Getting out of setup with deer present

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Getting out of setup with deer present

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:14 am

I sat the other night and had a deer come in 20 yards from me between me and the point
Well it stayed bedded til after legal time i had no choice but to get down i spooked the deer with my movement of packing up the things i store in my pack but it never blew or stomped or anything it just took off.jumped away
How does everyone deal with getting down when deer are present after dark or legal shooting time?
How do you get them to leave so you dont screw area up for future hunts?

Mathewshooter

Re: Getting out of setup with deer present

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:19 am

I just start snorting like a deer. That gets them to run away but they dont know why they ran.
I take my Bowhunting seriously
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:40 am

I use a coyote howler. In Missouri it is illegal to use an electronic call during deer season, so I have to use a mouth call...I know, a coyote 20+ feet up in a tree... If your state allows you to use an electronic call, set it on coyote howl, and hang it at waist height a few yards away from your set-up. It ain't good, but it is better than spooking deer from your spot or sitting all night waiting for them to leave.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:51 am

I usually don't have this problem often, but in the past have used my snort wheeze on my grunt or you simply just start getting down and don't worry about alarming the deer. They figure it out pretty quick and will sometimes move off without blowing.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:04 am

I Had this problem in my stand several days ago. 3 deer had bedded down and I couldn’t sit there all day and wait for them to leave. I had my wife walk to me (only about 100 yards or so from our house) and I told her to make as much noise as possible. I didn’t want her to look like she was sneaking. It obviously had some impact as well as me hunting the stand two days in a row. I tried a third day and saw nothing. This is a rut stand in a rural but developed area...houses all nearby.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:16 am

Get down like normal and don't worry about it. Your scent will be in the area since your currently hunting it so move on to your next set up the next time you hunt.
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:39 am

I only care about getting busted if I'm hunting behind my home. In that case if I haven't shown up, once it's dark, my wife takes the dog for a 'walk' and they scatter quick. Any other place, I don't care. I probably won't hunt the spot again that season anyhow.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:04 am

Good question, one that I struggle with frequently. I often have deer feeding in front of me after legal time when I need to leave. I usually just wait until it's really dark then lower my bow and make some noise with it before getting down. They usually don't spook too bad. Just run 30 yards or so and wait for me to leave. Unfortunately sometimes there is that one doe that needs to get down wind and snort her brains out. I hate that. The spot is usually ruined for the season after that. I don't have the luxury of having someone else come in to scare them off, and making coyote sounds doesn't seem like a good solution to me.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:27 pm

Bowhunting Brian wrote:Get down like normal and don't worry about it. Your scent will be in the area since your currently hunting it so move on to your next set up the next time you hunt.

X2 - I know I will probably not be sitting that same tree again for at least a month or possibly til next season.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:43 pm

I've hung cameras in beds after I leave I've found it takes deer 2 or 3 weeks to use it again unless it rains then they move back quicker I don't make noise to scare them as far as they know I was a bear climbing a tree.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”