Buck bedding no rubs

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Killtree

Re: Buck bedding no rubs

Unread postby Killtree » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:32 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:Yeah i think the ones with no rubs or very few are older age bucks.

That's what I think to.

:violence-bowandarrow:
Killtree

Unread postby Killtree » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:44 am

Lopedog699 wrote:Check all the points for beds where the blue circle is and all the thicket points also to the left chech all those points for beds stay away from the red circle with all the buck sign thats where everyone else will be.
Its a start.im sure it would be better for bedding if those points had soft transition at the ends. Im not teal savy on hill country but. From what ive learned its pretty much terrain features like that for buck bedding. Look for rubs leading into those points too. When they open up next year get your but in a tree in that point good luck brotha

Yeah, the crop field gets hammered pretty good. Hunting it is a waste of time.
All those points fingering out from the blue circle are big open woods with no cover.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:40 pm

Killtree wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
Killtree wrote:Anyone ever find a buck bed, but there were no rubs in the vicinity?
I found a bed on a little spur that juts off the lip of a bench on a real steep hill.
The side of the hill was clear cut several years ago so its still pretty thick cover.
There are no rub lines at all. Might be half a dozen rubs scattered around the whole hillside and that is it.
looked for historical rubs also you will find scaring on trees. then you will have a history as being a good bed. when were the rubs made maybe its a short term time specific bed? how much poo is in their is there old and new? how much hair is in the beds how long is the hair? what color is hair? is there doe bedding near buy? is it doe bedding that the bucks were Making display rubs in? what style rub were they thrashing a bush or making a sign post? how old is the cut maybe the bed just started up a couple years ago? are the rubs facing in and out? do the in rubs come in using thermals or wind?

There were maybe half a dozen historical rubs and half a dozen rubs from this year.
I think the 2 beds I found mainly start getting used around rut and how long they stay there depends on food sources.
I think the beds are still getting used right now because there were absolutely no acorns this year and the deer are really browsing cedar and other stuff hard in the scrub thicket where the does bed.
What rubs there are on the hillside face both directions where the bucks travel the benches.
The doe bedding area on the other hand is full of rub lines and every kind of rub imaginable. But its all night time travel.
The cut is probably 40 years old. Its plenty open enough to walk through, but still thick enough to provide good cover.
I have good luck in spots like that right in the very start of rut or even a weak before I would set up right between the two bedding areas and catch a big one going to does. we just had post on how to hunt the wind tunnel not long ago. I bet the bucks will run the top edge of their bed in the evening and morning they will j hook up and bed.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Killtree

Unread postby Killtree » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:23 am

DaveT1963 wrote:This is big where I have hunted. In fact I just covered that in a recent video on scouting. I personally believe beds are a bucks refuge - even from other mature bucks. So they tend not to be as aggressive in their actual bedding areas. Then when they step out into their core areas, especially where they mingle with other buck core areas, that's where you tend to find the aggressive rubs most are looking for.

I told a buddy of mine several years ago that I was starting to think that all the rubs and scrapes you find are mostly night sign and that maybe the big boys didn't advertise their bedding area all that much.

I have held on to that thought for a long time, but this is the first opportunity I have had to exploit it.
I killed a buck in 2009 that was 7 or 8 years old. I backtracked him to his bed and there really wasn't any rubs or much sign at all. Just a dirt bare bed full of hair.
That made me feel better about some things I had been thinking, but this is the first time I have had the opportunity to be a step ahead of a buck that doesn't seem to leave sign in his bedroom.
peteinvermont

Unread postby peteinvermont » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:41 am

This thread has some gold in it...thanks to all the contributors.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”