Moment of Truth

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Moment of Truth

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:53 am

Moment of Truth

When I was 14, a little over 20 years ago, it was my second year hunting with the bow. I was using a hand-me down bow set at 40 pounds. I can't even remember the brand. My Dad had me practicing every chance I could get. This was in the time of aluminum arrows. My fletching were purple and yellow with white nocks. Viking colors. I hated them! Anyway I was shooting straight and looking to get better than the year before because I had missed 3 deer prior. Shot right over each of their backs! However this year was different. I was a little more determined and ready!

It was some time in late October. All the leaves were gone from the trees. My Dad and I were setup on a small private piece of land in some maple hardwoods along the edge of some tag alders. A couple hours before dark I had a coyote come through. Thing was pretty cool to see, but I thought I'm not going to see anything now. Amazing how stealthy and quick those critters are in the woods.

About a hour and a half later I heard the unmistakable snapping of a branch. A deer had gotten out of it's bed and was headed towards me! I didn't realize it at the time but that deer probably was in it's bed the whole time I was in the stand. As the crunching of leaves began to get closer I got ready. I could see the antlers coming through the alders and it was a nice one! It was a really nice 8 point and he was coming right down the trail I needed him to. As he entered my shooting lane I drew my bow........fired away and saw my arrow penetrate his shoulder. He bounded off, I could hear the smacking of my arrow hitting the alders for a hundred yards or so and it just slowed down to a walk. I was waiting to hear for him to fall. But I didn't.

That night we couldn't find any blood and no deer. It rained that night so we headed home. We checked the next day but no luck. No deer. Odds are this one lived.

After 20 years I think I'm still chasing that moment of truth trying to correct what went wrong. I think that's why I try so hard.....

Babshaft
500 Club

Re: Moment of Truth

Unread postby Babshaft » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:09 am

That was my experience this year as well (8 pointer like you described). I was setup too high and it didn't pass through. The arrow looked high and back, but was still in the chest cavity as far as I could tell. I still can't believe that I can't find him. Followed blood over a km, and 3 of us spent 8 hours searching with a dog. I put in another 12 hours myself. I'm planning to head into there scouting this year and hope to at least find my arrow but my chances are slim. I almost switched from shooting a deer with a bow to a camera because of it. I found a few threads here about other guys having similar experiences and getting back on the horse. It convinced me to keep going, so here's hoping 2018 is the year and I don't find myself stuck on what happened last year.

It definitely has me trying harder than ever!
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:14 am

Babshaft wrote:That was my experience this year as well (8 pointer like you described). I was setup too high and it didn't pass through. The arrow looked high and back, but was still in the chest cavity as far as I could tell. I still can't believe that I can't find him. Followed blood over a km, and 3 of us spent 8 hours searching with a dog. I put in another 12 hours myself. I'm planning to head into there scouting this year and hope to at least find my arrow but my chances are slim. I almost switched from shooting a deer with a bow to a camera because of it. I found a few threads here about other guys having similar experiences and getting back on the horse. It convinced me to keep going, so here's hoping 2018 is the year and I don't find myself stuck on what happened last year.

Thanks for sharing! Yeah my experience was all my own doing. It was a slightly quartering to shot. Everything happened so fast. It would have been my first deer with the bow at the time and first buck overall. I thought I hit him right in the pump station but given as it all played out I think I hit him in the shoulder. In my mind I keep going back to this very hunt. What an experience for a 14 year old kid with his Dad!
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:38 am

NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:
Babshaft wrote:That was my experience this year as well (8 pointer like you described). I was setup too high and it didn't pass through. The arrow looked high and back, but was still in the chest cavity as far as I could tell. I still can't believe that I can't find him. Followed blood over a km, and 3 of us spent 8 hours searching with a dog. I put in another 12 hours myself. I'm planning to head into there scouting this year and hope to at least find my arrow but my chances are slim. I almost switched from shooting a deer with a bow to a camera because of it. I found a few threads here about other guys having similar experiences and getting back on the horse. It convinced me to keep going, so here's hoping 2018 is the year and I don't find myself stuck on what happened last year.

Thanks for sharing! Yeah my experience was all my own doing. It was a slightly quartering to shot. Everything happened so fast. It would have been my first deer with the bow at the time and first buck overall. I thought I hit him right in the pump station but given as it all played out I think I hit him in the shoulder. In my mind I keep going back to this very hunt. What an experience for a 14 year old kid with his Dad!

Really cool man! I’d love to get one with my old man right beside me. He refuses to climb a tree, so this year I’m hoping to find a few spots to use a natural ground blind. I’d love to do ghillie suits like the hunting public guys, but he’d look at me like I’m crazy haha.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”