!!!
JusPassinThru

Unread postby JusPassinThru » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:37 pm

I like to prep my spots when I'm out scouting early spring. I always bring my stand and sticks with me while scouting so I don't have to make another trip out there until it's time to hunt that spot.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:56 pm

Prep stands.....what’s that? :lol:

When I hunt a spot the only evidence I leave behind is maybe a few scrape marks on the tree from my stand or sticks.

Don’t have the luxury of prepping stands. I can’t trim stuff out because it’s illegal. Basically I choose a tree while scouting and don’t go back till I hunt it. Very rare that I can’t make it work on the fly with a stand/sticks or saddle. With a climber it would be seriously tough.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:20 am

If possible, spring. I don't trim, I just test the strength of branches by hanging on the end of them :whistle:

Trim as little as possible. Don't strip an entire pine tree for a climber. Be smart. Never had a warden look twice at a pruner in my pack, but have seen tickets issued to guys with chainsaws covered in fresh sawdust. I trim enough so I feel safe climbing the tree, and also have ethical shot opportunities. Can be in the best tree in the world, but if you can't shoot the buck, you are wasting your time. That being said, I very rarely ever have to cut "shooting lanes". If I do, its a branch or two at most. Typically all I trim is something I can reach from my stand, and I break it when possible.

My biggest buck would have been my uncles biggest buck if he trimmed one branch.

But yeah switching to a hang on, I rarely ever pull a pruner or saw out anymore. Best thing I ever did was stop using the climber, and now I get the insurance money for it to buy better sticks 8-)
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:22 am

Our growing season is so long its not really effective to clear shooting lanes. The void would be filled come October. The only real prepping I do is finding the tree I want/need to hunt from during scouting and make it huntable if need be. Meaning trimming anything small in the way up the tree and clearing debris from the base of the tree for quiet setups. I’d honestly rather leave no sign i was even in the area. I’m still green to a lot of the places I’m hunting so it’s still trial and error on set ups. Not wasting the energy until everything is in order.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:39 am

Anytime between end of season and summer. Spent time yesterday prepping.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:03 am

Dewey wrote:Prep stands.....what’s that? :lol:

When I hunt a spot the only evidence I leave behind is maybe a few scrape marks on the tree from my stand or sticks.

Yep x2. I used to prep stands but its vary rare now. If its an amazing spot and needs it then yes I will. I learned awhile back I was wasting time w prep bc any given day the plan can change and I was prepping spots I was not hunting! IMO the best time to prep is while scouting, minor trimming then move on.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:23 am

I would also add, I prep and have ready 50-60 different sets in a season. Trees picked out, trimmed and ready to roll. Some of these sets, I have never hunted.
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:27 am

mainebowhunter wrote:I would also add, I prep and have ready 50-60 different sets in a season. Trees picked out, trimmed and ready to roll. Some of these sets, I have never hunted.

Same here.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”