Early Season Snakes

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BKMississippi

Re: Early Season Snakes

Unread postby BKMississippi » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:42 am

Just remember that there are some good guys out there. A neighbor claims he took this photo in our neighborhood. I don't doubt him, I just didn't see it with my own two eyes.

Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:46 am

Just a friendly reminder, killed this copperhead yesterday in my driveway headed for the back yard. I normally don't have nothing against snakes and let them be. But in this case with it being poisonous and headed for my lil girls playhouse. I took no chances and whacked him with a billy club. Pretty snake around a 3 footer
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:21 pm

We thankfully don't have too much to worry about in the dangerous snake category... Looks like Michigan has just one venomous snake, the eastern Massasauga, a rattle snake.
But I have to say, I was blown away yesterday scouting, at the size of some of the snakes we have living here in the marsh. I never knew. One three foot long one, about as fat as a caulk tube, was just hanging out on a tree branch as I waded by, looking me in the face. That was a bit creepy! :?
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:40 am

Snakes can and rea out down this way all season. I have seen water moccasins in Dec & Jan of the temps get up.
Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:16 pm

BKMississippi wrote:Just remember that there are some good guys out there. A neighbor claims he took this photo in our neighborhood. I don't doubt him, I just didn't see it with my own two eyes.

God bless the Salt N Pepper King, I helped one of those good guys cross the road the other day. He was fiesty and struck at me a couple times as I prodded him across the road with my boots, But I am so happy to have him around my neighborhood, didn't want a car to take him out.
flgahunter114

Unread postby flgahunter114 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:25 am

King snakes are great to have around the house for that purpose. Unfortunately had my pup snake bit by a water moccasin a few weeks ago and we lost her. Down here in FL it is just about a year round snake factory, always have to keep your eyes on the ground.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:44 am

A couple from scouting last week. Temps in the 70's and overcast is a perfect day for timber rattlers to be out, especially with breeding season coming on now. I have never seen one during any hunting season, but I am sure they are out there. Very cool to see, and was able to move the one out of the road before someone hit it. I don't ever kill them, but will move them if close to my house.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:57 am

Evanszach7 wrote:Copperheads will put off a cucumber odor if you’re close and they know you’re coming.

People never believe me when I say this, but I've never seen a copperhead and not smelled cucumbers. Here in Northeast Tennessee, I rarely see snakes when I'm out scouting or hunting, and the vast majority of the ones I do see are non venomous. I know it only takes one, but I really don't worry about it beyond keeping my eyes open and giving downed logs a couple taps with my boot before I step over them.

A couple of years ago, I was slipping into a set before daylight and noticed a little branch I hadn't trimmed when I prepped the spot. I reached out to grab it with one hand and prune it back, and realized I had my hand wrapped around a small snake. I don't know what it was, probably a garter snake (it was dark), but it freaked me out. Every time I get close to a even a non venomous snake, I think it takes another week off my life.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:01 am

Haven’t seen many recently though had a 2-3 foot long copperhead tag the back of my boot two weeks ago after I stepped over him.

Was normal hardwoods no logs or brush within 20 feet of him.

Thanks to my buddy 410 the copperhead will not be bothering anyone else.

So far this year I been lucky I haven’t ran into many snakes compared to previous years.

With snake mating season about to start more are going to be out the next several weeks.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Grizzle

Unread postby Grizzle » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:27 pm

Just searched this topic because this will be my first season that ill be planning on hunting the marsh BEAST style in early season. How do you southern fellas duck walk the cotton tails and watch for snakes?
Grizzle

Unread postby Grizzle » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:26 am

Just searched this topic because this will be my first season that ill be planning on hunting the marsh BEAST style in early season. How do you southern fellas duck walk the cotton tails and watch for snakes?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”