Size of deer pellets

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

<DK>
500 Club

Re: Size of deer pellets

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:06 am

Dewey wrote:
Darkknight54 wrote:
Dewey wrote:I biggest I have found by far was literally the exact size of a Coke can (diameter and length). The droppings pressed into the log were all 1” +.

It was from a buck I saw late season that was killed the following year and confirmed at 183”. The day after I saw him I snuck into his bed and found the area littered with his big droppings. He had obviously been bedding there in the cattails for quite some time. Wish I had pics but didn’t take them on everything back then like I do now.

What would you guess he weighed though?

No idea. Never heard the weight but he was obviously a heavy mature buck.

I was just curious bc MaineBH showed me some huge bucks from his area. Those bulked up, harsh winter bucks are massive and I can totally believe one could leave a soda can size behind.

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:28 am

Darkknight54 wrote:
SidewayZ wrote:
Darkknight54 wrote:Since this is a crappy thread anyways :D

Just for reference, this was left by the biggest buck iv tracked and biggest beds iv found to yet. Crop buck. The phone case is 7" L x 4" W

Wozers, you hit the hat trick DK. Thats the kinda stuff dreams are made off, lol :D

Ha! Yeah he haunted me for sure. Only got 1 crack at the spot and it wasnt a good one. Well see this year... You wouldnt believe his setup either. Probably the one spot NO ONE would go looking for a trophy buck.

the classic holy cow bed spot!
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:39 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
Darkknight54 wrote:
SidewayZ wrote:
Darkknight54 wrote:Since this is a crappy thread anyways :D

Just for reference, this was left by the biggest buck iv tracked and biggest beds iv found to yet. Crop buck. The phone case is 7" L x 4" W

Wozers, you hit the hat trick DK. Thats the kinda stuff dreams are made off, lol :D

Ha! Yeah he haunted me for sure. Only got 1 crack at the spot and it wasnt a good one. Well see this year... You wouldnt believe his setup either. Probably the one spot NO ONE would go looking for a trophy buck.

the classic holy cow bed spot!
ImageImageImageImageRight in the last place you would ever look :shhh: :doh:
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:10 am

I thought some would enjoy seeing "Coke Can" droppings from a monster of a buck. These droppings are as big as you can probably ever hope to see. Some of the "can" is under water.

The average pellet length is an inch and a half. I believe this buck is easily 300 pounds. These droppings are just off of a small hump of dry ground where the buck sometimes beds. I found these droppings in a couple of other swamp beds as well but they were older.

The takeaway is that this is an area with very high pressure. The mature buck is bedding on little humps of dry ground surrounded by water.

The Hunting Beast swamp and marsh dvd's are excellent for learning more about this type of bedding.

Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:16 am

I should add that the buck's beds are not visible on any aerial view and there is no topo map indicator- the humps stick a few inches above the water.

On the ground scouting was the only way to discover this ghost.
Killtree

Unread postby Killtree » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:39 am

SidewayZ wrote:Here are some droppings I found last week that grabbed my attention. Much larger than normal. I think they are from a 2 year old 8 points about 175lbs. This deer is primarily in a cedar swamp near my house.

3/4"

I got a feeling those are from something bigger than 175 lbs. live weight.
:violence-bowandarrow:
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:58 am

Singing Bridge wrote:I thought some would enjoy seeing "Coke Can" droppings from a monster of a buck. These droppings are as big as you can probably ever hope to see. Some of the "can" is under water.

The average pellet length is an inch and a half. I believe this buck is easily 300 pounds. These droppings are just off of a small hump of dry ground where the buck sometimes beds. I found these droppings in a couple of other swamp beds as well but they were older.

The takeaway is that this is an area with very high pressure. The mature buck is bedding on little humps of dry ground surrounded by water.

The Hunting Beast swamp and marsh dvd's are excellent for learning more about this type of bedding.

I think it's your dump.
You crack me up, blaming it on a deer - ha-ha - whats next :whistle:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:06 pm

:lol: Ed, you are giving me ideas! Maybe pay per view video of me going out to look at 'em?

I May have to consult magic on that one!
Killtree

Unread postby Killtree » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:11 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:I should add that the buck's beds are not visible on any aerial view and there is no topo map indicator- the humps stick a few inches above the water.

On the ground scouting was the only way to discover this ghost.

His beds didn't show up on any aerial views, but his terds did.
:violence-bowandarrow:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:13 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:I thought some would enjoy seeing "Coke Can" droppings from a monster of a buck. These droppings are as big as you can probably ever hope to see. Some of the "can" is under water.

Now this is what I was hoping to see. 8-)

When I see droppings like that there is no doubt in my mind it was left by the largest or oldest buck in the area. I’m sure it’s not always the case and don’t doubt some big old bucks leave small droppings too but I have never seen a small buck leave a pile like that. Over and over it has been confirmed with my own eyes matching the huge droppings to a particular large buck.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:20 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:I think it's your dump.
You crack me up, blaming it on a deer - ha-ha - whats next :whistle:

Ha Ha!! Funniest thing I've seen all day!......until I read this..
Killtree wrote:His beds didn't show up on any aerial views, but his terds did.

That is CLASSIC! Thanks for making my day boys!!
SidewayZ
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SidewayZ32

Unread postby SidewayZ » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:13 pm

Killtree wrote:
SidewayZ wrote:Here are some droppings I found last week that grabbed my attention. Much larger than normal. I think they are from a 2 year old 8 points about 175lbs. This deer is primarily in a cedar swamp near my house.

3/4"

I got a feeling those are from something bigger than 175 lbs. live weight.

I am hoping, but if a bigger buck is in the area, he hasn't smiled on my cam yet. I have five young bucks on cam, only 3 finger tracks and low rubs found, I am looking to increase cameras in the area.

Its a big woods setting with very low deer numbers, it has taken me 2 years just to get the bucks on camera, but the pieces are coming together.

My total deer count on camera is 2 does and 5 bucks all under 3 years old at this particular spot.

Here is the one I think it is from.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
-SidewayZ-

I'm not scared to fail, I just fear regret!
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:27 pm

UofLbowhunter wrote:Most mature buck pellets are are bigger, but most are squished into more of a big turd all togather. The pellets are alot bigger in general though. You do have cases where bucks do poop pellets, but in my opinion thats due to browse diet being mainly to dry! Singingbridge ( scott shawl) has a very good thread in here somewhere when i get time to find it ill post a link if someone dont bet me to it. Its in dept about deer poop!

In my experience this is pretty spot on. Diet dictates pellets or turds. I’ve found both in or very near buck beds. Size correlates to animals size. Pretty apparent with doe bedding areas and multiple fawns.
Buckinator

Unread postby Buckinator » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:39 am

Killtree wrote:I am sure all of us on here have found a pile of those extra large deer pellets before. How many on here believe those extra large pellets come from a bigger than normal deer?

I love finding some nice big ole' clumpy turds. Turds are good sign, Its safe to say it's from a big buck.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”