Once you've tagged a Buck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

crackehelmet

Once you've tagged a Buck

Unread postby crackehelmet » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:22 pm

I live in Minnesota, and as far as I understand the hunting laws here, you get one legal Buck a year, period. After that you're done or you're hunting does. I know bucks are the focus of the beast hunting tactics, but I was wondering how some of you beasts switch it up and target does once you're done with bucks for the year. How much are you switching your tactics up to target the ladies?

JAK
500 Club

Re: Once you've tagged a Buck

Unread postby JAK » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:42 pm

I guess now looking back I've never bow hunted after I shot a buck even with a doe tag in my pockett. I guess I'm scared to see a bigger one :lol:. But for the most part I Target does in rifel season we do drives. Obviously we want bucks but mostly does is what we get.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:58 pm

Every season is a little different. I try to actually shoot a doe first if I’m not on a good buck yet. Also will shoot a doe late season if I need the meat. Another thing I do is will switch up to a different area that has an abundance of does.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:28 pm

I target does right off the bat here unless I know I've got a good buck dead to rights. A lot more fat on a deer before the rut kicks in so my real meat hunting is done opening weekend
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:31 pm

I’m opposite of most. I don’t target does till the end of late season. I consider them bait so I leave them alone till I can hear the fat lady humming that seasons almost over.
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:35 pm

I usually hunt less aggressively, further from bedding and away from my best spots when I am targeting does.
I also am likely to try new unproven areas and scout while hunting.
Tracking with snow is fun and you can learn a lot but it is difficult to close the deal with a bow.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:36 pm

vtbuck wrote:I’m opposite of most. I don’t target does till the end of late season. I consider them bait so I leave them alone till I can hear the fat lady humming that seasons almost over.

I like them as bait too. Dead bait :L:

Got me a buck this year doing that :D
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:37 pm

I’m the odd man out here. I don’t hunt does so if I fill my buck tag I immediately start scouting for bucks to hunt next season. So much can be learned from in season scouting that is normally missed due to spending so many hours on stand. Monitoring hunting pressure and watching for pockets nobody else is hunting can also be very productive for next season.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:56 pm

crackehelmet wrote:I live in Minnesota, and as far as I understand the hunting laws here, you get one legal Buck a year, period. After that you're done or you're hunting does. I know bucks are the focus of the beast hunting tactics, but I was wondering how some of you beasts switch it up and target does once you're done with bucks for the year. How much are you switching your tactics up to target the ladies?

Not a whole lot. I see bucks and does using the same bedding fairly frequently. Or at least in close proximity. The main thing I do different if I'm targeting a doe is back off of the bedding a ways. For example rather than try and sneak to within 100 yards of the best bed(ding), I will back up to 200 or 300 yards to where I have a good intersection for catching travel routes from MULTIPLE bedding areas. Or possibly a nice terrain funnel that I consider too far from bedding for a big buck. The does aren't as wary and they'll move farther in daylight.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:13 pm

I recall this is your first year of hunting. Got your first bow, first stand etc... I advise you to take the first legal deer that presents u a shot and don't worry about it. Promise u will have a feeling of accomplishment 2nd to none reguardless of buck or doe. After afew seasons think u will reach your own conclusion on when the best time, and what tactic to take a doe. Any deer shot with a bow and arrow is a trophy in my book. All that other stuff is logistics it don't matter. It does u zero good to have the best bow, best stand and best sticks if u can't locate the right spot. Finding the right tree it's what's important
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:15 pm

If its in front of me and I want to shoot it- i shoot it, as long as it’s legal to do so. So yeah. I shoot big bucks, small bucks, does and fawns. If i want it dead I try my best to kill it. For me there’s a time a place for each dead deer. I like venison so later in the year my goals absolutely change.
Last edited by matt1336 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bowonly

Unread postby Bowonly » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:15 pm

I might be the odd man out the other direction. I generally shoot every doe that offers a high percentage shot in bow range. We get unlimited doe tags in my zone but only 1 buck a season.

The two exceptions being maybe a three week window during rut or if I'm in a spot that I expect to see a buck I'd shoot.

The same guys I know that perform well under pressure on bucks also generally kill a pile of does.
Take someone hunting or fishing.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:30 pm

Lockdown wrote:
crackehelmet wrote:I live in Minnesota, and as far as I understand the hunting laws here,you get one legal Buck a year, period. After that you're done or you're hunting does. I know bucks are the focus of the beast hunting tactics, but I was wondering how some of you beasts switch it up and target does once you're done with bucks for the year. How much are you switching your tactics up to target the ladies?

Not a whole lot. I see bucks and does using the same bedding fairly frequently. Or at least in close proximity. The main thing I do different if I'm targeting a doe is back off of the bedding a ways. For example rather than try and sneak to within 100 yards of the best bed(ding), I will back up to 200 or 300 yards to where I have a good intersection for catching travel routes from MULTIPLE bedding areas. Or possibly a nice terrain funnel that I consider too far from bedding for a big buck. The does aren't as wary and they'll move farther in daylight.

You can party hunt. Technically you can kill as many bucks as you want as long as you have a friend with a valid tag and its done legally.
crackehelmet

Unread postby crackehelmet » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:52 pm

Lockdown wrote:You can party hunt. Technically you can kill as many bucks as you want as long as you have a friend with a valid tag and its done legally.

Fair enough. I envy the person with the friends willing to give up the tags.

I'm really enjoying the responses in this thread though. With the focus on the bucks, it's fun to hear about the does some.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:53 am

Boogieman1 wrote:I recall this is your first year of hunting. Got your first bow, first stand etc... I advise you to take the first legal deer that presents u a shot and don't worry about it. Promise u will have a feeling of accomplishment 2nd to none reguardless of buck or doe. After afew seasons think u will reach your own conclusion on when the best time, and what tactic to take a doe. Any deer shot with a bow and arrow is a trophy in my book. All that other stuff is logistics it don't matter. It does u zero good to have the best bow, best stand and best sticks if u can't locate the right spot. Finding the right tree it's what's important

Wow bro so true.
Marketing and tv gimmicks will never get you a deer
I know guys who hunted years and years ago and use to wear flanel shirts and denim or wool pants
There was no cammo. Just military cammo
These guys climbed trees sat in a crotch of limbs and pulled their weapon of choice up
They killed deer. Every year. Either buck or doe
Boogie is right you do t need any of tbat crap just hard work and doing some figuring out

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”