camo - mix and match??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

stewarttr

camo - mix and match??

Unread postby stewarttr » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:22 pm

I do a lot of reading here, and am not one to post much. I can say that I relate more to this sight than most. My question is about camo. Seems that they are marketing HARD on different patterns ( If I listen to them I think I need to change camo about every 100 yards I go ). For those of you doing this a lot longer than myself, what do you find work or does not work ( I think what does not work may be more important ). Currently I use a mix of different patterns. If I find a sale or a one thing that I think I will get use out of, I buy it. Does it help to keep the a uniform pattern? Do you find that if you are going to be more in the open than you like one pattern works better than others? Do you have different sets depending on stand location? Do you change patterns based on season and location?

magicman54494
500 Club

Re: camo - mix and match??

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:54 pm

i like any large pattern. these tend to break up your outline at a distance. when checking out patterns, look at them from at least 20 yds. smaller patterns tend to turn into one big blob at that distance .
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:57 pm

x2 i use open pattern and have many deer and other animals stare right at me during season rarely busting
i also dont think camo is a big deal killed 3 deer in a camo top and brown bird hunting pants this fall-
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:01 pm

Best Camo ever is a blend of be still and quit moving around. For myself I like to hunt in the shadows, shade is my best friend. I know sitting in the sun feels a lot better on a cold day, but casting a shadow and being sky lit is never a good option IMO... Disappearing in the shadows is relitively easy any dark pattern works for me.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
pewpewpew

Unread postby pewpewpew » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:58 pm

I’m going camoless next season. I’ll report back if I found a difference.
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:44 pm

IMO I'll agree open patterns are best at breaking up your outline. Also, most patterns are too dark. BM is correct, shadows are your friend and also provide most of the dark you need. Minimizing movement, moving slowly and learning when you can move are key. A deers eyes are designed primarily to detect movement. I've had stare downs with deer at 4 paces and been picked off at 60 yards. My favorite over the past 10 years or so has been Cabela's outfitter camo. Harder to find nowadays. Back in the 90's was a huge fan of skyline camo. But movement is really the key. :think:
EdC

Unread postby EdC » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:54 pm

I think the best advice on this thread is movement or lack of it

I often think how animals disappear from site in the woods when observing them
they don't have any of the camo patterns being promoted these days

Just a few weeks ago I had a aHa moment watching both my boys walk pass a large group of saplings
I saw them clearly against the background of the house, as they moved down the trail through the saplings
they totally disappeared, both wore dark clothes moving through the saplings
similar to what a deer would do till something would betray their movements to detect them

This got me thinking about the people at ASAT talking about negative space occupying the majority of patterns in woods
What I saw and read confirms to me about camo similar to what Boogieman1 says

Boogieman1 wrote:Best Camo ever is a blend of be still and quit moving around. For myself I like to hunt in the shadows, shade is my best friend. I know sitting in the sun feels a lot better on a cold day, but casting a shadow and being sky lit is never a good option IMO... Disappearing in the shadows is relitively easy any dark pattern works for me.

As for being in a tree and being dark not really sure
I've seen stuff about skyline camo, I even think I saw Dan wearing a type of Skyline Camo, I suspect this is where open patterns will help you

So If I had to choose some sort of camo pattern, I'm with the group that like the open patterns, I'm pretty sure it is a happy medium for negative spaces where large areas of light and dark exist
Everyone Gets Close - Few Finish The Job
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:43 am

For camo I'm sure some patterns are more effective than others for one reason or another. But that's not to say a person won't be successful with brand x versus brand y. I'm sure they all work good enough to get the job done.

With that said though, I believe that certain camo companies put more effort in function more than others. But with that functionality the prices start to come up. Yes marketing has a lot to do with it but if you try a high end camo you might be surprised on how well it performs. A couple years ago a hunter I respected told me that one of the most important parts of your gear is your clothing and boots. You need a gear that's quiet, effective, and something that will keep you in the stand. For me I use Sitka gear and have for two seasons. It has performed very well in all sorts of weather and have been very impressed with it. I like the greyish pattern and it fits well in the environments that I hunt. In October and later, most the leaves are off the trees and there is mostly greys, blacks, and browns. I sit in a lot of poplar, birch, and maple trees. The Sitka pattern seems to match pretty good. Do I ever get spotted in the tree? I sure do here and there but I think that's just hunting. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

But I will admit, one of the main reasons I like Sitka gear is because I look great in pictures! Look good, feel good! 8-)
OldMtnMan

Unread postby OldMtnMan » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:50 am

I've said it before and i'll keep repeating it. Camo is a scam. It's made for the military to fool humans and does that well. Movement and smell is what gets you busted.

I've worn red and black plaid shirt and jacket and brown jeans for 6 decades and had game staring at me at 10 yds. As long as I stay still they stay calm. One little movement and they're gone. Move when they aren't looking and play the wind. If you do that you can wear a clown suit and not get busted.
Buckinator

Unread postby Buckinator » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:56 am

I have mix match camo, never bothered the deer as far as I know. I think some of the guys from the hunting public or whitetail adrenalin even spray painted some cloths to match their surroundings better. Some guys don't wear camo at all and still have success. Hide in shadows, cover I think is also key. I like to have a branch or two to kinda conceal me up in a tree which I factor in when picking a tree.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:59 am

I really dont think it matters if your hidden your hidden
Ive been picked off in all cammo patterns ive had just about all of them. I think its more of your outline or movements. You look back or read things from hunting mags or article. From 50-60 years ago even back further Those guys had all wool flannels wool pants red and black checkered flannel seemed like the most popular. With forest green pants. Lol. and ive heard even dan say he hunts in his blue jeans somtimes coming from work. I really think we have all been conditioned over the years by the so called big tv hunter experts and cammo companies that we need cammo to kill dear. Its just like the equipment marketing ploys. Oh you need this 1500$ bow to kill a buck. Or this 200$ grunt call. Its all gimmicks.
Yes i buy cammo too. And i wear it but.ive bought scent lok. But never again unless its dirt cheap lol
As long as its confortable and quiet while moving. Walmart, sportsmans guide ebay cheap stuff even used (if clean). Is okay with me outlines and movements are the biggest things that get us picked off in a tree.
OldMtnMan

Unread postby OldMtnMan » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:00 am

Buckinator wrote:I have mix match camo, never bothered the deer as far as I know. I think some of the guys from the hunting public or whitetail adrenalin even spray painted some cloths to match their surroundings better. Some guys don't wear camo at all and still have success. Hide in shadows, cover I think is also key. I like to have a branch or two to kinda conceal me up in a tree which I factor in when picking a tree.

What your wearing in your avatar is perfect.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:15 am

I like camo that blends with everything I run first light fusion cipher and kryptek highlander I also use llbean wool camo and flat green and browns in solids. I pic my camo for what I want out of it function wise I will like x brands camo pants then wear x brands top and x brands base layers I pic and choose depending on weather and terrain factors like tall wet grass heavy brush ect. you are actually better off mixing patterns because it helps break up the human shape. choose garments for your needs then worry about pattern last. also solid color clothes are normally cheaper so you can buy better quality.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Buckinator

Unread postby Buckinator » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:23 am

OldMtnMan wrote:
Buckinator wrote:I have mix match camo, never bothered the deer as far as I know. I think some of the guys from the hunting public or whitetail adrenalin even spray painted some cloths to match their surroundings better. Some guys don't wear camo at all and still have success. Hide in shadows, cover I think is also key. I like to have a branch or two to kinda conceal me up in a tree which I factor in when picking a tree.

Haha thank you, thats my modeling outfit.
I am trying to get some permission in some urban/metro areas to hunt, if i can get access I think I may go in with some muted flannel and khakis, so i don't draw attention when im gearing up near the roadside. Kinda like disguising myself as a non-hunter. Camo screams hunter and draws attention from people, especially in non-hunter urban areas. Maybe im paranoid but thats my plan.
OldMtnMan

Unread postby OldMtnMan » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:22 am

Buckinator wrote:
OldMtnMan wrote:

Haha thank you, thats my modeling outfit.
I am trying to get some permission in some urban/metro areas to hunt, if i can get access I think I may go in with some muted flannel and khakis, so i don't draw attention when im gearing up near the roadside. Kinda like disguising myself as a non-hunter. Camo screams hunter and draws attention from people, especially in non-hunter urban areas. Maybe im paranoid but thats my plan.

Funny you should say that. When I see someone in red and black plaid it says hunter to me. It's all i've ever used. Started that way and will finish that way. I can also wear it all the time and not look like Rambo in camo. ;)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”