Cams on public poll

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

If running cams on public were illegal in my home state...

I would do it anyway.
22%
I would not do it.
78%

Total votes: 111
Babshaft
500 Club

Re: Cams on public poll

Unread postby Babshaft » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:37 am

UofLbowhunter wrote:

This is what i was referring to. I have a pretty good guess he is coming from 1 of 3 houses a mile away. Unless he is just unloading it off a truck, there are trails there. This pic is 1/2 mile off an access road dead in the middle of swamp. Probably 80 acres of almost all water. I have my camera sitting in one of the only dry humps in the middle. There was a good buck bed there 40 yds away. The bad part the main office is a 1/2 mile oppisite direction of he houses and the access road comes right by office. I just feel it should be addressed, weather they do something about, i doubt it. But it tick me off. It should be left alone. Not just becuase of me, its destroying a protected habitat in my state. Plus wma rules sign say absulutly no off road vehicels of any kind allowed ! What do you do. I got him every day during the 10 day rifle season!

That is a funny picture to get on camera! I've personally never cared if guys wanted to break the minor rules (the aforementioned rule in the original post) even if I personally wouldn't do it. But if they're breaking one of the rules like that one pictured, and it's affecting the habitat, then it doesn't sit right with me.

I'd be ticked off too.

UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:47 am

Babshaft wrote:
UofLbowhunter wrote:

This is what i was referring to. I have a pretty good guess he is coming from 1 of 3 houses a mile away. Unless he is just unloading it off a truck, there are trails there. This pic is 1/2 mile off an access road dead in the middle of swamp. Probably 80 acres of almost all water. I have my camera sitting in one of the only dry humps in the middle. There was a good buck bed there 40 yds away. The bad part the main office is a 1/2 mile oppisite direction of he houses and the access road comes right by office. I just feel it should be addressed, weather they do something about, i doubt it. But it tick me off. It should be left alone. Not just becuase of me, its destroying a protected habitat in my state. Plus wma rules sign say absulutly no off road vehicels of any kind allowed ! What do you do. I got him every day during the 10 day rifle season!

That is a funny picture to get on camera! I've personally never cared if guys wanted to break the minor rules (the aforementioned rule in the original post) even if I personally wouldn't do it. But if they're breaking one of the rules like that one pictured, and it's affecting the habitat, then it doesn't sit right with me.

I'd be ticked off too.

Ya. It kinda ticked me off!! I had that camera up since may 5 and didnt touch it till last week. Those fourwheeler pics were twice a day alot of the days in and out. If its a disabled hunter they are supose to be in contact with the wma, the set those guys up. But i pretty sure he is not disabled! :angry-fire: :angry-cussingblack: probably the worse thing about the whole thing! Thats a kid riding on the back, what does he think he is teaching that kid?? This is why wma get that bad reputation!

JUST SAD!!!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:07 am

Jonny wrote:
Lockdown wrote:
Dewey wrote:Betting some states don’t allow them just because the DNR doesn’t want to deal with the huge amount of issues they would have due to people calling to report camera thefts. I realize they can say your using them at your own risk but that won’t stop people from constantly calling wardens when they get one stolen. I can see how it’s just much less hassle to make them illegal.

Problem is with cams on public is they cause issues with guys staking claim to certain areas just like some do with treestands. Much easier to just write the law that everything must be removed daily from public land instead of tying wardens up with dealing with petty stuff like that and focus on the big stuff.

So they’re ok with being hasseled about stolen cams and people claiming their spot on some Mn public land, but not all?

See my point here...

It would make more sense to me if it was all or nothing, strait across the board.

It depends on who owns the public land. Is it DNR (state), county, city, federal. They all have different rules that never line up with eachother. Would be nice for some continuity but when is that ever feasible in the government.

Hate to say it, but they should just make it so everything must come out with you. If you leave it, its part of the public land and up for grabs for anybody. Just make it simple. Nobody would like it, but that would probably be the simplest option for wardens to enforce.

I agree with this. Nothing bothers me more than seeing crap left behind from everyone. Problem is you start allowing a few things and before you know it’s out of control. I’m thankful that Federal lands I hunt have extremely strict rules, no shining, no scouting, no trail cams, no boats, no shed hunting and you can’t be on the property more than one hour before daylight or one hour after dark. Crazy rules but I appreciate them because it keeps everyone in line and it’s not a free for all like some areas. All the rules are strictly endorced. You don’t want to mess with Federal wardens. It will end up very badly for you.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:24 am

Dewey wrote:
Jonny wrote:
Lockdown wrote:
Dewey wrote:Betting some states don’t allow them just because the DNR doesn’t want to deal with the huge amount of issues they would have due to people calling to report camera thefts. I realize they can say your using them at your own risk but that won’t stop people from constantly calling wardens when they get one stolen. I can see how it’s just much less hassle to make them illegal.

Problem is with cams on public is they cause issues with guys staking claim to certain areas just like some do with treestands. Much easier to just write the law that everything must be removed daily from public land instead of tying wardens up with dealing with petty stuff like that and focus on the big stuff.

So they’re ok with being hasseled about stolen cams and people claiming their spot on some Mn public land, but not all?

See my point here...

It would make more sense to me if it was all or nothing, strait across the board.

It depends on who owns the public land. Is it DNR (state), county, city, federal. They all have different rules that never line up with eachother. Would be nice for some continuity but when is that ever feasible in the government.

Hate to say it, but they should just make it so everything must come out with you. If you leave it, its part of the public land and up for grabs for anybody. Just make it simple. Nobody would like it, but that would probably be the simplest option for wardens to enforce.

I agree with this. Nothing bothers me more than seeing crap left behind from everyone. Problem is you start allowing a few things and before you know it’s out of control. I’m thankful that Federal lands I hunt have extremely strict rules, no shining, no scouting, no trail cams, no boats, no shed hunting and you can’t be on the property more than one hour before daylight or one hour after dark. Crazy rules but I appreciate them because it keeps everyone in line and it’s not a free for all like some areas. All the rules are strictly endorced. You don’t want to mess with Federal wardens. It will end up very badly for you.

The only rule I would have a problem with is the 1 hour rule. I feel like that is kinda bogus
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:55 am

Dewey wrote:

What do you do if you shoot a deer?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
dewayne

Unread postby dewayne » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:59 am

Although it is legal here I don’t do it because they will come up missing
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:13 am

tgreeno wrote:
Dewey wrote:

If I kill a deer I call the Federal warden to let him know and he gives me permission to retrieve my deer. Also requires notification after I leave the property when I get my deer out. Told me that is required from everyone otherwise he will just assume your hunting after hours and you will be charged.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:23 am

Dewey wrote:
tgreeno wrote:
Dewey wrote:

If I kill a deer I call the Federal warden to let him know and he gives me permission to retrieve my deer. Also requires notification after I leave the property when I get my deer out. Told me that is required from everyone otherwise he will just assume your hunting after hours and you will be charged.

Dang...the feds run a tight ship! Good to know in case I ever hunt out there.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:39 am

Jonny wrote:
Lockdown wrote:

See my point here...

I understand the reasoning behind this but I honestly hope this doesn't become the case. I agree that it would be the easiest to enforce, but easy enforcement isnt really the point of public lands in my eyes. The whole beauty of public lands as I see it is you can do whatever you want as long as you: 1. don't prevent someone else from doing whatever they want and 2. you don't alter or damage the land in a way that makes it worse than it was before. I enjoy seeing a variety of activities being allowed on public land. I personally would like to see some low impact camping allowed on more state land than there currently is. Yeah there will always be some people trashing up the place but allowing more people to use the land for more things will ultimately create more stewards of the land. I see it on some of the public land by my home where they have established hiking trails, people have flocked to those areas and they take great care of the land and have trash cleanup days and remove invasive species. Just my perspective on it, I understand the perspective for the opposite viewpoint.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:01 am

Dewey wrote:
tgreeno wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Same thing on DNR no entry wildlife refuge in case you are wondering. Just need to know who owns the land and the property manager. If it’s state, warden is the go to
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Ashreve93

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:15 am

In my opinion, they hurt more than they help.. I run them in areas i don't plan hunting too much just got the fun of it.. I like seeing pictures of deer.. lol

But really, your smell scared more deer than anything.
It's not the destination, it's the journey getting there!
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:45 am

Lockdown wrote:
rfickes87 wrote:
Lockdown wrote:I’ve been thinking about running cams on public even though it is illegal in my state. If you were in my shoes, would you do it anyway? On one hand, I like to follow the rules. Life is easier that way. On the other hand, what is it really hurting...

Look at the success you've had. You're one of the best hunters I know on here. I can understand you might think some hunters in other states are so lucky to be able to use them but think about this...

5 seconds after you shoot your next buck and if you had got him on trail camera, you're probably going to stop and think to yourself... "Dang I really didn't need to cheat to get him".

Last summer I had a huge buck on camera laying down in his bed that I had pre-scouted. I went home and said to my wife "I'm going to buy a wireless camera and set it up on him and kill him when he goes to this bed once the season starts" she says to me "That's not hunting you can't do that, that's cheating!" I sat and thought about it and yeah, even though it'd be perfectly legal, morally it was wrong. Wouldn't be the same level of honor in it.

...Even though it'd still be hard as heck to kill him!

First of all I'm not sure I'm worthy of your compliment, but thanks lol. There are many guys on the site that can hunt circles around me IMO.

Regarding the highlighted portion... cheating. Would it be cheating? I suppose it would be classified as cheating since its illegal, but it is a widely used and accepted technique. My two cents on the matter is legally using a cell cam on private to tell when a buck is where you want him is more like cheating than running a cam on public IN MY OPINION. Not trying to start a big cell cam debate. That is just how I feel about cell cams and "too much" technology. I am not knocking you or others who intend to or do use them. To each their own. ;)

Earlier in the thread when I asked why running cams on public is even illegal, answers varied from "I don't know" to "Probably because..."

I KNOW I'm close to some huge bucks... I saw some big ones this summer when they were visible. How many mature bucks did I see this fall? Zero... unless you count the buck I saw late December in SD that I THINK was mature and had shed his horns. I saw one 3.5 year old twice in November but that was on private. It would be different if I had the time to invest in observation sits during season, and time to scout before the hunt. But with my family and work obligations my time is limited. Trail cams would give me sooo many answers :cry:

I'm no different than the next guy I'm just trying to hunt as efficient as I can.

The only reason I used the word "cheating" was because your fellow hunting peers can't use cameras per your in state game laws. Even though everyone else in the country does haha. In PA we can't spotlight after 11pm. But many on this site can. I get jealous of that sometimes...
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:53 am

Lot of laws are ludicrous. I'm just glad I'm not in a state where Sunday hunting is still not allowed. Most ludicrous law I've ever heard of. Not being able to take advantage of a new technology. Pales in comparison IMHO!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:56 am

stash59 wrote:Lot of laws are ludicrous. I'm just glad I'm not in a state where Sunday hunting is still not allowed. Most ludicrous law I've ever heard of. Not being able to take advantage of a new technology. Pales in comparison IMHO!

Yes that is 5x more stupid than no cams on public. No hunting on Sunday... oh you mean no hunting on 50% of my time off?! I have a feeling I’d be getting the fall flu even more than I do now.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:00 pm

Ashreve93 wrote:In my opinion, they hurt more than they help.. I run them in areas i don't plan hunting too much just got the fun of it.. I like seeing pictures of deer.. lol

But really, your smell scared more deer than anything.

That is true if you check them frequently. However I will disagree as long as they’re placed out of the deer’s sight and left for months at a time. Might have an effect that year but the knowledge gained is worth it ten fold IMHO.

I would place a fair share of them in spots I’m unsure about. Spots I might only hunt once or not at all. Use all the info for next season.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”