Buck bedding no rubs

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Killtree

Buck bedding no rubs

Unread postby Killtree » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:37 pm

Anyone ever find a buck bed, but there were no rubs in the vicinity?
I found a bed on a little spur that juts off the lip of a bench on a real steep hill.
The side of the hill was clear cut several years ago so its still pretty thick cover.
There are no rub lines at all. Might be half a dozen rubs scattered around the whole hillside and that is it.

:violence-bowandarrow:
JoeRE
500 Club

Re: Buck bedding no rubs

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:21 am

Yes, that is not uncommon from what I have seen. Beds used old mature solitary bucks seem to often have little sign around them.

if it a big bed and in a great spot then its probably a buck bed. I know great spot is hard to evaluate...I would say if it makes a person scratch their head for a while on how to get close to it and set up, then its a great spot :lol: Often in the hills there is more than one bed in an area, but if they are all the same size and all in carefully placed locations next to a obstruction with that good visibility downwind I think thats a sign of a large buck's use. Clusters of smaller beds some of them out in the open tend to be does.

Another thing to do is look hard at all the trees right around the bed lots of times there will be tine marks even if the tree wasn't hit hard enough to be "rubbed."

Primary buck bedding areas that get used by a lot of different bucks seem to get the most torn up. But what you found can be a spot to find Mr. Big.
Bonehead

Unread postby Bonehead » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:51 am

I found this very thing the other day. A lone large bed with thick nasty cover behind it on a ridge looking down with good visibility. I did not find any rubs at all. I know it’s a buck bed because it meets all the criteria except for their being no rubs.
I will start looking closer to see if I can find some lighter tine marks in the future.
Zona1

Unread postby Zona1 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:03 am

I would like to echo Joe's comment on hill country bedding. Rarely is a buck using just one bed, think bedding area instead. If you found one there should be more.
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:08 am

JoeRE wrote:I would say if it makes a person scratch their head for a while on how to get close to it and set up, then its a great spot :lol:

Wow. I just had a total light bulb moment from your comment! Thanks!!
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:08 am

Usually if there is no rub it means there's less competition fighting over the bed. Possibly less bucks in the area
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:14 am

Killtree wrote:Anyone ever find a buck bed, but there were no rubs in the vicinity?
I found a bed on a little spur that juts off the lip of a bench on a real steep hill.
The side of the hill was clear cut several years ago so its still pretty thick cover.
There are no rub lines at all. Might be half a dozen rubs scattered around the whole hillside and that is it.
looked for historical rubs also you will find scaring on trees. then you will have a history as being a good bed. when were the rubs made maybe its a short term time specific bed? how much poo is in their is there old and new? how much hair is in the beds how long is the hair? what color is hair? is there doe bedding near buy? is it doe bedding that the bucks were Making display rubs in? what style rub were they thrashing a bush or making a sign post? how old is the cut maybe the bed just started up a couple years ago? are the rubs facing in and out? do the in rubs come in using thermals or wind?
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:41 am

All the time. Though i can usually find other sign nearby such as tine marks on trees and a licking branch.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:09 am

All three of my bucks from this past season there wasn't a single rub within 200 yards of the beds. If you were just walking through and were looking strictly for rubs to hunt by you'd keep right on walking past all the spots I killed my bucks in. The sign I found a distance away from those areas certainly pointed towards those bedding areas they just weren't super close to bedding.
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:10 am

Found a good one in a swamp the end of season just like you described, everything but rubs. In fact, no rubs for well over 100 yards that I could find although since it was season I did not thoroughly scout. I'll be back out there this week and plan to setup a cam in the area pending the current sign. This bed was wore down to the dirt with a ton of hair on a knob towards a point in a swamp, typical buck bedding setup. I aerial scouted this area and walked out scouting with the stand on my back. I saw a good set of tracks headed out to the tip of the point so I setup 100 yards back. Once I got into the tree I looked down 10 yards away to see the bed. Obviously I got much closer than I thought to but it simply gave me another confidence booster for my aerial scouting abilities. Can't wait to see what's using it.

Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:18 am

A lot of my best buck bedding areas are void of rubs. It seems to have a lot to do with competition. I have a low deer density in a lot of my areas and it often shows / or don't show, in the bedding areas.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:17 am

d_rek wrote:
JoeRE wrote:I would say if it makes a person scratch their head for a while on how to get close to it and set up, then its a great spot :lol:

Joe's comment is true no matter what terrain you're hunting.
Tater

Unread postby Tater » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:36 am

So glad to read this thread. Had a good scouting trip last week and found tons of beds, some of which were secluded and solitary, which i thought were probably buck beds, but found almost no rubs on the whole scouting trip. Maybe 4 or 5 and i walked about 4mi.
Interested in a custom tune . . . . .

Visit us at http://www.tatersarcherysolutions.com
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:19 am

Lockdown wrote:
d_rek wrote:

Joe's comment is true no matter what terrain you're hunting.

To be clear I am not making light of his comment! There was an area i scouted last year that I found a couple of beds in but couldn’t figure out how the heck I would even hunt it... if I would have had a cooperative wind I might have been able to but even then it would have been challenging! But it just made me think back to that spot and I had a little “aha!” moment.
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:41 am

flinginairos wrote:All three of my bucks from this past season there wasn't a single rub within 200 yards of the beds. If you were just walking through and were looking strictly for rubs to hunt by you'd keep right on walking past all the spots I killed my bucks in. The sign I found a distance away from those areas certainly pointed towards those bedding areas they just weren't super close to bedding.

What sign clued you in to those bedding areas? Was it just the size and location of the beds? Hair in them? Tracks? Just trying to put some puzzle pieces together for myself. Those are 3 beautiful bucks by the way.

Cheers

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”