Creating set ups for next season

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Creating set ups for next season

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:42 pm

Lopedog699 wrote:Ye thats good idea Ernie over saddle hunter sells the kits 70$. Then i bought the seat cast and 6 point brackets for 50. Ive bought so much stuff to get mobile this year im starting to get the ole stink eye from the mrs. Lmao.
I think its gonna be awesome i just hope it folds flat

Any luck selling them steps yet, with those top notch reviews don't see any delay. Lmao! In reguards to the platform kit I have no experience with it, but looking at the pic I see u got to order the seat and brackets. But 70 bucks for a foot of aluminum tube with afew holes drilled seems a bit steep am I missing something?

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:32 pm

The title has me thinking about scouting, prepping trees. My outdoor time is much more of a limit than the gear lately. A summer ago I did gear prep and purchases virtually every week. It is still paying off.

So I think I'm reminding everyone that until green up, you can make a big improvement by being in the woods.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
bwwma

Unread postby bwwma » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:20 am

Yes that's more along the lines of what I was talking about
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:41 pm

I had a thick spot scouted in winter but didn't track down every option to get in or out. But had a GPS , took it through the tough brush filled creek bottom approach and tagged about every 10 feet. This year I did have the confidence to go into the set up. The breadcrumb trail of waypoints worked to put up with branches grabbing at me, turning my head to protect my eyes etc.

That sort of time and level of commitment is easier as time goes by, with practice. And NOT having an audience to be embarrassed by too. It ends up being more of a mental game and the physical part can be shrugged off as normal. Beware of the surroundings since a poison ivy patch is simple to navigate late winter/early spring but is not really a worthwhile approach path in season, for me. The marsh guys must make mental notes for similar challenges that change with seasons.

I'm torn this season, with new spots that are whispering in my ear to find and getting a refresh on previous scouted spots that did not get hunted. Does anyone have a system for revisiting and updating unused points of interest?
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”