How Many Use Rock Climbing Harness?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

brancher147
500 Club

How Many Use Rock Climbing Harness?

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:29 pm

Just curious how many folks that stay mobile with their treestand setups use a rock climbing harness instead of traditional hunting harness. I switched a couple years ago and it has definitely helped me be safer and more mobile, and way more comfortable. I can use a linemans rope setup to stay attached going up and down, then use the same rope to secure me to the tree once in the stand. And it makes setting up a hang on stand much easier also. I use the black diamond vario speed harness and a rope with two carabiners and a prussic knot attached to the front clip on harness, then once in the stand I attach safety rope to a strap (that I carry separately) above the stand. But I am sure someone has a better setup than how I do it, and I am always interested to hear new ideas.

What harness do you prefer, and how do you set it up?

Some do. Some don't. I just might...
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Re: How Many Use Rock Climbing Harness?

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:26 am

More than a few of us use them. I bet you could find a thread or two with a search.

I really appreciate the usefulness and how it is an important part in my hunting setup. I forgot it once this season, great lesson! Won't let that happen again.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:31 am

I use the black diamond alpine bod. Very basic setup, basically the same as yours except i added klemheist knots instead of prusik knots and i also added a ropeman ascender.

The lineman belt is made of tubular webbing.

Would like to try a different harness, since the alpine bod is a bit tough on the boys at times.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:18 am

Me Black Diamond harness
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
sureshotscott
500 Club

Unread postby sureshotscott » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:31 am

Most of the time I hunt from a Kestrel saddle so don't need a harness, but when I do use this:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/gear/Essent ... 12265.html

The OEM harnesses that ship with most tree stands are terrible, and the aftermarket ones from HSS etc aren't much better.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:36 am

Petzl corax with tubular webbing for a lineman’s belt attachment.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
BKMississippi

Unread postby BKMississippi » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:51 am

I've been thinking about it but I still have a few questions. So if I buy one of the black diamonds, for climbing I'll just hook a lineman'a belt to one side of the belt then around the tree then to the other side? And when I get to the top I'll put the rope around the tree then attached to the front of the belt? If so does the rope being in front get the way of shooting? It's likely I'm way off so forgive me if I missed the idea completely.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:11 am

I have been using one for the last couple years, I would never go back! Seeing you are tethered around your waist the rope is never in your way for shooting.

These threads below answer almost any question you could have.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40778&hilit=rock+harness

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=41591&hilit=rock+climbing+harness
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:23 am

I switch back and forth. Sometimes it’s easier to slide on a regular harness if I am going in dark.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Bowonly

Unread postby Bowonly » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:17 am

I've been thinking hard about trying one.

My main concern is the adjustment range for layering clothes. We hunt from early September to late January so temperature varies a lot.

Also seems like none of them come with linemans loops standard?
Take someone hunting or fishing.
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:24 am

Bowonly wrote:I've been thinking hard about trying one.

My main concern is the adjustment range for layering clothes. We hunt from early September to late January so temperature varies a lot.

You’re right about the linesman’s belt. Tubular webbing through a weight rated haul loop works, but even better is a harness with weight rated gear loops. If you fall and it’s just in the rear haul loop you won’t hit the ground but you’ll be mighty uncomfortable.

Bowhunter15 (diysportsman) has an awesome video of adding a webbing linesman’s belt to a rock climbing harness. As for adding layers, you’re right it sucks but better than a full body. Add your lower layer before you climb and you’ll always be hooked in.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:56 pm

Babshaft wrote:
Bowonly wrote:I've been thinking hard about trying one.

You’re right about the linesman’s belt. Tubular webbing through a weight rated haul loop works, but even better is a harness with weight rated gear loops. If you fall and it’s just in the rear haul loop you won’t hit the ground but you’ll be mighty uncomfortable.

Bowhunter15 (diysportsman) has an awesome video of adding a webbing linesman’s belt to a rock climbing harness. As for adding layers, you’re right it sucks but better than a full body. Add your lower layer before you climb and you’ll always be hooked in.

Check out the Metolius All Around. It has load bearing gear loops that should work as linesman loops. I think every loop on this harness is load bearing. They have several other models too
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:34 am

tgreeno wrote:I have been using one for the last couple years, I would never go back! Seeing you are tethered around your waist the rope is never in your way for shooting.

These threads below answer almost any question you could have.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40778&hilit=rock+harness

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=41591&hilit=rock+climbing+harness

Thanks. I will check those out. I tried a search on here before I posted but did not come up with much.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:58 am

checkerfred wrote:
Check out the Metolius All Around. It has load bearing gear loops that should work as linesman loops. I think every loop on this harness is load bearing. They have several other models too

Thanks man, you’re a beauty! Great harness. I wish it had quick attach buckles. I find my current harness noisy and would rather put my harness on at the tree so I don’t have to walk with my bibs on.
ZSV
500 Club

Unread postby ZSV » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:40 am

I’ve been using one for 2 seasons now and I love it. I have a mammut. I don’t remember what model I have, but it was about $50.

I modeled mine after cbigbear’s. Here’s the thread I used.

viewtopic.php?t=20108
“I only live once, I will not die a coward “ - Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”