Gaining permission to hunt private

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brohunt or Die

Gaining permission to hunt private

Unread postby Brohunt or Die » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:03 am

Good morning everyone.

I am interested in focusing on gaining permission to hunt private land, exclusively if possible. I am starting at ground zero, with that said, does anyone have any tips on what to say, time of day, weekday, weekend, what to wear, etc.?

I read an article on Wide Open Spaces and they had a few tips, i.e. bring a kid along when asking, not wear camo... I will be hunting alone predominantly, possibly bring with a girlfriend, and strictly bowhunting.

I understand I better get a thick skin quick for rejection, but my luck with the ladies my whole life has prepared me for that...

Here's a few thoughts I've had about this recently...
-Where do I even begin? The only info I have on finding mature bucks is the sign I have found on public land. Do I start there and try to gain permission on adjacent private, or just throw a dart on the map and give it a shot for some property nowhere near any public?

I'm willing to EARN permission, say, work a day for the landowner out on the farm or something like that, provide them with some ground venison, etc. I have no idea on how to even bring these things up, if the conversation even gets to that point.

Anyone have any experience with this or have any tips or advice? Thanks all.

-Brohunt or Die

Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Re: Gaining permission to hunt private

Unread postby Tim H » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:22 am

I would be very up front with the land owner. Make sure you introduce yourself. Who you are, where you live. Also any info that possibly connects a common interest. For example, I go to church with Bob Sanders and he suggested I contact you in regards to gaining permission on your property to hunt.

Also something I learned from my Trappers Ed class is to have copies of signed consent in the vehicle. In the event you get permission it's nice to have those can be handy. Then you have written permission. Although I'm not sure it makes it legal it's still nice to have if someone is accusing you of trepassing (a nosey neighbor and such).
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:34 am

Good Luck! It's a long hard path, with much rejection!

Getting "exclusive" permission on private these days without leasing, is very very difficult! Someone always has a shoestring relative who brings his "buddies" to hunt on uncle Charlies land. I have found my efforts are better served, using the time to scout more public land.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:56 am

used to be easy when I was a kid when a ten year old rides a bike up to your house and knocks on a door he tends to get farther. dress clean you don't need a suit and tie but don't look like a creeper maybe ask to just shed hunt it first impressions make or break the deal. establish a friendship with him. figure out what bar he goes too or coffee shop and start talking to the guy their. listen in on a conversation and but in. establish a relationship away from his house. its like hunting beds sometimes they are a couple years work in progress. how do you feel when a random person knocks on your door. or just send your kids to house on bikes and have them do it lol.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:57 am

I honestly have had the best luck getting permission to hunt small game first, then establish a relationship and ease into over a few years. Getting permission for deer is tough, turkey a little easier and small game pretty easy. Over the past 10 years I've focused my "by permission" efforts on small properties. There is more of them and alot of people assume you can't kill big deer on less than 80 acres so they don't bother asking.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:59 am

I am kind of against knocking on doors to beg for anything. I don't want any religious group, or any other solicitor coming to the door unannounced. If I need religion or cookies or whatever I'll find a way to get some. If you are knocking on doors to gain permission to hunt. You are expecting a land owner to let you hunt for free when they can lease or rent out the land. I would say that is panhandling in a big way. I used to do that many years ago. Things were different back then. No one payed to hunt back then. Now days if you own timber it has a hunting value attached to it. So for me I'm not going to intrude on anyone, begging for a place to hunt for free.

If you have family or friends that is a different story. The properties I hunt are owned by long time friends (40-50 yrs) that hunt themselves. I have worked on tractors, helped do timber projects, helped harvest crops, hauled grain, roofing jobs, worked on buildings and miscellaneous stuff like this. There is a price to pay for anything in life. I don't expect or want anything for free. :think:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Hatchetman

Unread postby Hatchetman » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:39 am

couple things...
Normally big operation grain farmers are tough. Big farms require a lot of help so hired hands and family will get first dibs 90% of the time.
However in high deer density areas they may still let you on if you assure them you'll plug a few antlerless first.(If they are not big hunters themselves they usually hate deer for eating their crops)
Another positive thing with these operators is they run thousands of acres most times so maybe try asking for just one remote 40 or 80 first.
Don't bug him during harvest time, but don't ask to early though either. I like July or August.
Make sure you take pics of your doe kills and show it to him after the season, grain season that is, Christmas time is good. Can couple that with a Christmas gift of some sort. He'll more then likely feel good about seeing your success and seeing your enthusiasim!
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:46 am

Stanley wrote:I am kind of against knocking on doors to beg for anything. I don't want any religious group, or any other solicitor coming to the door unannounced. If I need religion or cookies or whatever I'll find a way to get some. If you are knocking on doors to gain permission to hunt. You are expecting a land owner to let you hunt for free when they can lease or rent out the land. I would say that is panhandling in a big way. I used to do that many years ago. Things were different back then. No one payed to hunt back then. Now days if you own timber it has a hunting value attached to it. So for me I'm not going to intrude on anyone, begging for a place to hunt for free.

If you have family or friends that is a different story. The properties I hunt are owned by long time friends (40-50 yrs) that hunt themselves. I have worked on tractors, helped do timber projects, helped harvest crops, hauled grain, roofing jobs, worked on buildings and miscellaneous stuff like this. There is a price to pay for anything in life. I don't expect or want anything for free. :think:

That's exactly how I feel.

Every land I have permission to hunt on is owned by a farmer. I offer to do the same thing for all of them and they all seem very happy when I do. I pick rocks out of the field. Only takes a few hours to leave a massive pile by the ditch and they always appreciate it. I do it every spring and every spring I get a phone call saying thanks and good luck.

I feel better hunting their property when I've done something for them.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:00 am

I would make sure to do one thing
BE YOURSELF
Thats it. Dont be or try to present yourself your not
If your a blue jeans and hoodie guy well knock on door in blue jeans and hoodie
Dont put suit on or cammo up. Or sugar coat anything
And be honest. And ask ask ask. For some reason people are reluctant to ask for permission for some reason they put it off til its too late
Just ask. Best answer is yes worst is no
Nothing to lose. But be yourself
Good luck bro
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:05 am

tgreeno wrote:Good Luck! It's a long hard path, with much rejection!

Getting "exclusive" permission on private these days without leasing, is very very difficult! Someone always has a shoestring relative who brings his "buddies" to hunt on uncle Charlies land. I have found my efforts are better served, using the time to scout more public land.

I agree greeno. Delaware has more than enough public ground to hunt is there guys? Oh yea Its why im giving my lease up this year but most of the big hunters. Hunt gun seasons anyway. The earlier the season starts the better
It starts September 1st here the only real guys out that early are gungho guys or us beast hunters.
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:28 am

Its tough to get permission around here and if you do its usually overhunted property where the landowner has a hard time saying no. I started hunting public 18 years ago and havent looked back. I can find public with less pressure than some of the private land I used to hunt. My best technique to get permission to hunt back in the day was to start out asking to Coyote hunt. Farmers seem to despse those critters. Then in spring, show back up and ask to Turkey hunt. Always ask if they need help with anything when you are there. At the end of Turkey season you then try to get them to let you Bowhunt it that fall. Usually at this point you have shown them you are responsible and not just some goober.
I take my Bowhunting seriously
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:37 am

Redman232 wrote:I honestly have had the best luck getting permission to hunt small game first, then establish a relationship and ease into over a few years. Getting permission for deer is tough, turkey a little easier and small game pretty easy. Over the past 10 years I've focused my "by permission" efforts on small properties. There is more of them and alot of people assume you can't kill big deer on less than 80 acres so they don't bother asking.

Some folks around here go with the "I'd love access to just hunt hogs on your property"
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Catskills

Unread postby Catskills » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:21 am

Meateater Podcast did a pretty good podcast on this subject, #96 titled "permissions". In this episode they cover different scenarios and tips. They also share a letter that a fan uses to gain permission. That letter has since been shared online. The letter is great if you're using an app like Xmaps that has the tax addresses but no other info.

Every "no" is closer to a yes
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:34 am

Introduce yourself be very polite. Ive always offered to help around the farm or whatever they need.. If you do gain permison don't just be that guy who shows up to hunt and that's it stop and talk with them building a friendship is key. Send Christmas cards. Lotta little tricks
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:06 am

Alright, I give u one that I used to do reg that is pretty effortless that actually has the folks call you. Wait until something comes on sale anything really. I liked shotguns, say wal mart had a sale on a shotgun reg $499 on sale until whenever for $129. I the place a add online Brand new never been fired still in box etc... Shotgun will trade for hunting permission for the upcoming season. When they call I look at property, if I like it, then I go buy the shotgun. If I don't like it or no one response I'm not out anything anyway
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”