Pushing the limits

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

Pushing the limits

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:33 pm

Will this set up work? Would YOU try it?

I’m excited to try this set even though I’m not sure it’s going to work. If I had to guess I would say there’s a 50/50 chance I get busted on the draw, and I’m ok with that. The trail is only 10 yards from the tree, which is too close for comfort when you’re on the ground. Comfort doesn’t seem to get me anywhere in the whitetail woods. I don’t seem to learn as much if I play it safe.

This tree is in a nice little terrain funnel right next to bedding. I could set up 50 yards away where the nearest trail is a more comfortable distance, but the trails fork and they could take the wrong one. I’d rather be in the thick of the action and get busted than watch one pass by just out of range... but that’s just me. Keep in mind you still have a chance of getting busted drawing at 20 or 30 yards. That chance will always be there.

I have killed several times while thinking “Man... I don’t know if this is going to work!”. Whether you’re successful or not, pushing the limits pays dividends. That’s how you grow as a hunter.

So next time you have the opportunity to do something outside your comfort zone, GO FOR IT. In my opinion you have nothing to lose.

It might be setting up in a bean pole of a tree. Maybe you’re not comfortable being one stick up, or you’re uneasy about a natural ground set because you’ve never tried it. Maybe you don’t know if that “just off” wind is “just off” enough. ;) Or you don’t think you have what it takes to hang your stand 50 yards away from a bedded buck.

How do you know unless you try? I can guarantee Dan didn’t become the hunter he is today by only sticking to what he KNOWS will work...

tbunao
500 Club

Re: Pushing the limits

Unread postby tbunao » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:35 pm

Looks like an awesome set LD!

I find these kind of sets to be way more more exciting than a well covered and high up set.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:40 pm

Would I try it? 2 part answer for me!
If I discovered it in season as the place to be, then yes I would try (prob more ghillie suit style) I will take low odds of getting off a shot over no odds any day.

If I discovered the spot this time of year while post season scouting. There is no way I would sit that spot like that. I would add brush to the tree to conceal me and up my odds of getting off a shot. Pile some stuff up where I could get to the stand without being spotted. Would prob also block the current trails off about 50 yards away then take a yoyo and some roundup and make a new trails that swung around for a broadside shot at around 17 yards or so. To further swing things in my favor.

This is just part of the fun for me, having a buck come in an do exactly what I wanted him to. We all have a diff way to get our thrills it's just mine. Great find!
Last edited by Boogieman1 on Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:48 pm

Won't know if you don't try! I have a spot where a buck got past me last fall, and even though he was killed I went in and found his bed and will try a setup in there again this year. Only thing is the tree I need to be in is maybe 40 yards from the bed, which will definitely be pushing the limits for me. If I set up any farther back and he may angle out too far for a shot.
Bowfisher

Unread postby Bowfisher » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:54 pm

When I look back, I regret the times I wasn't aggressive enough. The times I was too aggressive, it either worked or I learned from it!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:07 pm

I would absolutely try that set up and have ground hunted spots just like that many times with plenty of exciting encounters. Thinking back just about every kill I had WAS NOT in a textbook set up where everything was perfect. If I look back and remember some spots or trees I killed a buck in I just shake my head in amazement that it actually worked. Most times those crazy set ups are just what’s needed. Thinking outside the box and doing what others won’t often results in success that the average hunter that never takes any chances will never experience.
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:30 pm

If the sun is behind you, that would be huge. I did a ground hunt like this last year and would likely even try to set up my stand 3 feet off of the ground (if covered visually by brush pile or by back lit sun). Now if the sunset direction was having me lit up like a Christmas tree and trying to shoot towards a glaring sunset, I would find a different place nearby.

I would not feel confident climbing high due to being seen from the bed or by making noise. That's just me. But heck yeah, I would try it, especially on a windy day, if that's what you're asking.

I look forward to seeing you make it happen!
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:03 am

One of my best hunts ever was a ground hunt in a situation like that. I had a good buck that I called walk like a doe as he used the same trail morning and evening to and from bedding. I managed to come to full draw at 3 yards without getting busted, however as I tracked him for the shot I knocked my arrow off the rest. That buck still never knew I was there. Ended up finally killing him 10 days later getting closer to his bedding area. In those days, I always hunted bedding areas not specific beds. To me that's made a huge difference in seeing older bucks vs any buck.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:10 am

Why not try it. Go for it brotha
Whats the worse gonna happen you get busted?
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:45 am

Ack wrote:Won't know if you don't try! I have a spot where a buck got past me last fall, and even though he was killed I went in and found his bed and will try a setup in there again this year. Only thing is the tree I need to be in is maybe 40 yards from the bed, which will definitely be pushing the limits for me. If I set up any farther back and he may angle out too far for a shot.

Sounds like we’re like minded in this situation. I’ve got a couple sets like that too. Giving up a trail makes me far more nervous than getting busted.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:03 am

Seems like you can use the tree to not get busted when you draw. Great setup.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:15 am

First off, I've been ground sitting in this late season over these short grass fields within the tall Cattails, looks alot like what you have pictured here. I am loving these sits! definitely going to be a big part of my hunting strategy next year.
I was able to come to full draw on a doe eight steps away. A doe walking by usually doesn't get my heart rate up, but it sure was beating hard being face to face with her. Might have a heart attack if it's a big buck! :think:
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:24 am

Do it!!!!!
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:08 am

If you can sneak in and setup without being spotted I think it could work really well! You gotta believe in your instincts and gotta believe in your setups! No risk, no reward!
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:10 am

Looks like a solid setup to me. Hunt it. I've noticed the deer in terrain like that barely clear the weeds so they have a visual disadvantage.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”