How has your hunting success changed since HB?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Re: How has your hunting success changed since HB?

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:17 pm

Bowhunter4life wrote:Dan Infalt definitely changed the game for me. I found him in a article while reading a bow hunting magizine. After reading the article I searched for more on him and then found the beast. I believe that was 2013 and since have been on the site.

I was already on track to bedding and through all my years of trial and error I learned to get in closer to the bedding. There was so much more to it tho and this site opened up my eyes to that. I read and read on here through some of the all time great threads and things just really started to fall in place for me. It finally made sense in other words why the bucks were in certain areas at certain times. The number of encounters with mature deer since joining has gone up considerably! I killed the biggest deer of my life and that was a direct result of tactics shared here.

For any of the new guys here, I’d say just read through here and go apply it. Don’t look for shortcuts and secrets cause you won’t find that here. What you will tho is a wealth of knowledge from deer hunters like no others out there if your a DIY type hunter.

i couldnt agree more bro happened pretty much the same way for me but i used to be a bait pile hunter and man am i glad those days are over
2 days with dan was just unreal eye opener and im hooked on bedding i just got into it and got my mobile gear a little too late to beast mode this year 'i did do one hunt of a point and had hornless buck bed from me bout 20 yards from me off a point so im sold and forever a beast thnks to dan and all of you guys

Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:08 am

I'm still learning and working on these tactics. But since I started I have been on deer more consistent then years past especially on public land.
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
GoInLight

Unread postby GoInLight » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:09 pm

I had a great season this year because of the things I've learned on the beast. The main two things I've changed in my hunting are, everything I think about with whitetails relates back to bedding and I'm completely mobile.

I walked on a piece of ground with my stand on my back. I scouted as I went, found hot sign climbed and killed a nice 4 year old 8 point off a water oak close to bedding. My hunting will never be the same. I've got a lot to learn but I think I'm on my way to consistent success.
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:41 am

Until I found the beast I passed many bucks but didn’t find one I wanted to shoot until 2012 or have a good chance until then, He’s on the wall now. When I found the beast after that buck, I have put 4 more P/Y bucks on the wall
JusPassinThru

Unread postby JusPassinThru » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:34 pm

This was my first year beast hunting so my sample size is small, but I went from randomly rotating from ladder stand to ladder stand to being 95% mobile and always having a purpose to where I'm setup. I use to rarely scout and when I did I was typically wandering around the woods looking for heavy trails. Now I scout all the time, have identified many primary buck beds on different pieces of public/private. Beds now stick out to me and I can typically guess where a bed will be before I walk up to that location. I had more mature buck encounters this year than I have ever had before. Saw 10+ bucks that I consider a shooter (4 on one sit during the rut following a hot doe) and had the opportunity to shoot two, I was only able to recover one. Still have a lot to learn.
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:58 pm

I dropped 20 pounds because now I have to walk a lot further to get to my spot... so there's that.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:49 pm

Bowhunter4life wrote:Dan Infalt definitely changed the game for me. I found him in a article while reading a bow hunting magizine. After reading the article I searched for more on him and then found the beast. I believe that was 2013 and since have been on the site.

I was already on track to bedding and through all my years of trial and error I learned to get in closer to the bedding. There was so much more to it tho and this site opened up my eyes to that. I read and read on here through some of the all time great threads and things just really started to fall in place for me. It finally made sense in other words why the bucks were in certain areas at certain times. The number of encounters with mature deer since joining has gone up considerably! I killed the biggest deer of my life and that was a direct result of tactics shared here.

For any of the new guys here, I’d say just read through here and go apply it. Don’t look for shortcuts and secrets cause you won’t find that here. What you will tho is a wealth of knowledge from deer hunters like no others out there if your a DIY type hunter.

My journey was has been similar. I was bed hunting before I came here. Like anything else, there is always more to learn. You start listening to guys who are super successful, you really can start to pickup tips ...get ideas that will help you get better.

My main reason for joining in 2015? #1 I wanted to talk about bedding. Most guys knew about it...talked about it in a general sense. But no one really dug into the reasons why, no one talked specifics. There had to be more to it than theres a thicket, deer bed there. #2 I wanted to talk shop with guys who really were GOOD at this game. You start spending time around guys better at something than you, you will improve.

You might be doing 99 things out of 100 right. But the 1 thing you are doing wrong may be the deal breaker. I used to scoff at the guys who said your scouting should be all done preseason. Then before I came here, I started to put the pieces together that all the heavy lifting really needed to be done before the season. Then, showing up here, 100% of all the successful bowhunters here, killing bucks early season do all there prep work / home work preseason, post season.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:05 pm

Short sample size as this was my first beast season. In that year I wouldn't say my success changed but my overall enjoyment took a turn for the better. I liked hearing everyone else's stories and seeing pics of the kills. I tuned in daily to the live from the field to see what was happening. Also, feel in that time my whitetail IQ went up and I grew as a hunter.

Due I apply everything I learn here? No, I pick and choose what works for me. I've been at this game long enough to know my strengths and my weaknesses. I try to limit my weakness and lean on my strengths.

Example: Some hunters can move like a cat and get relitively close to a bedded buck. I do not fall into this category! I'm more a Hereford steer type hunter. With this weakness I find myself better off backing off and relying on my strength. Patience...

I also learned a lot about different types of hunting areas and how bucks use them. I took all that knowledge and went and located me a swamp and a marsh to take a crack at this coming season. Without being here, I would have never thought to seek those spots out.

I like the real world aspect of the site. Most other sites idea of teaching is how to build a tower blind, or set up a food plot buffet and how to run em in a corner on high fence ranches. I don't relate to none of that stuff and don't think the average guy does eithier. That's what makes this place great.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”