How Many Use Rock Climbing Harness?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Re: How Many Use Rock Climbing Harness?

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:03 am

I have all three of the major styles right now: 1) HSS full body harness 2) Rock Harness 3) Aero Hunter kestrel.

The HSS is way better than many of the cheap harnesses included with stands. It's light, comfortable, and easy to put on. Being TMA approved, it sometimes is a necessity over the RC harness for various controlled hunts. Upper body mobility won't be as good as RC harness. In order to add or remove layers, you need to attach the lineman's belt first in order to remain attached while you thread the HSS strap through your next jacket.

The rock harness is better than the HSS when comparing freedom of movement in the stand, ability to add or remove upper body layers while staying attached, and ability to use alternate climbing methods (One stick method, arborist techniques, etc). If you fall, you end up facing the tree. It's worse in that it doesn't have dedicated lineman's loops stock, and harder to go to the bathroom with the belay loop. DIY lineman's belts and rated gear loops will likely keep you from going to the ground, but the RC manufacturer's will never make that safety claim as it's not the intended use of holding static loads.

The Kestrel is better than the RC harness in that it has dedicated lineman's loops and molle loops for adding gear. Without a belay loop, it's easier to use the restroom but also mean's no one stick method or similar alternate techniques. Granted, you obviously wouldn't use the Kestrel when hunting out of a hang on. You'd just hunt out of the Kestrel. Comparing it to the HSS is then apples to oranges.

A couple of other notes regarding tether and lineman's belts... For a tether being used in a hang-on (RC harness or full body), I wouldn't recommend the Ropeman ascender. It's not designed for shock loads and has been shown to strip the outer sheath of the rope during shock loads. So I'd recommend prusik/klemheist for that use. Ropeman would be fine for saddle tether though since there's no shock loading. Also, for years I used the same rope as both a lineman's and tether. I'd swap it when climbing into the stand. I've gotten really nitpicked on some of my videos since you're unprotected during the time spent transferring the belt from lineman's use to tether use. Just something to be aware of.

Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:48 am

bowhunter15 wrote:I have all three of the major styles right now: 1) HSS full body harness 2) Rock Harness 3) Aero Hunter kestrel.

The HSS is way better than many of the cheap harnesses included with stands. It's light, comfortable, and easy to put on. Being TMA approved, it sometimes is a necessity over the RC harness for various controlled hunts. Upper body mobility won't be as good as RC harness. In order to add or remove layers, you need to attach the lineman's belt first in order to remain attached while you thread the HSS strap through your next jacket.

The rock harness is better than the HSS when comparing freedom of movement in the stand, ability to add or remove upper body layers while staying attached, and ability to use alternate climbing methods (One stick method, arborist techniques, etc). If you fall, you end up facing the tree. It's worse in that it doesn't have dedicated lineman's loops stock, and harder to go to the bathroom with the belay loop. DIY lineman's belts and rated gear loops will likely keep you from going to the ground, but the RC manufacturer's will never make that safety claim as it's not the intended use of holding static loads.

The Kestrel is better than the RC harness in that it has dedicated lineman's loops and molle loops for adding gear. Without a belay loop, it's easier to use the restroom but also mean's no one stick method or similar alternate techniques. Granted, you obviously wouldn't use the Kestrel when hunting out of a hang on. You'd just hunt out of the Kestrel. Comparing it to the HSS is then apples to oranges.

A couple of other notes regarding tether and lineman's belts... For a tether being used in a hang-on (RC harness or full body), I wouldn't recommend the Ropeman ascender. It's not designed for shock loads and has been shown to strip the outer sheath of the rope during shock loads. So I'd recommend prusik/klemheist for that use. Ropeman would be fine for saddle tether though since there's no shock loading. Also, for years I used the same rope as both a lineman's and tether. I'd swap it when climbing into the stand. I've gotten really nitpicked on some of my videos since you're unprotected during the time spent transferring the belt from lineman's use to tether use. Just something to be aware of.

Awesome stuff. A quick question, and I don't mean to put you on the spot so ignore these questions if I am, but any preference with the kestrel or RCH/sitdrag for a saddle setup? Are you finding situations where you'd prefer one over the other? Any plans on doing a kestrel video?

Thanks.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:04 am

I've been using a RC harness for 7 or 8 years now. I use the BD Alpine bod. I have a webbing linemans belt running through the rear gear loop.

I know mine is safe. I've tested it. There are definitely some safety precautions I feel like get glossed over on hunting forums as it relates to treestand applications.

If you don't know what fall factor is and how to minimize it, you shouldn't be using them.

You need to know all your equipment ratings and proper uses. Your system is only as strong as the weakest link.

Lineman's belts are not meant to be a fall restraint.

Layering isn't much of an issue with mine. I usually wear it over my pants then add insulating layers over, threading the tether through the fly.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
BAS4109

Unread postby BAS4109 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:34 pm

I have been using a black diamond harness for the past 7 years. I love it.
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:43 am

Babshaft wrote:
bowhunter15 wrote:I have all three of the major styles right now: 1) HSS full body harness 2) Rock Harness 3) Aero Hunter kestrel.

Awesome stuff. A quick question, and I don't mean to put you on the spot so ignore these questions if I am, but any preference with the kestrel or RCH/sitdrag for a saddle setup? Are you finding situations where you'd prefer one over the other? Any plans on doing a kestrel video?

Thanks.

I thought that initially the SitDrag setup had a faster time to optimum comfort, just because you can adjust the SitDrag independently and set it wherever it needs to go on your hips. The downside of that is that if you have any slack or do extreme hip pivoting if feels like you'll slide out of the SitDrag, at least for me.

The Kestrel took a few hunts to nail down where the best comfort was. It ended up being lower on the hips. It has accessory loops and lineman's loops. I've used them for bow pull ropes, dump pouches, daisy chained tether, etc. When I used a dump pouch with RC harness, it would always get smooshed underneath the SitDrag. And since the Kestrel is one piece, it never feels loose or like it'll slide off. (A SitDrag with a sewn in belt and no RC harness would be more similar to the kestrel feel). Kestrel is easier to go to the bathroom with. So for me, the only reason to choose a SitDrag/RC over a Kestrel would be if you were set on using the belay loop for a specific climbing method.
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:45 am

bowhunter15 wrote:I thought that initially the SitDrag setup had a faster time to optimum comfort, just because you can adjust the SitDrag independently and set it wherever it needs to go on your hips. The downside of that is that if you have any slack or do extreme hip pivoting if feels like you'll slide out of the SitDrag, at least for me.

The Kestrel took a few hunts to nail down where the best comfort was. It ended up being lower on the hips. It has accessory loops and lineman's loops. I've used them for bow pull ropes, dump pouches, daisy chained tether, etc. When I used a dump pouch with RC harness, it would always get smooshed underneath the SitDrag. And since the Kestrel is one piece, it never feels loose or like it'll slide off. (A SitDrag with a sewn in belt and no RC harness would be more similar to the kestrel feel). Kestrel is easier to go to the bathroom with. So for me, the only reason to choose a SitDrag/RC over a Kestrel would be if you were set on using the belay loop for a specific climbing method.

Thanks very much for the reply, I really appreciate it!
Peter

Unread postby Peter » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:41 am

I use a rock climbing harness with a Hunters Safety Systems Lifeline. I put the lifeline around the tree when I'm still on the ground, and move it up the tree as I put sticks up. Slide the prussik knot down the rope to go back down and get the stand, slide the knot back up as I go back up the tree, and stay connected the entire time I'm off the ground. In cold weather the zip on my Gander Mountain bibs can zip up from the bottom to leave an opening for the tie in. Works great.
JSnake

Unread postby JSnake » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:22 am

I use a Black Diamond momentum harness. The rear haul loop is rated (Black Diamond haul loop specs).

I referenced this how-to video to add loops for my linemans rope:

DIY harness modification

I run a lineman rope with an ascender similar to diysportsman.

Just finished my first full season using the set up and I'll never go back to the traditional style hunting safety harness.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”