Cams on public poll

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

If running cams on public were illegal in my home state...

I would do it anyway.
22%
I would not do it.
78%

Total votes: 111
OH nontypical
500 Club

Re: Cams on public poll

Unread postby OH nontypical » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:41 pm

If it’s illegal I wouldn’t do it.
I also can’t understand how people steal others cameras or equipment.

I have run across many stands in the Woods and have never ever thought of messing with other hunters gear.

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:10 pm

OH nontypical wrote:If it’s illegal I wouldn’t do it.
I also can’t understand how people steal others cameras or equipment.

I have run across many stands in the Woods and have never ever thought of messing with other hunters gear.

I also dont get y people just need to take everything they find in the woods
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:40 am

Maybe we should just not read all the regulations, so we don't know????

One property I hunted had a dawn to dusk rule for game cams - can use em but only during daytime hours. Go figure.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:56 am

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/texas/2 ... wall-shame

This is relevant to the ethics question.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:14 am

Rich M wrote:Maybe we should just not read all the regulations, so we don't know????

One property I hunted had a dawn to dusk rule for game cams - can use em but only during daytime hours. Go figure.

I have seen that on certain types of public lands too. Brilliant :lol:

When I saw the title for this thread I knew she was gonna be 6+ pages. The only think I know for sure is if I was considering breaking a law, even a stupid law, I sure wouldn't put my intentions in writing on line...

I sometimes think about what deer hunting would be like without trail cameras all over the woods. Would it be more fun overall? More relaxed? Less territorial hunters because we don't need to keep everyone else away from "my" big buck I have on camera? Sometimes we gain a lot but ignore what was lost in the process.

If I had to choose between anything is OK in terms of monitoring deer including cell cameras, drones, etc, and a blanket ban on all that stuff - I would choose the ban and turn in my cameras.
Ashreve93

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:06 am

Lockdown wrote:
Ashreve93 wrote:In my opinion, they hurt more than they help.. I run them in areas i don't plan hunting too much just got the fun of it.. I like seeing pictures of deer.. lol

But really, your smell scared more deer than anything.

That is true if you check them frequently. However I will disagree as long as they’re placed out of the deer’s sight and left for months at a time. Might have an effect that year but the knowledge gained is worth it ten fold IMHO.

I would place a fair share of them in spots I’m unsure about. Spots I might only hunt once or not at all. Use all the info for next season.

That makes for a great point. I suppose when you take frequency out of the occasion, then it may not effect the movement so much. Though I do have photos of bucks only one time a few days after I put the camera out, then never again. It took them smelling me one time to not come back.

Luckily it helped me triangulate his location, but it's quite the risk. I'm sure there are bucks that smelt me before they stepped in front of the camera, so i have no Intel and I scared the buck.

I'm still unsure. Maybe set a camera in the spring and check it mid summer when you can really see how big a buck will get, but not too close to season.
It's not the destination, it's the journey getting there!
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:48 am

I would first gain as much information as possible as to when and why the law went into place. Then, I would try to poke holes in the law and align as many people as possible who agree with me and support the use of cameras. Then, I would build my case strategically and persuasively and lobby/influence the decision makers (for us, the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission). Laws can be changed if peoples voices are loud enough.

Figure out 'why' it's in place?
Why it doesn't make sense and should be changed?
Who supports your decision? Strength in numbers!
Build your case
And begin to influence the decision makers.

Then, instead of sneaking around worried about getting caught or being a bad influence to those who may be observing you, you might just become a local legend! I get that is a daunting process and it's probably easier to simply 'try your luck' but I'm just not sure it's worth it.

I hunt with my son (now 16) and I try to be completely ethical when following the law. Even when I don't agree with it.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”