Doe Bedding in Hill Country

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wall hanger

Doe Bedding in Hill Country

Unread postby Wall hanger » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:43 am

Do does bed the same as bucks in Hill country? I wasn’t sure if they always bed on the third on leewardside or will they congregate on the tops.

Jeff G
500 Club

Re: Doe Bedding in Hill Country

Unread postby Jeff G » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:10 am

Wall hanger wrote:Do does bed the same as bucks in Hill country? I wasn’t sure if they always bed on the third on leewardside or will they congregate on the tops.

no they do not.

They bed in groups, other sets of eyes help with detecting danger.

Bucks will be loners and seek out the safest spots. On our farm I notice the does bed more on top of the ridges, not taking the wind into account as much as the bucks do.
Wall hanger

Unread postby Wall hanger » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:22 am

Thanks Jeff. I hunted some Ohio Hill country this past November and I was observing doe bedding on ridge tops and also on non leeward hillsides and was starting to second guess things
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:32 am

I hunt the same type terrain as Jeff does and sometimes I think the does just flop where they feel like it :lol: ...but they like to circle the wagons and bed in groups, usually 2-4 beds, not necessarily on ridge tops but always in some area where they can see well, each positioned looking outwards.I like to try to find as much of doe bedding as I can so I can avoid it walking in and rut set ups.
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:51 am

I love how doe bed it's so cool how They work as a team.
pewpewpew

Unread postby pewpewpew » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:42 pm

Every time I put a trail camera over a bed, I see bucks and does using the same beds.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:40 pm

I’ve seem lone does bed like bucks but I usually see them on ridge tops in thick cover like briars or overgrown power line cuts, seen them bed inside draws and at the bottom of draws, bottoms around creeks, thick overgrown creek edges, middle of cutovers, pretty much any thick cover, see them in overgrown fields too even it’s just tall grass
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:06 pm

does will tend to bed following leeward rule they bed high and low and in the wind tunnel and low. or low or against a cliff or wind break in foul weather the Alfa does will favor the better cover and wind tunnels. lone does and older does bed in wind tunnels same as bucks for most part. the cover and wind tunnels depends on hunting pressure predators. rut is more cover. but leeward is almost always in play.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:27 am

From what I have seen they do bed mostly the same as bucks (points and upper 1/3 military crest leeward or windward). They just do it a lot more consistently. Where a buck may have many different beds for different winds, the does tend to bed the same place almost everyday based more on close food than wind or security cover. And they will use eachother and many eyes and noses for security instead of the wind as bucks do.

I see mature bucks bedding with or near does a lot also, and using the does as an added alarm system for danger, but bucks will usually also have a wind advantage
Some do. Some don't. I just might...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”