Swamps and Marshes

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PredatorTC
500 Club

Swamps and Marshes

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:24 am

What do you think the difference is between a swamp and marsh and how do you think deer use them differently.

Autumn Ninja

Re: Swamps and Marshes

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:46 am

PredatorTC wrote:What do you think the difference is between a swamp and marsh and how do you think deer use them differently.

I think its geography....Where I live a swamp is wooded, usually with alot of cypress and such...we don't have any marsh's either, where I live...we call them slews.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:21 am

A swamp is mainly wooded and a marsh is mainly open (like cattails). The way deer use them can vary greatly or it can be the same. It just depends on how it's set up and how wet it is. They feel plenty safe in cattails, but in some marsh's there are a very limited number of prime bedding locations due to water.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:35 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:A swamp is mainly wooded and a marsh is mainly open (like cattails). The way deer use them can vary greatly or it can be the same. It just depends on how it's set up and how wet it is. They feel plenty safe in cattails, but in some marsh's there are a very limited number of prime bedding locations due to water.

Couldn't have said it better myself! :D
Pretty much sums it up!
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:14 am

Great guys, now I gotta change my name from Swampthing to Marshthing.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:15 am

I am going to be scouting a swamp or two in the next two weeks. I am going to be hunting some new grounds this year and want to make it count each time in the woods. I have never hunted a swamp so I am looking forward to the learning involved.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”