Where do you draw the line?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Re: Where do you draw the line?

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:29 pm

Emrah wrote:Trail cams are iffy for me as far as fair chase goes. Cell cams definitely violate that. Others for me include ozonics, bow mounted auto-ranging range finders, drones and crossbows in the archery season.

Yes, I get the irony of my statement considering I use google maps and drive a motorized vehicle (car) to get to my hunting spot.

Emrah

Crossbows? Really?

Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:00 am

I draw the line when I’m not having fun. I don’t run cams cause right now I don’t see tons of enjoyment in doing so. I sit on my phone while on stand, text my girlfriend, do some school work or whatever I need to do.

I still have success doing this stuff. Ask yourself if you are truly having fun. If you aren’t, then maybe you crossed the line. If you have a problem with what someone else does, maybe you need to realize that they are having fun out hunting and that’s all that matters.

It’s 2018. Technology has been around for a long time and it’s only improving in its ability. Love it or hate it, if it’s legal, it will be used. Part of hunting public land. Everybody plays under the same rules regardless of what someone views as ethical and unethical.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Emrah

Unread postby Emrah » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:39 am

Lopedog699 wrote:
Emrah wrote:Trail cams are iffy for me as far as fair chase goes. Cell cams definitely violate that. Others for me include ozonics, bow mounted auto-ranging range finders, drones and crossbows in the archery season.

Yes, I get the irony of my statement considering I use google maps and drive a motorized vehicle (car) to get to my hunting spot.

Emrah

Crossbows? Really?

Yep. In the archery season. Not trying to open a can of worms but it's a sore spot for me.

Emrah
OldMtnMan

Unread postby OldMtnMan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:41 am

I may have been misunderstood. I'm kind of blunt in my opinions and get right to the point. It could be from being an old fart. It seems as I get older the more honest I get about my opinions.

With that said I wasn't saying if you use gadgets you're not a hunter/woodsman. I guess what I was trying to say is they aren't really necessary if you choose to do it the old way. I have a friend who uses every gadget known to man in his hunting. I rag on him about it and he calls me Jerimiah Johnson, but we do it all in fun and are great friends.

I know youngsters who are just getting into hunting and think they have to have all the latest gear. I try and convince them to learn to hunt the primitive way first and add the modern gadgets later. Then they have a backup. I asked one of them.......what would you do if you were 5 miles into deep timber and your GPS stopped working? How would you get back to the truck? They never have an answer.

Anyway, keep in mind when you read my posts. I'm just giving my opinion or explaining how I do it. I'm not saying my way is the only way and you should copy me. That's the last thing i'd ever mean to say.

Peace bros.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:03 am

For me I don’t have a line that I draw. I use my smart phone, apps, and trail cameras. However I’m thinking I’m over the phase of the hunter who thinks he needs all the latest and greatest gadgets to be successful in the woods. I’ve never been one to be duped by gimmicks but have been open minded to things that make hunting more convenient and enjoyable. For example a bow holder. It’s one of those things that makes life a little easier in the tree. But you don’t necessarily need it.

Going forward I’m evaluating my process on trying to be more of a minimalist and take the gear I need to achieve my goals. I’m not worried about the next guy, but only myself.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:55 am

Whatever satisfies you within legal means.

I guess if you hunt to impress others, then modify that to whatever is within their bounds of satisfaction.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:50 am

Lots of great points...didn't want to start an argument over "ethics". My main point is what I'm finding as a learning bow, Beast style hunter, is I basically carry around a five gallon bucket w/ enough room to fill it with tools I need to be successful. Too much stuff and I have a mess. I, myself have to stay basic, others maybe not. This realization was huge to me, also a big relief :lol: .Just wondered if I was just a freak :lol: .And remember, we all have differing opinions :handgestures-thumbup:
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:56 pm

OldMtnMan wrote:I enjoy being as primitive as I can. I use nothing modern at all. I hunt like a mountain man would hunt around 1840. I grab my old Hawken and the hunting bag which has all I need to shoot the gun, a couple of knives, a snack, and go hunting. No maps, compass etc.

I learn an area to hunt by repetition. I cut small notches on branches to mark my trail. My hunting method is tracking and still hunting. I try to slowly sneak up on game. Like a cat would hunt. It's also like my Lakota friend hunts. So, I guess I hunt like an Indian.

I feel a good hunter is also a good woodsman. Gadgets are never needed. I'm surprised i'm on a computer typing this. I must be getting old. I'm only 75. Lot's of life left. Lot's of bear, elk, and deer left to kill. Never give up boys. Just keep moving forward.

you set a fine example for the younger crowds I too believe the best knowledge acquired is from good old school tracking and being able to see every fine detail and understanding it is the best tool to be successful. my father was taught how to hunt and trap buy a Indian named john lone wolf many years ago. and as a child I tried to take in everything my father told me like a sponge. and up until 2 years ago I never owned a computer. with all the crazy gadgets I actually got a laptop just for google earth and map sights. I guess I'm a healthy blend of new and old now.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:39 pm

I draw the line on making Hunting a second job. I use computer mapping and gps because I enjoy it. I like to study maps and then go to the actual places and check them out. I do it because it’s fun. I already work a very stressful job and hunting is a hobby to me not a second job.

Using some of these tools helps me to decompress and have more fun but I learned and can still do it the old fashioned way. I do think it’s important that new hunters especially young ones learn the basic woodsmanship and skills.
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:41 am

OldMtnMan wrote:I may have been misunderstood. I'm kind of blunt in my opinions and get right to the point. It could be from being an old fart. It seems as I get older the more honest I get about my opinions.

With that said I wasn't saying if you use gadgets you're not a hunter/woodsman. I guess what I was trying to say is they aren't really necessary if you choose to do it the old way. I have a friend who uses every gadget known to man in his hunting. I rag on him about it and he calls me Jerimiah Johnson, but we do it all in fun and are great friends.

I know youngsters who are just getting into hunting and think they have to have all the latest gear. I try and convince them to learn to hunt the primitive way first and add the modern gadgets later. Then they have a backup. I asked one of them.......what would you do if you were 5 miles into deep timber and your GPS stopped working? How would you get back to the truck? They never have an answer.

Anyway, keep in mind when you read my posts. I'm just giving my opinion or explaining how I do it. I'm not saying my way is the only way and you should copy me. That's the last thing i'd ever mean to say.

Peace bros.

Took no offense to your statements my brotha
I told my boy when he is ready to hunt
That i would really prefer him to take his first deer with a bow rather than a crossbow. And my reasoning to that is this. With a bow ( me ) im not shooting over 30 yards max with a crossbow. It doubles that with accuracy too
With that said imo bow hunting gets the deer so close there is almost no room for error. And its how i started. With a crossbow which i use now only until i get my shoulder better and talk momma ( my wife ) into letting me buy a new bow. Lol. There is some room for error cause the deer could be farther out away from you
I want my boy or my girls who all have hunting liscences to get that rush or feeling of that buck or even doe walking right under you or 5-10 yards out. And see how hard it is to concentrate draw your bow aim make a clean good shot watch the deer where it goes etc
Then i would let them switch to xbow. But if they are like me and like to get ghem close. Well at least my boy. He gonna stay with the bow. He’s like me he love a challenge
So no offense taken bro. God bless be safe stay positive
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:42 am

creepingdeth wrote:Lots of great points...didn't want to start an argument over "ethics". My main point is what I'm finding as a learning bow, Beast style hunter, is I basically carry around a five gallon bucket w/ enough room to fill it with tools I need to be successful. Too much stuff and I have a mess. I, myself have to stay basic, others maybe not. This realization was huge to me, also a big relief :lol: .Just wondered if I was just a freak :lol: .And remember, we all have differing opinions :handgestures-thumbup:

Well said brotha
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:05 am

OldMtnMan wrote:I may have been misunderstood. I'm kind of blunt in my opinions and get right to the point. It could be from being an old fart. It seems as I get older the more honest I get about my opinions.

Peace bros.

Cool i actually agree with you my man. People thatuse gadgets do need to know the core skills. And many don't, that's a recipe for disaster!!
Make It Happen
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:23 am

creepingdeth wrote:Lots of great points...didn't want to start an argument over "ethics". My main point is what I'm finding as a learning bow, Beast style hunter, is I basically carry around a five gallon bucket w/ enough room to fill it with tools I need to be successful. Too much stuff and I have a mess. I, myself have to stay basic, others maybe not. This realization was huge to me, also a big relief :lol: .Just wondered if I was just a freak :lol: .And remember, we all have differing opinions :handgestures-thumbup:

I find it easier to keep things basic. But I also use technology more than I probably should :lol: The important thing to know the limits of your gear, and expect things to fail. What I carry varies by property. Some places up north I carry matches and a lighter because it would be very easy to get lost in the dark if stuff fails on me. Other places it is impossible to get lost. Why? Any direction takes me to a road or a river that I can follow back to the truck.

I'm learning as I go just like you. And I see some of the stuff others do and know I have to take my time getting there. I didn't bench press 300lbs day one in the weight room. Took me a lot of hours to get there. Hunting is the same way. You can't get this stuff over night

As far as the crossbow debate, all I'm going to say is a couple of the best hunters on this site use crossbows. Nobody has to like it, but I very well respect it
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”