Saddle hunters

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Re: Saddle hunters

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:04 pm

ontario farmer wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
d_rek wrote:Can’t believe no one has mentioned this yet but there is an entire forum dedicated to saddle hunting at http://www.saddlehunter.com

The community there is awesome and very open minded. Any questions you have are likely to have been answered already. There is also map showing saddle hunter locations throughout the US for guys who are interested in trying a saddle setup before they drop coin on them.

I have been saddle hunting going on 4 seasons and will never use a climber or hang and hunt ever again.
yea but I don't like activated carbon lol jk jk :naughty:

Is this thread about carbon or saddle hunting.
sorry my bad

THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:33 pm

Lots of saddle hunters who don’t buy into the scent control thing. Like I said it’s a pretty open minded group. If you want to learn more about saddle hunting it’s definitely the place to go.
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:39 pm

checkerfred wrote:
wolverinebuckman wrote:
checkerfred wrote:I’ve been just hunting on the ground mostly but there are a few places where I need a stand

I'm with you on this, after November 15th I pretty much went Solid Ground sits apart from maybe one. But I did find myself in a couple of areas where I wouldn't have minded being in a tree, and most of those trees would not have done with the climber that I had. I'm looking forward to using the saddle system this year to be able to go in light weight and decide at the time if I'm going to sit the ground or a tree.

I’d rather be elevated but if I’m gonna go stand or saddle I really want it to be less than 10 lbs...if dan comes out with his sticks that will be 13.5 with one stick and an assault. I guess the biggest benefit would be comfort over weight. I just feel like you’re not saving but a pound or two and it seems like more to setup with and more things to have to mess with. Certainly 4 of dans sticks and a platform would be better. Maybe 10lbs max

I just really hated getting tangled up with a climber on my back, the weight really wasn't an issue, but a smaller pack for the saddle sounds more attractive for where I'm going, getting through the thick crap. Especially not knowing until I get into the spot if I'm going to ground sit or climb a tree.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
bwwma

Unread postby bwwma » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:45 pm

Any more of the saddle guys want to get rid of their lone wolf setups ?
bwwma

Unread postby bwwma » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:47 pm

Say no to carbon & snake oil.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:21 pm

d_rek wrote:Lots of saddle hunters who don’t buy into the scent control thing. Like I said it’s a pretty open minded group. If you want to learn more about saddle hunting it’s definitely the place to go.

I've checked it out seems legit I want to find those enopow tree climbers that guy was using on you tube you should search it if you haven't seen it I don't know how to make a link if anybody knows how
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:30 pm

check out BoudreauxBoswell on you tube hes got some good stuff for saddle hunting and has those enopow tree climbers look great they are like a climbing stand for your feet for saddle hunt. I've been thinking about welding a set up for myself
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:42 pm

I imagine the main reason more guys are messing with them is due to Saddlehunter.com.

There was a lot of talk about them when Trophyline got going, but then it faded a little when they stopped making them.

I've been tinkering with saddles for almost 15 years, but have to say I still prefer my Lone Wolf for most of my hunting.
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:28 am

ontario farmer wrote:
d_rek wrote:Can’t believe no one has mentioned this yet but there is an entire forum dedicated to saddle hunting at http://www.saddlehunter.com

The community there is awesome and very open minded. Any questions you have are likely to have been answered already. There is also map showing saddle hunter locations throughout the US for guys who are interested in trying a saddle setup before they drop coin on them.

I have been saddle hunting going on 4 seasons and will never use a climber or hang and hunt ever again.

2X Agree with d-rek . I would not hunt any other way and saddlehunter.com it is a great site for potential saddle hunters.

I hunt with a Kestrel 4 pounds... 3 modified hawk helium sticks includes an aider 7 pounds. Amersteps a couple of pounds for a platform. Compact quiet and quick and light.
This will get you to 23 feet at foot level.

X3 except sit drag instead of kestrel. I jumped into it with minimal practice right at the start of the season. It was the tool that allowed me to use the tactics I learned here.

Saddlehunter.com is where it's at for learning about setups, equipment, etc.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:32 am

bwwma wrote:Any more of the saddle guys want to get rid of their lone wolf setups ?

I have two lw stands i wanna get rid of 150$ a piece plus shipping thats gonna be most likely off the hook
ontario farmer
Facebook: Ontario

Unread postby ontario farmer » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:08 am

d_rek wrote:Lots of saddle hunters who don’t buy into the scent control thing. Like I said it’s a pretty open minded group. If you want to learn more about saddle hunting it’s definitely the place to go.

2X There are many many beast hunters on the saddle hunter site that do not use scent control.
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:30 am

I hunt out of a Web and love it so far given the right conditions. I still think there's a place for a hang on so I haven't sold either of my LW but might be reconsidering selling at least one. Just shot my first deer out of a saddle this year so that gave me the confidence I needed to know I could do it and it was on my weak side no less. You just have to try it sometimes to see if it's for you.
ontario farmer

Unread postby ontario farmer » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:54 am

Whitetailaddict wrote:I hunt out of a Web and love it so far given the right conditions. I still think there's a place for a hang on so I haven't sold either of my LW but might be reconsidering selling at least one. Just shot my first deer out of a saddle this year so that gave me the confidence I needed to know I could do it and it was on my weak side no less. You just have to try it sometimes to see if it's for you.

I have a guidos web and a kestrel. I use both but the Kestrel more. I harvested two big toms this spring out of my web. I hung on the ground behind a big tree with decoys in front. The tree made good cover and the web made a super seat. With that seat on a tree turkey hunting you can move slowly and smoothly to keep your cover or take your shot.

I like my web when I do not have to go far or want to sit for a long time with the gun. I used the kestrel most of the time this year. I never use a climber or hang on anymore. I sold the climber and probably should sell the hang on since it gathers dust.
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:59 am

ontario farmer wrote:
Whitetailaddict wrote:I hunt out of a Web and love it so far given the right conditions. I still think there's a place for a hang on so I haven't sold either of my LW but might be reconsidering selling at least one. Just shot my first deer out of a saddle this year so that gave me the confidence I needed to know I could do it and it was on my weak side no less. You just have to try it sometimes to see if it's for you.

I have a guidos web and a kestrel. I use both but the Kestrel more. I harvested two big toms this spring out of my web. I hung on the ground behind a big tree with decoys in front. The tree made good cover and the web made a super seat. With that seat on a tree turkey hunting you can move slowly and smoothly to keep your cover or take your shot.

I like my web when I do not have to go far or want to sit for a long time with the gun. I used the kestrel most of the time this year. I never use a climber or hang on anymore. I sold the climber and probably should sell the hang on since it gathers dust.

I had never even thought of use a saddle for turkey hunting but I'm sure it is a deadly tactic if you have the appropriate situation.
ontario farmer

Unread postby ontario farmer » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:07 am

Whitetailaddict wrote:
ontario farmer wrote:

I had never even thought of use a saddle for turkey hunting but I'm sure it is a deadly tactic if you have the appropriate situation.

If you are sitting on the ground you may as well be comfortable you can smoothly and quietly shift your positions as the turkey approaches and keep the tree trunk in front of you. Large trees -24 inch diameter or two or three trees close together work best. When you take the shot I simple push against the tree to stand up and use the side of the tree as a rest.

I got two nice tom this spring, they both came within 10 yards before I shot. Two different days.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”