Using climbing stands to hunt bedding areas

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wild public
Facebook: Joe Mckinney

Using climbing stands to hunt bedding areas

Unread postby Wild public » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:12 am

Ok guys. I’m very new at locating and hunting beds. Started scouting a few weeks ago and already found 3 bedding areas I’m very excited about hunting next season. I’m sure there is a learning curb but I want to do all I can between now and season to give me the best odds. At all three of these locations the tree or trees I need to get into will work for a climbing stand ,,I noticed I rarely see these in any videos and it got me thinking,,are they too loud?.? I was going to practice through the summer to see how quiet I can be. But can I be quiet enough? Do any of you use climbers? If so do you have recommendations on the quietest climber you have used?
I love my climber for a lot of reasons but you do have to be very very careful or it can be noisy. I’m cautious but I’ve never thought I was setting up this close to beds before. Would love input from others more expierenced. I will buy another climber or scrap the climber and use hang on if I have too,, these spots are holding big deer and want to do everything I can for best 1st time sit. Thx

JAK
500 Club

Re: Using climbing stands to hunt bedding areas

Unread postby JAK » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:17 am

I think it's all personal prefrence. If I know I have a bunch of straight trees where I'm gunna hunt I'll take my climber. I've got a lone wolf sit and climb I think I'm quieter with it and less movement. Also it's allot lighter then my stand and sticks. But with practice I think stand and sticks would be alright to.
Wild public

Unread postby Wild public » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:30 am

JAK wrote:I think it's all personal prefrence. If I know I have a bunch of straight trees where I'm gunna hunt I'll take my climber. I've got a lone wolf sit and climb I think I'm quieter with it and less movement. Also it's allot lighter then my stand and sticks. But with practice I think stand and sticks would be alright to.

Thx. I may need to check out the lone wolf sit and climb.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:33 am

Xop makes a sit and climb as well that's virtually the same thing. There just super quite and collapse when u pack them in
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:54 am

The advantage of a hang on is you can go in any tree. Most bedding isn’t in areas with climber trees since it’s more open, and generally is hunted harder.

I’m not saying you can’t bed hunt with a climber. You will just have your work cut out for you to do so. Lot less tree options for you.

Another thing, if a climber works in a tree, so does a hang on. I’m not planning on replacing my climber anytime soon to be honest. Gonna invest that money in better sticks
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:13 am

Jonny wrote:The advantage of a hang on is you can go in any tree. Most bedding isn’t in areas with climber trees since it’s more open, and generally is hunted harder.

I’m not saying you can’t bed hunt with a climber. You will just have your work cut out for you to do so. Lot less tree options for you.

Another thing, if a climber works in a tree, so does a hang on. I’m not planning on replacing my climber anytime soon to be honest. Gonna invest that money in better sticks

I would agree just scouted a area yesterday absaloutly no trees for a climber where I would need to set up. Stand and sticks leaves no doubt to getting in a tree.
Wild public

Unread postby Wild public » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:18 pm

Jonny wrote:The advantage of a hang on is you can go in any tree. Most bedding isn’t in areas with climber trees since it’s more open, and generally is hunted harder.

Thx. I have a hang on and would just need sticks and was expecting to have to do that..I’m I’m sure I will find spots that a climber will not work but so far the three bedding spots I’ve found ,,the trees I think I will need to hunt are climber friendly,,and have optional trees as well,,I have done hang and hunts before and given the option I would prefer my climber,,just didn’t know if I could be quiet enough setting up and climbing,, I also feel much safer in my climber,,but all that said I know with this bed hunting I will have hunt the deer where the beds dictate. And am fully expecting to have to invest in sticks. Thx again
Wild public

Unread postby Wild public » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:21 pm

JAK wrote:Xop makes a sit and climb as well that's virtually the same thing. There just super quite and collapse when u pack them in

Thx. I will check them out. I know you don’t get too many hunts on these beds. So the last thing I want to do is blow a hunt because my stand made too much noise. Thx again
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:16 pm

Wild public wrote:
JAK wrote:Xop makes a sit and climb as well that's virtually the same thing. There just super quite and collapse when u pack them in

Thx. I will check them out. I know you don’t get too many hunts on these beds. So the last thing I want to do is blow a hunt because my stand made too much noise. Thx again

I hunted with a climber for years in close proximity to deer it can be done but its not easy as sticks they love scratching the bark and the cables make noise I always ended up farther back than I wanted
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Bogle

Unread postby Bogle » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:30 pm

I’ve used a climber in conjunction with sticks when it’s during the rut and I want to setup for an all day sit close to bedding or between bedding and a food source. Use my Summit Viper. With that said; I prefer a saddle or lock on.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:35 pm

I have climbed up in my summit many times and sat down and realized deer were bedded within 100 yards. But I climb slow with my weapon across the rails watching and waiting for a shot opportunity. I don’t just scrape up the tree and ‘let the woods settle down’.

But certain trees with loud bark, it is tough. But you can still get up without spooking deer. Think about the woodpeckers, squirrels, raccoons etc... lots of noises in the woods that deer hear. Going really really slow when you can’t be silent, is key.

In certain terrains a climber simply isn’t an option when getting into bedding areas, this is why most guys gravitate to the hang on/sticks, other places climber will work anywhere...

I havent used a lw climber but I have heard they are much quieter than summit.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:17 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:
Wild public wrote:

I hunted with a climber for years in close proximity to deer it can be done but its not easy as sticks they love scratching the bark and the cables make noise I always ended up farther back than I wanted

I agree ghost ive done the same thing
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:46 pm

Lopedog699 wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
Wild public wrote:

I agree ghost ive done the same thing
best way to get around it is hang pre sets stands in the kill zone and use climber for observation stands takes a forensic level of scouting but it works.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
dewayne

Unread postby dewayne » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:47 pm

I have always used a climber and have never bought into the hang on thing until now. While hunting this season I realized how much noise I was making with my loud, clanky, heavy and bulky stand. I should also mention this was my first year seriously bow hunting and public land too. I assumed I thought I knew what I was doing but man was I wrong. Everything I was trying to do was completely counter productive.

After listening to a few podcast and finding the hunting beast I decided it was time to ditch the summit, invest in a Lone Wolf, and start hunting the beading areas. I have not bought my stand yet as season just ended here in NC a few weeks ago. However, rest assured I will be ordering an Alpha hang on and 4 sticks in the neat future. I'm excited as ever to get it and start putting it up in a tree and try it out, I cant wait until September.
northeast beast

Unread postby northeast beast » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:40 pm

Get good with your gear and customeize it with stealth strips and I love my climber...so quiet...I barely make a sound... hill country bedding it works for me

Drawback:
It's big off the side of a tree in swamp areas. So you stay low to keep in the canopy. And you feel huge

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”